Glimmerglass State Park (Otsego lake)

njg0621

Has anyone ever stayed here? I am looking for some info... my wife and I are going to camp here this weekend and I was planning on bringing my boat (16ft Lowe v bottom fishing boat).  It doesn't look like there is a launch at the campground but there is down the street in Cooperstown.  I guess there are only ten spots to park at that launch.  My main problem is a place to keep the boat overnight Friday and Saturday.  Is there a place to park the boat overnight in the campground? Any advice would be appreciated! I just don't want to tow the boat all the way up there and then not be able to park it somewhere. 

Edited by njg0621

I've stayed there a couple of times. It's the campsite of "NO"! The staff has been unprofessional and rude to me.

Other than that, the campsite its self is very nice.

There is a creek that runs through the campsite and into the lake. I pulled my boat up on the bank for the night. It's real shallow going from the creek out into the lake. You can row, poll or walk out till there's enough water to put the engine down.

Enjoy the campsite and good luck.

I've camped there before. It does have a boat launch for hand launching.  Have not had a boat there, so not sure how shallow their launch is.

If you get a creek-side site then there is room for the trailer.  If you are in one of the circle sites, then it will be tight.

Last time I was there, place was kept clean, grass mowed, friendly staff - but that was 2 years ago.

They had a cold spell in August when I was there - had to head into town to get sweatshirts for the kids.  We pulled in at 3:00 in the afternoon and everyone was wearing sweatshirts or jackets already.  First 3 days we stayed away from the water, as it was too cold to swim.

They have a large living history museum on the northwest side of town - school house, farm museum, working blacksmith shop, etc.  Of course there is the baseball hall of fame and ball field too.

Close to Richfield Springs is a working cider mill and country store.

There is another campground, Beaver Valley Campground, that is south of town.  No place to use a boat there, but it is another decent place to camp.  They have a regulation ball field there and a fossil pit to explore.  Yes, my kids did find several fossils.

Enjoy the camping.

Edited by Two Track