Howa m1500 Kratos in 6.5 cr

Bolt action

Anyone know anything about this rifle? seems hard to find information on the exact model online. 

I don't really need another gun right now, but.... Saw this one yesterday and might have to jump on it. Saw it in a local store. I asked for a clerk to meet me at the gun counter, but I got tired of waiting around so ended up leaving without getting much information on it. The tag said Legacy Sports International m1500. I believe it had either a 22 or 24 inch barrel. The barrel was a bronze-ish color though, not carbon fiber, and the end was ported. It was in a green digital camo pattern, and had a detachable box mag.

They are the same action as the Weatherby Vanguard.  Howa makes the Vanguard for Weatherby as far as I understand.  They are made in Japan but that wouldn't stop me from getting one.  They are good guns.  I'd take the Howa over a Savage or Ruger American, or any of those type of rifles with those crumby accu-triggers any day of the week.

• Like 2

Howa is a Japanese firearms company that has been around for many years that has a good track record. Their 1500 bolt action rifles have a reputation for good quality, reliability and accuracy. Years ago Smith and Wesson contracted Howa to make a bolt action rifle for them to market, from what I saw of them they were a good buy. Today they market under their own name and make Weatherby's Vangard rifles which are guaranteed to group an inch or under with good quality ammo.

If there is a particular model that they make that you like I do not think one would go wrong.

Al

• Like 1

I won the same gun at the QDMA banquet.   Trigger was very nice.  I sold it before shooting it but I was impressed.   Probably should have kept it since I had to win a live auction on a knife (1 of 12) to be in it to win the gun and another guy spent a ton buying 10 of the 12 knives to win the howa.   He was not happy when I was the last man standing with only 1 of 12 chances.  I almost felt bad.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I won the same gun at the QDMA banquet.   Trigger was very nice.  I sold it before shooting it but I was impressed.   Probably should have kept it since I had to win a live auction on a knife (1 of 12) to be in it to win the gun and another guy spent a ton buying 10 of the 12 knives to win the howa.   He was not happy when I was the last man standing with only 1 of 12 chances.  I almost felt bad.

Should have given him your knife afterwards lol

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight was the first chance that I had to upload some pics. It's a howa 1500 with a Kratos stock. It has a 22-in barrel and is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I have looked and looked but can't find anything on a model that has a cerakote barrel or the muzzle at the end. With that said, this thing shoots. I'm getting sub MOA groups with factory ammo.

IMG_20220818_170855125.jpg

IMG_20220818_170919384.jpg

IMG_20220818_170933799.jpg

Edited by Bolt action
  • Like 5

On 8/21/2022 at 10:31 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

What did that cost you , guessing at Runnings store?

Just saw this..

rifle cost me $400+tx, sling and scope I already had.. The price was appealing when I first saw it. Then the store dropped it when I went back in. Picked it up at the local DSG. I've found some slammer deals on firearms there over the past few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bolt action said:

Just saw this..

rifle cost me $400+tx, sling and scope I already had.. The price was appealing when I first saw it. Then the store dropped it when I went back in. Picked it up at the local DSG. I've found some slammer deals on firearms there over the past few years.

I thought DSG stopped all sales..not been there since 2013.

Anyways nice addition :)

• Like 1