First officially confirmed Coyote sighting by DEC on Long Island

JimmyDaSavage

Not sure if anyone saw this but it was in the paper yesterday and online. I copied and pasted the article and attached the pic as you have to be a subscriber to read the article online.

The first officially confirmed Long Island coyote sighting was announced Monday by the Department of Environmental Conservation in Bridgehampton, and the agency is investigating whether others are in the area, a spokesman said.

"To the best of my knowledge, this is the first confirmed sighting in Nassau and Suffolk counties," Bill Fonda of the DEC said in an email. "DEC would not expect to see a coyote in Bridgehampton, but there have been many reports of coyote sightings on Fishers Island."

DEC staff examined a photo provided by an area farmer and confirmed it a coyote, Fonda said in an email.

"When staff go out they will look for other things like paw tracks . . . that might indicate that this animal is in the area," Fonda said.

Richard Wesnofske, 50, a farmer who said he saw the creature in his potato field in adjoining Water Mill, snapped a photo with his iPhone around 7 a.m. Monday, June 24. The creature gave him a glance, said Wesnofske, and looked to be "in no hurry to run away. . . . [it] went about his business and didn't seem affected by seeing me."

Wesnofske said he sent the photo to a hunting guide. The guide, who said he had seen a coyote in recent years, sent the photo to the DEC.

Mike Bottini, a wildlife biologist in East Hampton, said he's been expecting a coyote "would make it out this way," having heard of their presence in Queens and Manhattan and seen evidence -- tracks, scat and photos -- of a breeding population on Fishers Island.

It could have either swum the Long Island Sound or crossed from New York City, said Javier Monzon, a postdoctoral fellow at Stony Brook University and a coyote expert.

If the coyote took the city route, it would be surprising for it to be first spotted so far east, he said.

Coyote characteristics

Looks similar to a medium-sized German shepherd. One distinguishing feature -- runs with its tail down

Makes yipping, yelping, howling sounds

Lives in mated pairs, family units, usually not in packs

Eats mostly rabbits and rodents, but also grasshoppers, berries, melon, carrion, cats, small dogs, pet food, garbage

Sighted in New York City and its northern suburbs; also on Fishers Island

Source: NYS DEC, Cornell Cooperative Extension

post-1287-0-52852000-1372786912_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

I've been getting them here where I live and I live in the Bronx.  Use to see two every other night at the park where I walk my dog blocks from my apartment 2 years ago.  I caught one of them on my iPhone video but it came out dark and grainy  They were eventually removed because and I stopped seeing them.  I heard from a guy around the neighborhood that he recently spotted a new one twice in the pass couple of months.  I haven't seen it though so I'll believe it when I see it.

Not sure about LI but here in the Bronx it is suspected that they followed the MetroNorth train tracks.  Not the tracks themselves mind you but the wooded area next to the tracks to block the unsightly views from house near the train.

So how did they get out there?

Good question.  I would go with the swimming across the LI sound theory.  If they somehow made their way from NYC, lets say using the LIRR routes, I think you would have had more sightings in Queens and Nassau counties before you'd have seen them as far out as the Hamptons.

Good question.  I would go with the swimming across the LI sound theory.  If they somehow made their way from NYC, lets say using the LIRR routes, I think you would have had more sightings in Queens and Nassau counties before you'd have seen them as far out as the Hamptons.

Thats a hell of a swim for a yote though. 

Thats a hell of a swim for a yote though. 

Yeah, it would be.  I somehow think that if they came thru the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens route, you would have had them gradually make their way out, and you would have had people seeing them more often in those places.  I find it unlikely that a few went straight out to eastern LI without stopping for very long in the areas of Queens and Nassau counties.  Who knows for sure?  Maybe the DEC dropped them from planes in oil drums like they did with the mountain lions upstate? LOL

Yeah, it would be.  I somehow think that if they came thru the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens route, you would have had them gradually make their way out, and you would have had people seeing them more often in those places.  I find it unlikely that a few went straight out to eastern LI without stopping for very long in the areas of Queens and Nassau counties.  Who knows for sure?  Maybe the DEC dropped them from planes in oil drums like they did with the mountain lions upstate? LOL

I'd crap my pants if I saw a Yote passing through Levittown. 

im confused how this is news. those bastards are everywhere

Because you have to pass through the city to get to the Island.  I find it hard to believe they swam across the LI Sound. I think the shortest point is over 10 miles?

Maybe the DEC released them :)

im confused how this is news. those bastards are everywhere

Look at a map and see what blocks LI from the rest of the mainland?  Just a small dinky town called New York city.  They either have to swim a good distance or cross bridges or tunnels that are heavily used by motor vehicles.

Because you have to pass through the city to get to the Island.  I find it hard to believe they swam across the LI Sound. I think the shortest point is over 10 miles?

Maybe the DEC released them :)

?? 10 Miles?  maybe 3 miles western sound

10 miles is probably it's widest

maybe they just came over the throgs neck bridge :)