Solar power @ camp 2012-13

A few years ago I wanted to make sure I'd have a back up in case my battery in the Jeep died at camp. Well, that never happened but if so it would be a long walk down a dirt road to any kind of civilization. I have an interest in solar and installer background so it didn't take long to realize and use the potential of solar energy. Quiet power, reserve power, no noisy genney running or extra fuel required, no fumes. The price of lantern fuel is nutz, & what 6$ for a set of 1lb propane canisters. Then there's ice - what's that have to do with anything - well there's the cost and a few bags of ice will only last so long. 

The solar system eliminates the ice issue, no more soggy foods, gone is the extra plastic & metal trash. The older I get, I've found the more that bothers me. Anyhow if you got 10 minutes - enjoy.  ;)  

• Like 2

Good  video....have you thought of increasing your bank and adding wind power as a winter /stormy back up? I ask because we have Cousins that built a two story  recreational cabin from timber on their farm an demo buildings in the area...they have a 6 or 8 cell bank and a small wind generator with solar back up wired to the cabin....being in the hills of Hornell they get lots and lots of power wired through the cabin

Great video. Mind if I ask what the LCD 30 ran you. I just have the controller that came with my harbor freight panels and they don't provide enough information.

Where did you buy your DM solar panel through?

I don't mind at all, the lcd30 was about 80$, it's a Steca pr knock-off. H/F sells one that looks like it but it has different display/metering. I bought the DM panel through Amazon, they're only sold in pairs now. Btw the cynergy panel is from solarblvd, they have occasional deals.

Edited by Fantail

redneck engineering at its finest! We're doing solar on our new camp up in the daks this year. right now most camps run lights and appliances off big propane tanks. Solar will give us the ability to have indoor plumbing and safer lights. Nobody wants to listen to a generator run.

Good  video....have you thought of increasing your bank and adding wind power as a winter /stormy back up? I ask because we have Cousins that built a two story  recreational cabin from timber on their farm an demo buildings in the area...they have a 6 or 8 cell bank and a small wind generator with solar back up wired to the cabin....being in the hills of Hornell they get lots and lots of power wired through the cabin

A small wind turbine would be cool and all but wouldn't work out where my camp is. Most of the time there's hardly a breeze at all. The mosquitoes love it. And I kind of like my jazz at ground level. Yes I do think about adding to the bank, the camper battery box has room for at least 4 GC2 size deep cycles. I can make the current bank last a while longer but doubling the Ah reserve in time for Bow season would be nice. Thanks!