Brassica mix additions?

Looking for guys' opinions on adding some additional seeds to a Whitetail Institute Tall Tine Tubers. I've got about 2 acres to plant and was thinking of adding in some clover and rye to ensure I get a coverage. I'll be no-till drilling the seed and its been my experience with the seeder (Woods 72" FPS) that even with the best calibration efforts I end up a little short. Think of adding some of the other seeds to avoid that shortfall. 

Anyone have suggestions for what other seeds to add?

The soil was tested and its in decent shape but I'm going to true Whitetail Institutes Impact soil amendment for the heck of it. Interested in what it does. 

Thanks all. 

1 minute ago, Marsala-man said:

How do I stretch with sand? Is it as simple as mixing 50#s of sand with my 12#s of seed and then adding to seeder box?

You just adjust the volume.  Not 50lbs.  I just eyeball it.  If you think you are going to come up a "gallon" of seed short, then add that much in sand.  I use pelletized lime because I'm always adding a little for pH maintenance.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

You just adjust the volume.  Not 50lbs.  I just eyeball it.  If you think you are going to come up a "gallon" of seed short, then add that much in sand.  I use pelletized lime because I'm always adding a little for pH maintenance.  

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

If anything to stretch the seed add sand 

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

If anything to stretch the seed add sand

That's why I love reading these threads, I've picked up lot's of great tricks. Never thought of this. Thanks!

• Like 1

Drill your brassicas/bulbs. but as far as Rye and Clovers go.. They should go in September. Clover wont do anything this fall, but in spring will take off. The Rye and clover will compete with your brassicas and stunt their growth. Unless you thin out your seed ratios. 

IMO, brassicas now. Seed your rye and Clovers in mid to late September.   There's no reason really to plant Rye now. Its more of a cover crop and green food source and should be around the 6" height going into Winter.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Marsala-man said:

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

Another method I use is to split my seed in half.  It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but it can keep you from running out of seed.  I try to cover the plot in one direction (north to south, say) and then go over it again (east to west).  I almost always use this method with really small seed like clover and brassicas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marsala-man said:

How do I stretch with sand? Is it as simple as mixing 50#s of sand with my 12#s of seed and then adding to seeder box?

Add same volume of sand to seed to double your seed coverage..  half volume of sand to make it cover 50% more...  brassica is ver small seed a coarse dry play sand works best for me a 50 lb bag should last a few years doing smaller plots..

• Like 1

WI tall tine tubers are coated so the seeds are larger than sand. I would think adding daikon radish seed uncoated is about the same size. Radish really helps improve soil as they dig down deep and what deer don't eat rots in spring loosening soil.  Got mine from Hancock. Just planted a mix with some WI winter greens in the mix too. 

• Like 1