Crossbow Update A283

Tinlodge

my point is, that those are the reasons anti crossbow hunters say they are of such a great advantage over what many consider traditional bows....and I am not a rabid anti crossbow person, they would have the same effect on the deer season as the youth season did, minimal at best.......I would gladly take crossbow use in archery season over the antler restrictions that are being shoved down some of our throats.

I gottcha.

Agreed, As NYAntler said last year. If they opened a season using a hammer he would be in the woods. I started out gun hunting and got myself into bow after being exposed to it at scout camp. I love to bow hunt and look forward to it more each year. (I think becasue of the practice sessions and it is the first season of the year). But I still love shotgun, Muzzle loader and now hunting with my pistol. I really just love to hunt more than what I am holding in my hand to do it. I couldn't justify buying a crossbow if they opened the season but I would sure find an excuse too if it ended up in it's own season.

Every time you guys mention that unicorn of a season "hammer season", i get excited! Bring it on already! Ill put a bungee cord in my tree, then tie my harness to it, jump out of my stand, hit the deer in the head with my hammer and bungee to safety! Yeah buddy!

yes, a crossbow by definition is a bow.......but, one removes several of the difficulty factors that make bow hunting a challenge to many............the simple facts that a crossbow does not require it be drawn in the presence of the animal, can be rested on an object as you peer through the sights as the animal approaches from a distance waiting for the right shot, and requires no muscle strength to hold at full draw, have got to be the biggest reason anti crossbow people say they don't belong in archery season....and I can't say I don't agree.

No, a crossbow is not by definition a bow. Arrow Flinger had it exactly right when he said, "A Crossbow isn't a gun or a bow. Its a CROSS between them both".

And my objection to crossbow inclusion into bow season involves the precedent being set that further moves the weapons restrictions farther and farther away from actual bows. Yes there are some very distinct features of a crossbow that trashes many of the original challenges that bow season was created for. Yes, these might be adequate reasons for opposition. But I see no end to the ever expanding re-defining of what is allowed in bow seasons. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and for me that line involves stocks, bi-pods, and the basic elimination of the disciplines and consistencies of shooting a bow.

I don't know what the big issue is, compound v crossbow. I hunt rifle, bow and muzzleloader. I don't care what weapon I use, I'm a happy hunter as long as I'm in the woods having a great time. I would use a spear & boomerang  if there were seasons for them also.

i would bet the boomerang elitists would think the compound bow hunters have an unfair advantage over them.

My guess is that you would be just as happy eliminating all "special seasons" and simply have an "all-weapon" deer season. I may not agree with that thought, but I do respect it as being honest and consistent.

• Like 1

Hold on, you spout that nonsense and call ME clueless?

Let me remind you of what you said...

I could sit here and break that comment down and point out all of the BS, but I dont really need to because its all completely obvious.

So again, if bowhunters (because thats what we are talking about here, not gun hunters) are no more effective than they were 30 years ago, put your money where you mouth is and prove it.

i told you it's on my bucket list. but i'm still waiting for pics of a nice buck you've taken with a bow too don't forget.

No, a crossbow IS a bow. You really should lay off the power trip and stop telling people what they should, shouldnt, can or cant say. :fuck:

opinion, not fact and congress agrees. And you cant hunt with one. so that finger you raised? sit and spin buddy.

Edited by Belo

You can rest a vertical bow while you aim as well, you just need the right stabilizer to do it. The compound has its fair share of advantages over a crossbow as well. Whats your point?

Bottom line is that they both kill in the same manor at the same distances.

Nobody is trying to force anything on you, you will still have the choice NOT to use a crossbow. You guys must be of the same cloth that wants mandatory antler restrictions so that others arent shooting deer that you think shouldnt be killed.

1. never met a hunter, seen a video or read an article about any good bowhunter using a rest

2. no. distance is not the same. Unless you've put in hundreds of hours to shoot an animal with a compound at a hundred yards you're not doing it and it's very, very rare that it would happen. While this guy simply sat down and pulled the trigger

Edited by Belo

Belo - Shooting long distances with a compound is popular around here. However, out west it is very common for guys to shoot antelope, mule deer, and elk at distances of 50-100+yards.

