Moccasins

heavuser

I'm a lazy stand hunter.  I let them come to me. Sitting in a funnel with some snacks, they are bound to come.

On a side note I had a pair of Minnetonka mocs with a decent outdoor sole on them, I think they were "driving moccasins ". I would recommend a sole like that if you do decide to stalk in them.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, kpkot said:

I'm a lazy stand hunter.  I let them come to me. Sitting in a funnel with some snacks, they are bound to come.

On a side note I had a pair of Minnetonka mocs with a decent outdoor sole on them, I think they were "driving moccasins ". I would recommend a sole like that if you do decide to stalk in them.

I get bored sitting there waiting :/

That being said, I'm sure I'll  log plenty of hours in the stand this year. 

I get bored sitting there waiting :/
That being said, I'm sure I'll  log plenty of hours in the stand this year. 

If it’s early season, what about heavy socks?

My early season bow boots are always hiking boots and really quiet when I walk slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a friend all he uses is the lacrosse boots. He doesn’t do straight up spot and stalk but he’s killed 90% of his deer walking through the woods.  He likes how light they are and he can feel the sticks and everything underneath him. It keeps him pretty quite in the woods he also one of those guys with his stride that just floats through the woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavuser said:

True, some heavy socks might do the trick.... 

Any type of sock will collect leaves, making you noisier.

I use a light tactical boot with a flexible sole, as real moccasins offer no sole or ankle support and will usually leave you in pain after a day of stalking.

I've found that deer don't mind leaves crunching all that much, as the woods are filled with squirrels and other ground feeding creatures making a lot of noise, you just need to keep from snapping twigs and hope the wind doesn't change direction.

I was taught to stalk from tree to tree, using the tree as cover and if needed, as a rest for taking a shot.

Practicing stalking squirrels in September is a good way to get ready for deer season.

• Like 4

I like my LL Bean boots for stalking.  Vey lightweight, keep my feet dry and warm with a pair of wool socks.  I also wait for when the leaves are wet and carefully watch my step.  Tree to tree cover is good advice.

Back in the 80s when I was a teen I dated a girl whose father was about as close to a mountain man you could meet in  the north east . He hunted the flintlock season in PA. He hunted in buckskin a long stocking cap and a moccasin  type boot . All leather and laced up to his knees.  He use to make flinlocks as a side job. Made his own knives  and clothing . He would kill big bucks in  deep snow wearing this outfit. I was impressed with how he hunted this way . I thought he was crazy but impressed.  His daughter was batchit crazy too ...

• Like 1