Crossbow Update A283

Tinlodge

The "moderator" just fuels the fire and trashes bowhunters. The majority does not want xguns in archery season, just the gun hunters who don't want to take the time to learn a vertical bow. The only ones who should get a say what goes in archery season are those that have archery licenses. 

Otherwise its like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coup.

I would hope moderators would be allowed to express their opinions too...........as long as the discussion is kept on track and people don't resort to personal attacks all should be good.

• Like 1

The "moderator" is a bow hunter if you follow along a little. I don't know him or always agree with what he believes, but all are entitled to opinions. I agree with him on this and antler restrictions. Just let people hunt and take what buck and or doe that they can legally harvest.

Deer hunters need to quit being so darn selfish. I have never even fired a cross bow, nor do I have any desire to hunt with one. On that note, if you want to use one during archery season, I have no objections because I am not better than you just because I can harvest deer with a bow. If you happen to shoot one of the nice bucks I have scouted out, I will gladly get out of my stand and help you get it to the road and congratulate you.

I worry more about the lack of hunters than adding a new weapon to archery. Sure, opening weekend of gun season shows a lot of hunters, but then the woods go quiet again. I bet that I didn't hear 50 shots all season, and the majority of them are right at dawn and dusk, not from guys actually in the woods hunting.

• Like 1

I would hope moderators would be allowed to express their opinions too...........as long as the discussion is kept on track and people don't resort to personal attacks all should be good.

JJB's correct. WNY has always at least left the personal attacks out of it. He has a right to his opinion too and to my knowledge hasn't used his "powers" in any negative way. He's not the only MOD either. Doc sticks his head into these threads as well and he's on the other side of the fence. If they start banning or censoring based on opinion then this place would die out quickly. Those that enjoy the debate and drama help keep the traffic up in the slow seasons. And if you're not into the drama then you don't have to enter the 2 or 3 active threads. it's that simple.

Lets give the Anti's some more to hold against us! They have to love seeing the sporting community fight among themselves

I suggest that the Moderator close this topic.

while we disagree on crossbows, I believe you'll find most bowhunters are some of the biggest advocates for the sport you'll find. I don't believe hunting is in any jeopardy. It's a primal instinct of man kind. I rarely hear much about protests anymore and even the anti-gun movement has publicly stated they're going to leave hunters alone.

The biggest issue we face by far as a sport is land access and availability.

Edited by Belo

. The majority does not want xguns in archery season, just the gun hunters who don't want to take the time to learn a vertical bow. The only ones who should get a say what goes in archery season are those that have archery licenses. 

Where did that survey come from that the "majority"  are against crossbows? I haven't seen that one.

• Like 4

I would like to express my opinion on xbows. I am a 72 year old man who has been hunting since I was 14.  With age I have had back problems that might stop me from enjoying archery season.  Since there is no provision for the use of xbow yet,  the past time I have enjoyed is coming to an end.  It makes me mad that a small group of limited minded people want to take the sport away from me..

In regard to hunting in jeopordy, that area that I live and hunt on has seen less and less hunters on the state land as time goes on. Just my thoughts and observations.

• Like 2

I'd be curious to see how much $ NYS loses this year because of the crossbow ban.  The last 2 years, I bought the late ML/Bow tag, I think its $21, so I can hunt with the crossbow.  This year, I took my archery hunter's safety course and planned to buy an archery license to hunt with the xbow during the archery. Instead, I am back to just buying my gun license.

I'd be curious to see how much $ NYS loses this year because of the crossbow ban.  The last 2 years, I bought the late ML/Bow tag, I think its $21, so I can hunt with the crossbow.  This year, I took my archery hunter's safety course and planned to buy an archery license to hunt with the xbow during the archery. Instead, I am back to just buying my gun license.

Any reason you don't just shoot a bow?

compound bows are less accurate than X bows because of the user's ability to hold a string back

you don't need any skill to hold the string on a Xbow, its like Ron Popeils SET iT and FORGET IT

That's incorrect.  Yes, xbows are "easier" to shoot. However, in competitions, compounds beat the crossbows majority of the times.

Any reason you don't just shoot a bow?

Can't draw back and hold.