On a side note, anybody get Outdoor Life Magazine? The Deer of the year, a 200" deer was shot in Illinois, I believe.....it was shot with a crossbow!

Belo - Shooting long distances with a compound is popular around here. However, out west it is very common for guys to shoot antelope, mule deer, and elk at distances of 50-100+yards.

On a side note, anybody get Outdoor Life Magazine? The Deer of the year, a 200" deer was shot in Illinois, I believe.....it was shot with a crossbow!

The difference is to accurately shoot long distances with a bow you have to practice practice and practice some more.  with a crossbow you just need to get the scope dialed in for 100 yards and the xbow does the rest. 

The difference is to accurately shoot long distances with a bow you have to practice practice and practice some more.  with a crossbow you just need to get the scope dialed in for 100 yards and the xbow does the rest. 

100 yards with a crossbow is still a big drop, probably 50+ inches. Practice makes perfect.

My guess is that you would be just as happy eliminating all "special seasons" and simply have an "all-weapon" deer season. I may not agree with that thought, but I do respect it as being honest and consistent.

Not really, I wouldn't eliminate any "special season" as I enjoy them all. Just saying that I would hunt with a crossbow too. I am having a great time with any weapon that I happen to have with me, crossbow would be welcome also.

exactly

100 yards with a crossbow is still a big drop, probably 50+ inches. Practice makes perfect.

looks to me in the video i posted that it's no different than a gun on a bipod. squeeze the trigger and let her rip.

I havent watched the video, but he must know where he will hit at 100 yards and aimed accordingly. It wouldn't take anybody more than a week to become proficient at a 100 yards with compound. Couldn't you just have your 4 pins are 70, 80, 90, 100?

Check out youtube there are tons of long shot kills with compounds on video. Let alone all the long shots with compound at water bottle, beer cans, etc.

Anybody can hit a beer can at 100 yards with a compound or an xbow with enough practice and trying.

opinion, not fact and congress agrees. And you cant hunt with one. so that finger you raised? sit and spin buddy.

No, its not an opinion, weve been down this road. Fact is, the NY Senate PASSED the bill overwhelmingly, and the only person keeping it from the Assembly is one guy, Sweeny. Until the Assembly gets to vote on it and veto's it, your comment is baseless.

As far as sitting and spinning on things, please, dont try to pawn your sexual fantasies off on me. I dont swing that way and this is a family site.

1. never met a hunter, seen a video or read an article about any good bowhunter using a rest

2. no. distance is not the same. Unless you've put in hundreds of hours to shoot an animal with a compound at a hundred yards you're not doing it and it's very, very rare that it would happen. While this guy simply sat down and pulled the trigger

1 - I dont care if you have or havent, fact is, they are available, and people use them, or there would be nobody selling them.

2 - That guy didnt kill anything, its target practice, and there are videos of guys taking 100 yard shots with compounds too. Hunting situations dont usually emulate target practice on a range. There are so many more variables in the average hunting situation, which limit your effective range. How about you talk to guys who hunt deer with a crossbow and see what they limit themselves to. There are plenty of them over on Archerytalk, Id me glad to watch how your thread over there goes, I have an account, just send me a link.

I feel comfortable to 40 yards with my xbow, maybe 50 if the deer was broadside, no wind, no spooked, etc. My xbow is 200lb, the max allowed in NY.

When hunting with an Xbow, I have never shot at a deer yet. I hunted in PA and 2 seasons in NY.  In PA, I had does and illegal bucks (AR restrictions) within range. In NY, I had does in range and 1 spike. The spike was blocked by some brush so I didnt take the shot.

I kill a buck almost ever single year in NY with my shotgun, the xbow is much more of a challenge, and I enjoy that and respect bowhunters because of the challenge. I only hunt with my xbow from the ground (no blinds).

1 - I dont care if you have or havent, fact is, they are available, and people use them, or there would be nobody selling them.

2 - That guy didnt kill anything, its target practice, and there are videos of guys taking 100 yard shots with compounds too. Hunting situations dont usually emulate target practice on a range. There are so many more variables in the average hunting situation, which limit your effective range. How about you talk to guys who hunt deer with a crossbow and see what they limit themselves to. There are plenty of them over on Archerytalk, Id me glad to watch how your thread over there goes, I have an account, just send me a link.

