Back Tags..Why?

Arrow Flinger

With all the threads with endless bickering about X Bows and AR's going on around here I thought I would start a thread about a topic that has always stumped me for all my hunting years. Why do we need to wear a back tag? Seems that most logic points to the fact of hunter identification in the field if you're trespassing or doing something wrong but I have problems with this. (1) Most people who are knowingly trespassing are probably not going to wear a back tag anyway and (2) anyone who says they can read a black number printed on dark green paper from more than 20 yards away is full of crap! If they were intended to be read, why not make them on a lighter background with bigger letters? I think its just one of those stupid laws they made up to write more tickets a generate revenue. I have a friend who actually got a ticket because he took off his coat and put it in his backpack to drag a deer out of the woods. DEC said he was still hunting because he was carrying his gun and had doe tags left. I had a talk with a DEC officer because I put my back tag on my pack. According to him, you can't cover up your back tag with a back pack but if you put the tag on your pack as soon as you take the pack off you're breaking the law. Seems like a no win situation if you wear a backpack!

and did you know if you don't have your backtag on, its presumed you're hunting without a license and can be ticketed accordingly?..........and they're not required if you're hunting within the Catskill Park, interesting to say the least.

Edited by jjb4900

What I think is stranger still is that you need to wear one in the Southern Zone but not in the Northern Zone.  Since I do the majority of my hunting up North I am constantly forgetting to put it on if I just decide to go out back of the house for a bit.

What I think is stranger still is that you need to wear one in the Southern Zone but not in the Northern Zone.  Since I do the majority of my hunting up North I am constantly forgetting to put it on if I just decide to go out back of the house for a bit.

I don't think it's Southern Zone, but within the Catskill Park area.

They can spot a foul hooked fish from a pretty good distance with their binocs. I'd think they could see some #'s

Not everyone has binocs on them. If I saw someone trespassing on my property, I wouldn't be able to get their back tag number without the bionic bino's the DEC uses? Makes sense to me :crazy:

We went over this over a year ago . I don't have a problem wearing a back tag . I was able to zoom in on a back tag with my camera on a guy on the adjoining property just for a test .

I started deer hunting around 1965 . I have only come across a DEC officer twice in that time and one of the instances was when I was fishing . I doubt if they are hauling in much money on tickets for folks not wearing back tags .

It may be dumb but it still is a regulation. I bounce back and forth between NZ and SZ and from my conversations with DEC officers I get the feeling that ticket isn't one they toss out much. Seems to be lopped on with others when someone is screwing up. I forgot it once and did run across an officer. he reminded me, talked for a bit and was on his way.

We went over this over a year ago . I don't have a problem wearing a back tag . I was able to zoom in on a back tag with my camera on a guy on the adjoining property just for a test .

I started deer hunting around 1965 . I have only come across a DEC officer twice in that time and one of the instances was when I was fishing . I doubt if they are hauling in much money on tickets for folks not wearing back tags .

Obviously you don't hunt much on public land. If you were to ever look at the DEC violations section in the newspaper you would see that a ton of them are back tag violations. BTW, I didn't say I had a problem wearing one but I really don't see the point, especially while trying to wear a pack.

It may be dumb but it still is a regulation. I bounce back and forth between NZ and SZ and from my conversations with DEC officers I get the feeling that ticket isn't one they toss out much. Seems to be lopped on with others when someone is screwing up. I forgot it once and did run across an officer. he reminded me, talked for a bit and was on his way.

You must be lucky. The DEC where I hunt will write you a ticket for looking crosseyed at em!

• Like 1

Seems like i need to get extras, and put 1 on each article of hunting clothing, and each bag lol. 

Also they are free(from DEC website)

Question: I lost my back tag holder and all of my back tags, what do I do?
Answer:
 Lost back tags (the small numbered portion only) may be replaced by any license issuing agent. There is no replacement fee for back tags.

Their is a bill introduced as of April 1, 2013 for the elimination of wearing back tags in NY. Bill # A6466-2013 AND S90-2013 which was refered to Environmental Conservation at that time. Not sure where the bill is right now.

Hip Hip Hooray !!!!

Their is a bill introduced as of April 1, 2013 for the elimination of wearing back tags in NY. Bill # A6466-2013 AND S90-2013 which was refered to Environmental Conservation at that time. Not sure where the bill is right now.

Yet another item that should be under the simple control of DEC, but somewhere along the lines the Legislature has jurisdiction.

Ridiculus relic of the past. 

I was told ONLY the back tag can be in the tag holder on your back. Nothing else not even the carcass tags or they can write you up.

Waaay back when I took my hunting class they suggested that you not keep your tags in the back tag holder because it was more likely that you'd lose them all that way.  Don't remember anyone saying that it was any sort of regulation though.

• Like 2

I was told ONLY the back tag can be in the tag holder on your back. Nothing else not even the carcass tags or they can write you up.

Question: Will I get a ticket for carrying my license/tags in the holder on my back?

Answer: The Environmental Conservation Law requires hunters outside of the Northern Zone and the Catskill Park to display the numbered back tag in the middle of their back. However, carrying your license or carcass tags in the back tag holder is not recommended because a significant number of licenses and carcass tags are lost each year along with the back tag holder. For that reason, the DEC strongly recommends that licenses and carcass tags be carried in secure interior pockets, safe from loss.