Can’t bring home food I paid for !?

Nomad

Has anyone run into this or work in the industry ? So with all the wedding stuff, shower, rehearsal dinner and so on ,we’ve been told we can’t bring left over food home that we paid for . So the shower there were sealed trays of wraps left , wife was told NYS Regs don’t allow them to let people bring it home . WTF we paid for it , and if we ate dinner there, we could bring leftovers home . When asked what they do with it ,oh employees will eat some of it , then get this they had a Wrap special on the board that night , so they sell it twice . If nothing else I would have dropped it off at a firehouse .

Same deal at the upcoming rehearsal dinner . 

I was just at a wedding last Sunday. Of course at the end it all the deserts that are out. They came out with boxes for everyone to take home. That was deserts not dinner. I don't even want to get into what was left at the cocktail hour. Good ol' fashion Long Island wedding busting at the seems! 

• Like 1

Speaking of regulations, these joints are in the City , I see a rough patch ahead on their next inspections . Hell I might point out some violations while I’m there JK…maybe .

I don’t want to stuff plastic bags, but covered trays of untouched wraps should go to my neighbors ,and well a couple for me .

Private party at a restaurant near Village Gate, serving stations , they announced to take home whatever you wanted . 

Im just trying to see if there’s an actual code on buffet style food or if I’m just being scammed ,well the whole wedding industry is a scam anyways .

• Like 1

My wife’s best friend had rehearsal dinner at Next Door a few months ago.  They were leaving for honeymoon 2 days later so they handed out all the leftovers.  Staff even packed it up in takeout containers.  It was great, I had lunches for a week.  So I’m calling BS on the state reg.   

• Like 1

Fairly common at weddings to have to go boxes for candy, desert, or food even food trucks. Not sure why you couldn’t take it. Seems odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This was not the wedding it was the shower. If he answers my question as to how the shower was agreed on… price per person or price for x amount of food I can explain it to Him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

This was not the wedding it was the shower. If he answers my question as to how the shower was agreed on… price per person or price for x amount of food I can explain it to Him

But why not explain to him if it was per person instead of saying it's NYS law and has to be dumped? 

12 hours ago, Chef said:

So how did you order this food? Was there an agreed per person price or did you pay for x amount of trays of food?

So how it’s ordered is a NYS regulation as too take home  ? I believe it was per person , just like the wedding and rehearsal dinner is .

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

So how it’s ordered is a NYS regulation as too take home  ? I believe it was per person , just like the wedding and rehearsal dinner is .

If it was per person, then the venue was correct in not letting people take it. You got charged for how many people were present. Leftovers are the venues.  

Agree they were stupid in lying to you about regulations, but it sounds like they have had issues in the past with people wanting the leftovers and things may have gotten ugly, so now it's easier to say NYS regs... 

• Like 1

No, If you paid per person, that is for the time you are there. Those sealed trays belong to them and they can do what they please with them. It is not your food to take home.

If you paid for x amount of trays then you own the trays and could take them home.

Does that make sense ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mowin said:

If it was per person, then the venue was correct in not letting people take it. You got charged for how many people were present. Leftovers are the venues.  

Agree they were stupid in lying to you about regulations, but it sounds like they have had issues in the past with people wanting the leftovers and things may have gotten ugly, so now it's easier to say NYS regs... 

interesting , I was not there nor did I learn of it until yesterday ,while discussing the upcoming events with my wife , when she told me about it . I’d say it would be easier to be upfront about it and have it in writing when deposit was made . Meeting of the minds and all that .

There was no signed contract , nor was anything told to her prior , so their “policy ,or industry standard “ has no baring in this matter . 

Never ran across such a thing ,and everything is per person . It’s all in the passed now .

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

No, If you paid per person, that is for the time you are there. Those sealed trays belong to them and they can do what they please with them. It is not your food to take home.

If you paid for x amount of trays then you own the trays and could take them home.

Does that make sense ?

Thanks , I understand but no it doesn’t make sense  . Never in scores of retirement ,Christmas, private parties weddings and such have I once ran into this . It’s all been per person , with a head count needed prior . 

Being upfront about things and put it in writing would be nice no ? 

If the food is not properly stored by the party taking it, it could put the caterer/facility at risk of liability for food poisoning.  There is even a federal statute that exempts them from that liability unless there was gross negligence or intentional misconduct if the food is donated to a not for profit.  They are just CYAing here.   Tell your folks to eat as much as they want while the food is under the care of the facility.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-104publ210/pdf/PLAW-104publ210.pdf

Did a quick search because i was curious.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Tell every guest to keep asking for more food/wraps/whatever until all food has been unwrapped/de-trayed/served/is no longer the un served property of the business. THEN instruct them AFTER the plated food is on the table you'd like to wrap the plated, served food for each guest so each can take one home.  There's always a solution to the problem :)

I know they when I got married, we pay by the plate so there were technically there no leftovers. But the desserts like leftover cakes and cookies from the cookie tray went home with us or guest.

If you paid a cater to bring food to say a lodge or something like that any leftovers are yours.