1 - First of all, don't believe that everything on the market works, especially when it comes to archery equipment. I have been around new bow equipment inventions for enough years to quote you a practically never ending list of failed products (in fact I own some of them....lol.

2 - Now there is a comment from somebody that is trying to push crossbows so much that they won't even admit to what they just watched. There's no point even trying to have a discussion when a mind is that made up.

1 - First of all, don't believe that everything on the market works, especially when it comes to archery equipment. I have been around new bow equipment inventions for enough years to quote you a practically never ending list of failed products (in fact I own some of them....lol.

2 - Now there is a comment from somebody that is trying to push crossbows so much that they won't even admit to what they just watched. There's no point even trying to have a discussion when a mind is that made up.

Doc, there are a bunch of videos out there of people taking 100 yard shots with vertical bows. What in the world is your or belo's point here? The FACT is, that just because the weapon is capable of something in perfect conditions, doesnt mean you can do the same thing in a hunting situation, with a live animal that moves, etc. You yourself have made that very statement in discussions on long distance archery shots in the past. So now its convenient for you to say differently.

• Like 1

I havent watched the video, but he must know where he will hit at 100 yards and aimed accordingly. It wouldn't take anybody more than a week to become proficient at a 100 yards with compound. Couldn't you just have your 4 pins are 70, 80, 90, 100?

wow. 1 week to be proficient with a compound at 100 yards? you've gone off the deep end buddy. This proves you've never even shot a bow. Very few people are proficient with a rifle at 100 yards after a week unless they're shooting off a bipod and even still.

you just blew me away with that.

I havent taken one yet, and have never claimed to. I havent seen pics of you with a nice buck you took with a bow either. Whats your point?

check my avatar. maybe if you get a crossbow one day you'll get the chance :fuck:

No, its not an opinion, weve been down this road. Fact is, the NY Senate PASSED the bill overwhelmingly, and the only person keeping it from the Assembly is one guy, Sweeny. Until the Assembly gets to vote on it and veto's it, your comment is baseless.

As far as sitting and spinning on things, please, dont try to pawn your sexual fantasies off on me. I dont swing that way and this is a family site.

so you can flip me off but I can't respond to it? got it. Family site with a smiley entitled f#*C. lmao!

oh, and it's still illegal. still winning, and you're still whining.

didn't you know if somebody sells something that means it works?

Snake-Oil.jpg

Edited by Belo

wow. 1 week to be proficient with a compound at 100 yards? you've gone off the deep end buddy. This proves you've never even shot a bow. Very few people are proficient with a rifle at 100 yards after a week unless they're shooting off a bipod and even still.

you just blew me away with that.

I'm talking about target practice not hunting.

Regarding the compound, it would take you more than a week to hit a paper plate at 100 yards? Come on, after 10-15 attempts you will know where to aim and you will hit it.

Regarding the rifle, once the gun is sighted in correctly, anybody who doesn't flinch can be proficient at 100 yards. You can take any joe schmo off the streets who never shot a gun a before and get them to hit a paper plate at a 100 yards with a sighted in gun, as long as they don't flinch.

• Like 1

The compound bow is more accurate due to the fact of a consistent anchor point. String loops have become a must for extreme accuracy. The arrow sits between the string loop knots and the release is held on the string loop in the same place every time making it very accurate. The crossbow has to be drawn and locked into a latch where the consistent string position can be compromised, allowing for the arrow to hit the left or to the right of the target.

This is why Competitive Compound Bow Shooters score higher than Cross Bow Shooters in the same tournament.

"check my avatar. maybe if you get a crossbow one day you'll get the chance :fuck:"

Oh Ive had chances at deer that would probably make you fall out of your stand, just havent sealed the deal yet. It will happen, and it will happen with my Hoyt.

"so you can flip me off but I can't respond to it? got it. Family site with a smiley entitled f#*C. lmao!

oh, and it's still illegal. still winning, and you're still whining."

You cant recognize that your crap stinks like everyone else's and you cant recognize sarcasm. Im not whining about anything at all bub, but you sure will be when when the DEC sticks crossbows into archery season. :bye: