35,000 for a new tractor what would you buy?

Your probably best bet is Massey right there in Hornell. Or Kubota up in Atlanta. I would avoid NEW Holland as many of their new tractors are having electrical issues, even after "repaired".. And the John deere have a couple models that require attention as well. But the Massey is a great tractor and local!   

• Like 1

A big consideration in this should also be service. It WILL eventually need service. If the dealership has a good reputation and is close by, it can make a big difference in the total cost of ownership. Some of the New Holland/LS dealers that look like lawn tractor sales places probably don't have the same parts inventory or service center as a larger dealership.

It sounds like the Massy dealer is close by and if they have good reviews, it may be the best choice for you. I would just avoid some of the tractors that are coming from Korea and India. I have heard horror stories form people trying to get parts and service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, First-light said:

I decided to go with a Massy 1835. Loaded Ag tires, bucket and a 5' Woods brush hog. Free delivery. 29 K. I just couldn't pass it up and thought price was very good. 

My man, great choice. I'm assuming that's the M series with all the bells and whistles. You will love it, enjoy and take it slow. Is it geared or hydro?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

My man, great choice. I'm assuming that's the M series with all the bells and whistles. You will love it, enjoy and take it slow. Is it geared or hydro?

No it's the E series, had to watch what I spent. He did not have a 1835M only a 1840M. The 1840M was a dream tractor!

I went geared. Thanks

I know the rule is go bigger than you think, but we've really gravitated to smaller units. Kubota UTV is 400 series and our Kubota tractor is 4wd and small/compact. We towed both on the trailer down to Ohio last weekend.

We used it to get in and mow trails in narrow, hilly, and winding places that the larger tractor and farm tractors wouldn't be able to do. We also used the bucket extensively along those trails. Mobility is key for us in the way we use it. I get why people always say go bigger/more HP, but for us the smaller sizes work better. 

Congrats on the new rig. Should be helpful around the place.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, First-light said:

I decided to go with a Massy 1835. Loaded Ag tires, bucket and a 5' Woods brush hog. Free delivery. 29 K. I just couldn't pass it up and thought price was very good. 

Congrats on the new tractor and welcome to the club and by club, I mean Implement Addicts Anonymous. Soon you will find yourself searching CL for hours looking for the next used implement you "need". Then you'll start dreaming about projects and using acronyms like MMM and FEL. The other members probably won't help you refrain from giving into your impulses but at least you'll know you're not the only one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2022 at 4:24 PM, First-light said:

Im going with the Massey soon as well! Good choice! 

• Like 1

Well I switched gears after stoping in today at the Massy dealer. They have the E and M series. I was going to buy the 1835 E. The 1835 M is bigger in all aspects. Also has a power shuttle. I asked them for a quote on the M and it was 3k more. A no brainer for me. So I take delivery in a week or so. I took some picts before I left. Thanks for all the input into the decision. 

68358012325__B12D0F6D-87EA-49F6-A94B-5C8BBAD05DD7.jpeg

68358011200__5CDE1F5C-FB63-42E3-B1C4-70262373FAD3.jpeg

68358010155__D2E42438-19C8-42A1-A5DF-BFB4B2528FEC.jpeg

• Like 13

On 8/6/2022 at 11:23 PM, GreenDrake said:

I bought this 2019 New Holland Workmaster 60. Hp  bought a 72 inch woods brush hog…rock bucket…loader bucket and Grapple Bucket…all in for $41G. They welded 3 hooks on the bucket too. Its a great machine.  I was going to buy a 32 hp first…but glad I went with the 60. Shuttle shift 

91E35215-6559-4D4A-9EAB-7ACE994F9C55.jpeg

that tractor looks like it's worth more than the shack. I'd love a grapple bucket for after trimming fruit tree. Such a pain clearing brush piles. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 1:37 PM, Belo said:

that tractor looks like it's worth more than the shack. I'd love a grapple bucket for after trimming fruit tree. Such a pain clearing brush piles. 

I couldn't wait to tear it down!! That is now where my log pile is from the 100 trees we took out on the front of the property where the house is going.

• Like 1

Congrats @First-lightI don't have a lot of experience with the under 50hp tractors. that said shifting and transmissions are all over the place in operation and function now. Our new holland workmasters, big JD 4WD, and 90hp Kubota loader, to the little old Kubota B7200 4WD. The shuttle with gears is very user friendly and quick with a loader. It's what's on our M9000 Kubota. it should serve you well. that said nobody's mentioned quick detach bucket. hard to tell from pics if you've got them? a nice feature to have. when planting and doing other work it lets you see out in front of you. pallet forks and other stuff can be picked up after the fact from about anywhere.

• Like 1

Congrats @First-lightI don't have a lot of experience with the under 50hp tractors. that said shifting and transmissions are all over the place in operation and function now. Our new holland workmasters, big JD 4WD, and 90hp Kubota loader, to the little old Kubota B7200 4WD. The shuttle with gears is very user friendly and quick with a loader. It's what's on our M9000 Kubota. it should serve you well. that said nobody's mentioned quick detach bucket. hard to tell from pics if you've got them? a nice feature to have. when planting and doing other work it lets you see out in front of you. pallet forks and other stuff can be picked up after the fact from about anywhere.