The compound bow is more accurate due to the fact of a consistent anchor point. String loops have become a must for extreme accuracy. The arrow sits between the string loop knots and the release is held on the string loop in the same place every time making it very accurate. The crossbow has to be drawn and locked into a latch where the consistent string position can be compromised, allowing for the arrow to hit the left or to the right of the target. This is why Competitive Compound Bow Shooters score higher than Cross Bow Shooters in the same tournament.

you cant just mark your string so you lock it into the latch at the same point? or use a d-loop?

fact remains you have no issue regarding (drawing on a deer) movement, letting down if that deer stays behind the tree to long ect... there is no comparison between a crossbow and a compound other than they both have strings and limbs,

if NYS wants xbow hunters make it another season, if you like the challenge use it during the rifle season. it has no place during the regular bow season (unless you are handicapped) legit handicapped...

you cannot convince me that a xbow that you can set at the house, walk into the woods, use a rest, use a scope ect... in anyway shape or form compares to a compound bow

I'm sorry to hurt your feelings, but many other states disagree with you, including NJ and PA, and soon to be CT.  It's only a matter of time before NY allows xbow hunting in the archery season. It didn't happen in 2013, it might not happen in 2013, but it will happen within the next few years, at most.

I would like to express my opinion on xbows. I am a 72 year old man who has been hunting since I was 14.  With age I have had back problems that might stop me from enjoying archery season.  Since there is no provision for the use of xbow yet,  the past time I have enjoyed is coming to an end.  It makes me mad that a small group of limited minded people want to take the sport away from me..

In regard to hunting in jeopordy, that area that I live and hunt on has seen less and less hunters on the state land as time goes on. Just my thoughts and observations.

majority of us would like to see it passed for elderly and disabled. it's been said over and over.

well bowhunter numbers have been on the rise. so it cant be that bad...

That's incorrect.  Yes, xbows are "easier" to shoot. However, in competitions, compounds beat the crossbows majority of the times.

Can't draw back and hold.

you're comparing professional archers to the average hunter.

I'm sorry to hurt your feelings, but many other states disagree with you, including NJ and PA, and soon to be CT.  It's only a matter of time before NY allows xbow hunting in the archery season. It didn't happen in 2013, it might not happen in 2013, but it will happen within the next few years, at most.

says the guy who claimed he would be hunting this year...

Edited by Belo

Belo - Put your $ where you mouth is if your so confident. 

$1,000 bet.

Crossbows allowed in archery season in New York in 2014, 2015, or 2016 = I win

2017 or later = You win.

I am 100% serious. We can sign a contract.

$1,000 bet.

2017 or later = You win.

Better yet, when I win, please send the $1,000 to http://www.nycrossbowcoalition.com/ on my behalf.

Again, I am 100% serious. I will sign a contract with you.

$1,000 bet.

2017 or later = You win.

does that mean there's the potential that this thread will be kept going till 2017?

$1,000 bet.

2017 or later = You win.

I never said I was confident. You're the one who was all cocky and confident. Do I need to requote you again?

$1000 bet where you get 3 years? come on... for what it's worth I agree that  it's probably just a matter of time. We've seen with our second amendment rights and universal health care and now with reversal of abortion acts ect... My point is not to say the crossbow issue is on the same level, but that groups will keep pushing and pushing whenever differences of opinions are had. Some times all it takes is a foot in the door and a reason, IE sandy hook. Interesting to see if "stand your ground" is repealed in flordia.

I will never stop "arguing over the net". why? honestly, I enjoy the debate and it kills time when I get a free minute. I will not stop giving money to NYB, and I will not stop shooting my bow. There is no end to any of this. even if they're legalized there will be an effort to make them illegal. it's a circle.

Edited by Belo

A forum on crossbows was held May 22 at the state Capitol, where, for several hours, anyone wishing to speak for or against crossbow hunting in New York would be heard. There were 13 that spoke at this forum, and ALL were pro-crossbow. Where was that group of New York Bowhunters whose web site plainly states that they “are opposed to any weapon, other than those bows drawn, held and released by hand in any archery season or archery season-only area?”

It seems to me that NYB has given up. The result is inevitable.

• Like 1

time will tell, but for now

Crossbow Hunting

Please note: the law allowing use of crossbows expired on December 31, 2012. Crossbows may no longer be used for hunting in New York.

:gamer:

I will just hunt in CT and PA.

However, I would bet there are a lot of people who will hunt with xbows during archery this season in New York, just like the guys who hunt with those interchangeable T/C's, and use rifles or shotguns during ML season.