banning Hogs...

growalot

If I recall a couple of years ago when this all came up...... I said  that I couldn't believe the DEC would still allow hogs in NYS hunting preserves ...could they  not learn from PA?...I think it was when I heard they were talking about opening one close to Rochester....

So  an increasing wild population...... a couple of years later and finally the eyes are opened...NYODN has an article about the banning law..just waiting for Cuomo...

Down to camp there was a big escape of these boars a few years ago.  I heard all sorts of stories from the locals down there, the farmers, other hunters etc how many there were and how fast they were growing, Never have seen one let alone any sign of one in all those years.  I find it odd that I keep hearing how many there are that have bred and destroying crop etc and being in the local area to where some of this started and yet never seen a single sign.  With all the hunters right here on this website I dont recall any post about someone seeing or shooting one either.  Not that I disagree with the banning of them I just have to wonder how "out of control and many" there really are.

It's my understanding that the hogs will have a tendency to go nocturnal with increased hunting pressure. We've definitely seen tracks. They closely resemble deer tracks. I had an experience last summer while out mushroom hunting where I saw a jet black animal which equaled the size of a bear, but the sound of it running was that of a heavy hoofed animal. I was in a pine thicket and the animal was only 30-35yds away. I couldn't see features, only jet black. So my cousin and I returned a day or so later to check for tracks and spotted a small black critter running away, but couldn't make a 100% ID

They're here!

A.Deer  B.Feral hog  C.European wild boar

post-506-0-66590000-1373440156_thumb.jpg

Down to camp there was a big escape of these boars a few years ago.  I heard all sorts of stories from the locals down there, the farmers, other hunters etc how many there were and how fast they were growing, Never have seen one let alone any sign of one in all those years.  I find it odd that I keep hearing how many there are that have bred and destroying crop etc and being in the local area to where some of this started and yet never seen a single sign.  With all the hunters right here on this website I dont recall any post about someone seeing or shooting one either.  Not that I disagree with the banning of them I just have to wonder how "out of control and many" there really are.

I think the proliferation of them maybe has been a bit over-exaggerated. But imagine if there were just a few dozen deer in all of NYS. They probably would be pretty elusive too. That doesn't mean that they aren't a ticking time-bomb. As I understand it, hog population growth is kind of exponential such that their numbers can remain in a stealth mode for a while, but eventually with all the annual litters and the size of those litters, a problem will build to a point where there is no controlling them. I would guess that we are in the early stages of that growth curve.

There have been significant numbers of official sightings and a few of them actually taken, so I assume the DEC knows they are here and breeding as a wild population. I have not heard of a whole lot about any crop damage here in NYS yet, but we know from experiences down south that eventually that will come.

So, I am thinking that the infestation is still in its infancy at the moment, just waiting for the population to blossom. It will happen in time. And that is what all the fuss is about .... not current existing problems, but what is sure to come. 

I have no doubt...but why you would admit it is beyond me ;):huh:

Reminds me of an old joke...How is a fat girl like a moped ?

They're both fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to know you're DOING it...<<grin>>...

• Like 1

I have to agree with this, with 10s of thousands of turkey hunters just out in the woods why havn't we seen or heard of any hogs, and with all the NY hunting sites I visit daily not a single trail cam photo? just gotta wonder....wheres the PORK!

Edited by sits in trees

Their won't be the damage, one would expect pigs to do. Not like southern states are experiencing. Their spread over many square miles and the small numbers don't support the damage u see in southern states with much higher concentration. I remember members, on this site that have seen and shot pigs in NY. Their is no question, their here.

I question whether banning  hog hunting preserves in NY will be effective however, as it seems to be to little to late.

• Like 1

Whats a wild hogs chance of survival with snow pack and sub zero temperatures at times in this state?  Very curious to the answer cause I have no idea myself.  Googled it and came up with nothing. 

Have you ever seen pictures of the Siberian climate where the Russian Boars originated?  It makes our climate look tropical.

Their won't be the damage, one would expect pigs to do. Not like southern states are experiencing. Their spread over many square miles and the small numbers don't support the damage u see in southern states with much higher concentration. I remember members, on this site that have seen and shot pigs in NY. Their is no question, their here.

I question whether banning  hog hunting preserves in NY will be effective however, as it seems to be to little to late.

Yes, a bit like closing the barn door after the horse escaped ... lol. But I suppose it will supposedly keep it from happening again in the future.

As far as their existence in the wild is concerned, yes there are documented observations and even a few that have been killed. There were pictures in the paper of a small herd down in Allegheney Park. Also we had a local farmer who got his picture in the paper with a pretty big hog that he had shot after finding it be-deviling some of his livestock.

Whats a wild hogs chance of survival with snow pack and sub zero temperatures at times in this state?  Very curious to the answer cause I have no idea myself.  Googled it and came up with nothing. 

They survive in climates/latitudes similar to ours.

They do not flourish and only become problematic in the warmer climates with water and food that supports them

having several successful litters per year.