need some opinions...am i wrong

boo711

Want to get some other opinions on an issue I had happen today. I have a fenced in yard but I have some of my yard that is extended out back farther from the fenced in portion. This part of my yard borders a neighbors property. I have lived in my home for 10 yrs and have only had one chance to speak to this neighbor and I politely introduced myself and he blew me off. So I never went out of my way to try and make chit chat. Always waved if I saw him driving down the street but that's it. Anyways last week he mowed my property out behind the fence with his riding mower and I was totally shocked when I saw this. Turned it all to mud. I talked to my next door neighbor last week who Is a retired cop. He tells me not to approach him on his property. Today I am out with weed whacker so I can mow lawn and I see him mowing. I tell him I have not been mowing that because it is so wet and I point to the mess he has made and how my lawn is now mud. He looks at me, says he will never come on my property again and tells me f-you and drives away. This pisses me off. If it had been dry and he wanted to mow it like he has done in the past, knock your socks off. But what kind of person can not see the damage you are doing to someone else's property. I tried asking him that because at this point I am fired up but all he kept doing was telling me was f-you as he drove by. I guess I am just wondering if I am wrong to assume that someone would see what they are doing to someones lawn and not mow it or is this guy just a complete idiot. If I was to mow anyone's property and saw I was doing damage to it I would stop immediately. Am I right to assume that is the right thing to do??

I would just extend the fence and forget about it.

On a similar note, I am having an issue with one of my neighbors mowing way over the line onto my yard. Problem is, he mows alot lower than I do and its annoying the heck out of me. I keep to my side of the line. The other day his daughter was standing in my yard shaking her head because my dog was barking at her. WTF do you expect the dog to do lol. They cut through my back yard all the time too. Im going to fix it next year, Im putting a fence down the property line, and my entire yard will get ringed with invisible fence for the dogs. I havent said anything to the people because I dont want to have to deal with a bunch of BS. The neighbors on the other side are awesome.

Sounds like the beginning of a perfect relationship.

You stay on your land, he stays on his..

Now you don't even have to bother to WAVE to him.

Judging from your contact ( or NON contact) with the guy over the last ten years, I don't think you'll be missing much.

• Like 2

Buy some rebar and drive it into the ground so the ends stick up just above where the mower deck cut line is about a foot on your side of the property line.

Slightly bent T-posts laying in the grass can do wonders on a mower deck also......they'll flip up into the deck when the tires hit them.

• Like 2

That must have been funny. A guy driving back and forth yelling f u is always funny, especially when he's on a mower.

I can laugh about it now. I just wanted him to stop so I could ask him why he would mow my lawn and turn it into a mud pit. Pissed me off he wouldn't stop. Lol

There used to be an old saying that went something like .... "Good fences make good neighbors". In my case, the neighbors are so far away from me that I don't even know when they are doing something aggravating.....lol.

Put up a fence, For some reason i have a neighbor who thinks its ok to plant trees half on my property and half on his, Then he will mow all the way up to my garden that is 20ft inside my line, its annoying for sure, It Is kinda funny to see how pissed he gets when i trim the tree branches hanging on my side, He called the cops once but not much they can do seeing as the trees are half on my property,

Buy some rebar and drive it into the ground so the ends stick up just above where the mower deck cut line is about a foot on your side of the property line.

Slightly bent T-posts laying in the grass can do wonders on a mower deck also......they'll flip up into the deck when the tires hit them.

Dont tempt me lol

I like the rebar idea.  Or, maybe just put some large cobble stones down.

My neighbor planted bamboo, then vacated the house due to foreclosure/divorce.  Now, I'm battling bamboo popping up all over my yard.

Don't move the fence...just pound in some rebar nice and deep and cut some 12x12 PT plywood paint all a color you like and then nail bright orange posted signs to the plywood and attach to the rebar...he's the only one that need to look at those signs..all you'll see is a pretty panted post...make sure they are at each corner and right on the line were he mows...attach decorative bird houses on your side of post....

Wheelieman...if you really don't like the trees and they are actually partially on your land...then a few copper nails at the base on your side..will eventually kill them...done deal

Sorry to hear that Boo. Sounds like an extended fence that encompasses your entire property is the solution to this one. Karma is very real, and from the sounds of it this guy has a good deal of it coming his way.

Don't want to move the fence. The lawn out behind there is mostly weeds and it can be very wet which is why this issue arose. With the fence I don't have to look at it. Lol. I'll let him look at it now. I'll be waiting til it is good and dry before I mow out there.

How bad did you want to pummel this guy after he told you to F'off when you confronted him!?  

Stinks that your yard is torn up, and you had this D-bag telling you to F'off but in the overall scheme of things it sounds like you won't have an issue with the neighbor on your property again, hopefully.  Better to take the high road in this case versus getting into a argument with the knucklehead neighbor, it will only continue to raise your blood pressure.  Good luck moving forward.

I like the rebar idea.  Or, maybe just put some large cobble stones down.

My neighbor planted bamboo, then vacated the house due to foreclosure/divorce.  Now, I'm battling bamboo popping up all over my yard.

Good luck with that Virgil, that stuff is next to impossible to get rid of.

Sounds like you got a first class A-hole for a neighbor. If that portion of your property butts up to his, I wouldn't mow it for the rest of the summer. Let him live with it.

A few years back I had a falling out with one of my neighbors. Before the falling out he use to mow a 3 ft. strip of my lawn that was on the outside of my fence and meets his property. It took him one pass with his zero turn mower. After we had our little dust up, he stopped mowing the strip. So did I and it drives him nuts!!! He is totally O.C.D. and I see him, on occasion just starring at that long patch of grass that butts up to his perfect lawn. Its great.  Matter of fact just the other day, I saw him standing in his yard talking with another neighbor and pointing to the patch of grass, which is about 10" long right now LOL!! Did I mention its great !!!

Edited by ants
  • Like 4