Highly recommended read for Antler Restriction

WhitetailAddict11

ARs work to some extent, there is no doubt about it. That being said, mandatory ARs are not the way to accomplish things, education is.

What really drives me nuts is the misconception that ARs are QDM and QDM are ARs, its simply not true. Also, please realize that this group is affiliated with one particular branch of the QDMA, not the national organization. QDMA national does not currently support mandatory ARs in NY, and will not unless 3 specific criteria are met, which will most likely never be the case here.

• Like 1

ARs work to some extent, there is no doubt about it. That being said, mandatory ARs are not the way to accomplish things, education is.

I fall in here with WNY.

But if anyone gets the chance, the author of the article gives a nice power point presentation to groups that is worth taking the time to watch.

He was a long time respected biologist for DEC and did some very interesting projects over a long career. Also happens to be an avid hunter and overall nice guy who is very generous of his time to many groups in the Hudson Valley.  

• Like 1

I respect all opinions. That's a cool bit of background info dinsdale.

I think its important to consider the sources of information as well as the content.

He's a regular contributor on a local forum and I have a great deal of respect for his take on subjects as he's "one of us" and not just an academic.

You can read some more of his articles here on some other subjects if you wish;

http://dhenry.hudsonvalleysportsman.com/

• Like 1

There’s absolutely no need to have AR’s.  I’ve gotten plenty of nice 8 pointers off public land. 

For those that haven’t been able to connect with a large racked deer and want to make some tasty bone skew.  Maybe you need a new spot, maybe you need to wait for the pumpkins to march back to the pumpkin patch (3rd day of the season).  The woods are usually empty of hunters the second week. If you put the time in, are willing/able to travel to new spots, you’ll find larger deer. 

But lots of folks want to eat there deer, some kid want to shoot his first buck.  An old fart might not want to wait in the cold to get a buck.  Whatever you want to harvest is ok with me.

If you really want something hanging on the wall that you can brag about, go on a paid hunt

Edited by mmkay

I practice AR's but its my choice. It should be something that's left up to the individual person. Its fine if you want to educate people on the benefits of AR's but the ultimate choice should be left to the individual hunter. Not everyone hunts for antlers. Some guys go out a couple times a year and just want to get a deer.

• Like 2

This is such a touchy topic lol. Not everyone is a trophy hunter, yet those who are benefit from the AR ( to an extent). 

Hunting a hobby for most, the recreational hunter who gets out X number of times a year. We need to learn to  respect those people just like we respect the trophy hunters out there. We all do it because we love it..

• Like 2

Lol some of you guys are just like my father. I can give him all the info and science in the world but he will still shake his head. I don't know if it's just in rebellion to not being able to do what you want. You can refute the science all you want but its still truth. Admit that you don't want to be told what to do. Man up and admit you don't care what is best for the herd but what is best for you. There is ample proof that ARs help buck/doe ratios and overall herd quality. Is not about more bone. Is about a healthy herd we can ALL enjoy.

Edited by jesse.james

Lol some of you guys are just like my father. I can give him all the info and science in the world but he will still shake his head. I don't know if it's just in rebellion to not being able to do what you want. You can refute the science all you want but its still truth. Admit that you don't want to be told what to do. Man up and admit you don't care what is best for the herd but what is best for you. There is ample proof that ARs help buck/doe ratios and overall hard quality. Is not about more bone. Is about a healthy herd we can ALL enjoy.

AR's have nothing to do with buck to doe ratios......they're about allowing yearling bucks to mature........and I don't believe NY has an unhealthy deer herd at all.

AR's have nothing to do with buck to doe ratios......they're about allowing yearling bucks to mature........and I don't believe NY has an unhealthy deer herd at all.

I guess you didn't feel like reading the article, and many places in NY like 6N could benefit.

• Like 1

I guess you didn't feel like reading the article, and many places in NY like 6N could benefit.

but unfortunately some of the areas where they've been enacted won't....not every area has an exploding deer population or the food and genetics to really see a benefit.

There are some places in the state where the herd is unhealthy, like the Catskills. But you cant tell me for a minute that the herd is unhealthy in western NY and needs AR's. There a lot of big bucks running around regions 8 & 9

and just what does "unhealthy" mean? sick deer that appear unhealthy due to lack of food and habitat or a herd that is greatly diminished and so far out of wack that it needs to be rebuilt before AR's should even be considered?

That's for people a lot smarter than me to decide LOL! I know that the reason the DEC implemented AR's in the Catskill areas is because they deemed the herd unhealthy.