Nugent on dove legislation May 2013

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2013/05/wolf_hunt_accomplished_ted_nug.html

Wolf hunt accomplished, Ted Nugent says Michigan should turn to dove season next

Michigan rocker Ted Nugent talks dove hunting Michigan rocker Ted Nugent talks dove hunting.

By Cory Olsen | [email protected] MLive.com
on May 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM, updated May 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — You don't have to wait long to hear an opinion about wildlife management when talking to Michigan native rocker Ted Nugent.

When asked recently about the newly approved wolf hunt, Nugent suggested the state take things one step further: A dove season.

"We can hunt pheasants in Michigan, we can hunt quail in Michigan," Nugent said. "Grouse? Huntable. Woodcock? Huntable. There are more doves in Michigan than all those birds combined. The dove is the No. 1 game species, not just the No. 1 game bird on the planet, it's the No. 1 game species. The mourning dove generates more family hours of recreation than any species including bluegills."

Doves were banned from hunting in 2006. The reason for Michiganders not being able to hunt them? Look to the history of the state's leadership, Nugent said.

"This is insanity," Nugent said. "This is a holdover of the days of (former Detroit mayors) Kwame (Kilpatrick) and Coleman Young and (former governor) Jennifer Granholm that wouldn't know a mourning dove from a pterodactyl."

A recently added piece of legislature, Bill 288, that Gov. Rick Snyder signed into law on May 8, will now put the power of designating game species as well as hunting seasons for those species in the hands of the Natural Resources Commission.

That should help clear up any red tape holding back a dove hunt, Nugent said.

"I'm pleased that scientifically educated professionals will now have the authority to make sure that the universally respected and utilized game species on the planet, that Michigan produces more of than Indiana or Ohio or Illinois, where you can hunt them, that we will legalize dove hunting."

Outspoken about all things wildlife, Nugent said the revenue generated via people using hotels, grocery stores, restaurants and equipment could be huge for Michigan.

"It's about damn time," he said.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By CapDistPatriot
      Southern Zone only. I don't understand why they don't include rifle, only Bow & Muzzy...

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/121333.html
    • By C-H Brad
      Cotton-Hanlon, Inc. is a timber management company that owns over 33,000 acres. To help off set our property tax bills we lease the exclusive hunting rights out to groups or individuals. We've been in the leasing business since 1970. Our goal is to find the 'perfect' woodlot for you and your group. Many of our groups have been leasing from us for over 25 years, so as you can see we value building long term relationships. If this is something that interests you please check out our website for further details.
      The new list of available hunting leases will be published on our website on Friday March 1, 2019 at 7:30 AM
      https://www.cottonhanlon.com/
      We are working on the list right now so I can't give any specific details but it looks like we'll have leases ranging in size from 20 to over 600 acres in the following NY counties:
      Chemung Cortland Oswego Schuyler Tioga Tompkins Again check out our website this Friday March 1, 2019 at 7:30 AM as things go fast. All our contact info. can be found on the website.
      Thanks, Bob 
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Everyone! I just uploaded a new video to my YouTube channel! If ya'll enjoy watching whitetails in the rut then you need to watch this! One of the coolest encounters that I've ever been able to video! All filmed off the back of my horse. Note: this is not on a deer farm. These are all wild free ranging whitetails! I'd love it if ya'll would give me some follows on my hunting pages! You can follow me on Facebook, Instagram  and YouTube at Cross Over the River Outdoors! I hope Ya'll enjoy the video! God Bless! 
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Everyone! This is Louis Backlas/ Cross Over the River Outdoors. I just posted a new video to my YouTube channel that I though ya'll might get a kick out of! Have you ever used a decoy to hunt whitetails? If you haven't before you might want to start! I woke up one morning and look out my front window only  to find that my 3D deer target was in pieces all over the front lawn! A fired up buck decided to take his frustrations out on the target!  this took place sometime in November during the peek of the rut. Hope ya'll get a kick out of it! 

Follow along on my adventures on my pages! You can find Cross Over the River Outdoors on YouTube, Instagram and Facebook! God Bless!