Strange Compass

Pete Collin

Hello All,

I have this old compass that I never use, but am curious about.  It is made by Keuffer + Essel, who made a lot of precision equipment like drafting tools, etc.  It's not a good woods compass, because it is rather bulky and heavy.  It takes the needle a long time to settle down.  It is well made, and the big dial could give you some precision, but it doesn't have a mirror, and the "gunsight" on the lid isn't really good to shoot a line with.  There is no fixture on the underside to attach to a staff.  The strangest thing is the chart inside the lid.  A grid with numbered cells from 1 to 36.  I googled around and couldn't find what it's for.  I assume it's for some kind of point sampling, like to take ore samples, soil samples, or forestry measurements?  Tick off each plot with a crayon as you go?  Maybe one of you know something about this cool old artifact.

Compass.JPG

Edited by Pete Collin

I’m not sure but will ask around.  As a geologist, I use a Brunton compass to measure strikes and dips of bedrock (as well as for orientation and for leveling up to measure the stratigraphy of outcrops.  It too is big, heavy, and built like a tank. The one in the photo I attached was given to me by Turkey Feathers when I stood for him as his best man in his wedding (I think that’s when you gifted it to me Jay…a long time ago).

3E462EBF-668C-4C76-879A-FEAAFAF19BA1.jpeg

6C916C50-DAA5-4AD9-9BA6-624D872CC655.jpeg

• Like 2

Found this…

The RECON compass is a sturdy, precision instrument for ease in handling and complete versatility of use. Made entirely of aluminum, it is not affected by humidity or moisture. It is ideal for surveyors, contractors, foresters, prospectors etc. Cover has township grid, the system utilized in surveying in most areas of the country. Geared declination adjustment on bottom. Rifle-type sighting system. Magnetic deviation correction is by means of a screw accessible from the underside of the casing 

Two classic compasses. Us forester types used to use both of the for laying out roads and locating lines. Does the Recon have a threaded hole for a ball and socket adapter for a Jake staff? For some stuff we used to use the Silva Ranger which is pretty accurate. I usually use the Suunto KB20, that I can usually read to  the nearest degree. 

I think I am getting the gist of the grid.  They pertain to the layout of Township/Ranges in unincorporated land (the boonies).  When I worked in Northwestern Maine, the Delorme Maps would call the square townships something like "T34 R24".  At the Scott Paper office, they gave names to the townships because it was better to say "I'll be up to Hobbstown today, around Whipple Pond" than to say "I'll be in Township 34 Range 24!"  So that grid would not pertain to anything we do in oh-so-domestic western NY.  I was unsure if it had some military application.