New TICK borne-illness

GR HUNTER

Don't know if anyone has already posted the article, but here's the link.

Ran across this online the other day. Thought it might be useful since the symtoms are similar to Lyme disease but without the rash which might lead hunters into a misdiagnosis.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/02/new-tick-borne-illness-could-be-worse-than-lyme-disease/

Don't know if anyone has already posted the article, but here's the link.

Ran across this online the other day. Thought it might be useful since the symtoms are similar to Lyme disease but without the rash which might lead hunters into a misdiagnosis.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/02/new-tick-borne-illness-could-be-worse-than-lyme-disease/

Thanks for the heads up

• 3 weeks later...

My friend owns a few acres, infested with ticks.   He brought 5 chickens, and they roam around all day eating every insect in sight.   He has no more ticks, and the mosquitos are much reduced.   His dog hasn't gotten 1 tick since the chickens cleaned up the bug problem.    It's a minor PITA to get the chickens back inside the coop every night, but he says it's well worth it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JBones
      Can anyone recommend a good tick repellent that doesn't stink too badly? I typically spray my gear and clothes and check myself over very thoroughly when I get home. I also have my wife look me over to get a second set of eyes and to have someone check spots I can't see. This weekend I went out for about 5 hours on Saturday afternoon. It was pretty warm so I sprayed and checked. Thought I was good when I was done but I woke up the next morning to a tick chomping down on my junk (yeah, that junk). I take tick nosode and tick pathogen regularly so I wasn't too freaked about infection. I got it out pretty quickly, took an antibiotic for 2 days. I feel OK  and no bullseye so I think I'm OK but I definitely DO NOT want that to happen again.  I'm a ground hunter so I'm sure ticks will always be a problem to deal with but I want to limit exposure as much as possible.
      Any recommendations?
    • By RoadKill44
      I acquired a tick probably sometime Saturday morning while out checking the target range at the Avon Bowmen Archery Club. The tick wasn't discovered until last night when I took a closer look at the spot of irritation. Lets just say it was on the inside upper portion of the leg about 4 inches south of the business district and took mirrors to investigate. The wife performed a successful removal and found it to be the black legged deer tick variety.

So half the reason for being online this morning is to read up on the signs and symptoms of Lymes.
      I also thought I'd share a few findings about ticks. It seems spring and summer are the critical times according to this chart.

Are any of the shed hunters out there taking precautions? Anyone else with bites yet this year (Mar. 2016)?