Crossbow Update A283

Tinlodge

Since the last update people are asking when A283 is scheduled for a vote in the Assembly. Presently it is not scheduled. And it will take everyone's help for that to happen.

There are a few things that need to happen to get any movement in the Assembly. A283 will be to have amended to be "same as" the Senate bill S1699B that just passed. We do not have time to wait until the bill is amended to put on a push to grow support for this bill. With time running out, we are asking everyone to make the calls to their Assemblymember, asking them to co-sponsor and support A283. Some feel that this is putting the cart before the horse, but when the amendment comes through, the co-sponsors will already be signed on and their names will be on the printed copies. Another problem with waiting is that time is running out and having the support prior to the amendment can help show the desire for this to be moved to a vote.

We also request you call the Speaker of the Assembly, Sheldon Silver, to show the overwhelming support there is for crossbows to become a legal hunting implement. Having his support can only help to get this onto the floor for a vote.

Next, you should contact the Governors office asking for his support to have this bill passed and sent to him for his signature.

All of this takes time and effort. I hear feedback that our efforts are futile. Maybe so, but without them we surely don't stand a chance. With time running out, we must make every effort to have this bill sent to the floor for a vote, along with securing support for passage if we can get it moved.

So, please keep making the calls and sending those emails. This is a Herculean task, but nothing is impossible if we put our minds to it. Even if you have called already, if your member is not signed on, call again. Call the Speaker's and Assemblyman Sweeney's offices requesting they take action on A283.

An don't forget the talking points. If you are a present or former bow hunter please express that (the perception in Albany is that all bowhunters oppose crossbows), let them know the archery/crossbow  associations you are with presently and formerly. Most importantly, be respectful, even if you meet resistance from the person answering the phone, be polite.

Use this link when contacting the Governor. There is an email form which will be recorded and counted.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver
518-455-3791

Assemblyman Robert Sweeney
518-455-5787

Everyone is doing a great job and I get many positive replies daily. Keep up the good work and
Together We Will Succeed.

I can just picture the puzzled look on all the faces of these politicians as they get bombarded by phone calls and emails........I'm sure the majority have no idea what they're voting for or against. All the more reason to get anything hunting related out of their hands,

I can just picture the puzzled look on all the faces of these politicians as they get bombarded by phone calls and emails........I'm sure the majority have no idea what they're voting for or against. All the more reason to get anything hunting related out of their hands,

Agreed! The more we as sportsmen and women call and write, they may realize that conservation issues should be left to the DEC

Idk i can just see it being swept aside, its already june. i think NYS has more to worry about.

Seeing as its moving right along, and was just printed as an amended bill yesterday, Id say its doing ok. Historically, lots of bills get pushed through right toward the end of a session, before they go on a recess.

Personally, Id like to see this bill done correctly, so there are no issues with it, even if it takes a little time.

Seeing as its moving right along, and was just printed as an amended bill yesterday, Id say its doing ok. Historically, lots of bills get pushed through right toward the end of a session, before they go on a recess.

Personally, Id like to see this bill done correctly, so there are no issues with it, even if it takes a little time.

this one is still for the use of crossbows during archery season correct?

Its for the DEC to have the authority to place it where it wants to, so basically, yes.

while you're most likely right about that, it still doesn't necessarily mean they will place it during archery. The DEC also like to hold their public comment periods and what not. So we will see. Not that I even care anymore really.

FYI - Amended bill still has the old 500' rule.

dumb!!!

while you're most likely right about that, it still doesn't necessarily mean they will place it during archery. The DEC also like to hold their public comment periods and what not. So we will see. Not that I even care anymore really.

The DEC already had their public comment periods, etc on the issue.

I thought their 5 year plan arleady outlined their desire to have it included?

• Like 1

The DEC's 2012-2016 Whitetail Mgmt Plan was written, opened to public comments, revised and had a 2nd public comment peroid. Eventually it was adopted by the DEC. It's simply a Plan, changes to regulations or introduction of new ones must go through the painful legislative process. Specifically for this topic, DEC's stance on crossbows is outlined in the Mgmt Plan in Appendix 5.2 (pg53).

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerplan2012.pdf

The DEC's 2012-2016 Whitetail Mgmt Plan was written, opened to public comments, revised and had a 2nd public comment peroid. Eventually it was adopted by the DEC. It's simply a Plan, changes to regulations or introduction of new ones must go through the painful legislative process. Specifically for this topic, DEC's stance on crossbows is outlined in the Mgmt Plan in Appendix 5.2 (pg53).

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerplan2012.pdf

Legislative, yes, additional public comment periods, no.

Does anyone know the DEC's stance regarding Xbows in Westchester County?

The updated bill excludes Westchester and all counties on LI, so I do not believe they will be legal to use there unless there is an additional bill created for those excluded areas. Im not sure that the DEC has specifically stated anything about Westchester at this point.

Heres the wording which excludes those counties

"17. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY INCONSISTENT PROVISION OF THIS ARTICLE, THE DEPARTMENT MAY, BY REGULATION, AUTHORIZE THE TAKING OF WILDLIFE BY THE USE OF A CROSSBOW BY ANY LICENSED PERSON IN ANY HUNTING SEASON, EXCEPT IN THE COUNTIES OF NASSAU, SUFFOLK AND WESTCHESTER."