Crossbow Update A283

Tinlodge

I'm talking about the guys who already cheat with guns in ML season, Texas style feeders, etc. The bad guys, not the good guys.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

tons of that goes on in this area... i hate it in MZ when you can hear ppl goin bang bang bang bang bang bang bang..... we always laugh about how fast that guy is at reloading... or he has a "semi auto muzzeloader"

Its quite the accusation that given hunting is usually not a team effort I would imagine these "bad guys" of the sport are acquaintances of yours? Or do strangers always openly admit how they break the law to you?

As jjb says its no secret...

this stuff goes on in every season and with every type of weapon........no secret there.

exactly!

I shoot 60# but know guys that push 80

thats what im pulling

of course im slinging big ole Easton 2219's too

But remember, you can't just go to any state or province and hunt on your own. In some places that's illegal. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I know British Columbia is 1 of them. I'm headed there in December.

That is true in Canada, but you can go to any US state and hunt DIY without a guide.  Some states and species, such as sheep or mountain goat in Alaska, require a guide for non-residents, but that is very rare.  Hunting is great in this country because anyone can head out west and do a DIY hunt on public land.  Some people just like to pay the big bucks for a guide to increase their odds at killing something, not because it's required.     

Yours is reasonable for a man...but if someone is shooting 80 in NYS it makes no sense to me...we don't have Moose...grizzly...elk...what is the purpose of it? With the new bows arrows fletchings ...at 49 #'s I have had clean pass thru's at 35 -38 yrds...deer down with in 60 yrds...so other than bragging rt's ...why risk the shoulders?

No idea. Trying to get it as flat and fast as possible I guess. In my experience I have needed to be able to hold it for a longer time frame than try to reach out to a long distance. The hoyt I bought is only a 60# max setting so I don't even have to worry about temptation to increase it...lol

• Like 1

Principles of Bowhunting | Ethics | Rules of Fair Chase | Club's Position Statements | Equipment Definitions

Crossbow Policy Statement

The Pope and Young Club was founded to promote bowhunting and to record for posterity the outstanding examples of North American big game animals taken solely with the hunting bow.

For the purpose of the Pope and Young Club, a bow shall be defined as a longbow, recurve bow or compound bow that is hand-held and hand-drawn, and that has no mechanical device to enable the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw. Other than the energy stored by the drawn bow, no device to propel the arrow will be permitted.

Consequently, the Pope and Young Club does not consider the crossbow to be a hunting bow and will not accept any trophies collected by crossbow hunters. Further, the Pope and Young Club considers the use of crossbows during bowhunting seasons to be a serious threat to the future of bowhunting.

The Pope and Young Club therefore recommends the crossbow should not be considered for use in any bowhunting only season. Also, the Club strongly recommends that crossbow hunting be abolished from all existing bowhunting only seasons and the use of crossbows for hunting be restricted to firearms seasons.

• Like 1

Just out of pure curiosity does any bow range on long island or the greater NY area allow the use of crossbows for practice?

Every bowshop in putnam and westchester counties sell crossbows. You can shoot xbows at their ranges. I shot mine and bought mine from flying arrow sports. They beat cabelas prices. Now I practice in my parents backyard.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Not that long ago they said the same about compounds over 60%. 

Before that releases. Have been evolving since their formation.

Membership probably less than 1% of bowhunters.

Hardly the defining authority.

Principles of Bowhunting | Ethics | Rules of Fair Chase | Club's Position Statements | Equipment Definitions

Crossbow Policy Statement

The Pope and Young Club was founded to promote bowhunting and to record for posterity the outstanding examples of North American big game animals taken solely with the hunting bow.

For the purpose of the Pope and Young Club, a bow shall be defined as a longbow, recurve bow or compound bow that is hand-held and hand-drawn, and that has no mechanical device to enable the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw. Other than the energy stored by the drawn bow, no device to propel the arrow will be permitted.

Consequently, the Pope and Young Club does not consider the crossbow to be a hunting bow and will not accept any trophies collected by crossbow hunters. Further, the Pope and Young Club considers the use of crossbows during bowhunting seasons to be a serious threat to the future of bowhunting.

The Pope and Young Club therefore recommends the crossbow should not be considered for use in any bowhunting only season. Also, the Club strongly recommends that crossbow hunting be abolished from all existing bowhunting only seasons and the use of crossbows for hunting be restricted to firearms seasons.

I think there is an argument in regards to lighted sights, but lighted nocks? How is tracking an arrow dismissal for P&Y? I cannot fathom one negative aspect of a lighted nock ot gives and advantage as to post shot placement and can sometimes aid in recovery