Back Tags..Why?

Arrow Flinger

Question: Will I get a ticket for carrying my license/tags in the holder on my back?

Answer: The Environmental Conservation Law requires hunters outside of the Northern Zone and the Catskill Park to display the numbered back tag in the middle of their back. However, carrying your license or carcass tags in the back tag holder is not recommended because a significant number of licenses and carcass tags are lost each year along with the back tag holder. For that reason, the DEC strongly recommends that licenses and carcass tags be carried in secure interior pockets, safe from loss.

So it's a recommendation...not an official law.

I carry my tags along with other park specific permits all in my tag holder.

anyone who says they can read a black number printed on dark green paper from more than 20 yards away is full of crap! If they were intended to be read, why not make them on a lighter background with bigger letters?

Be careful what you wish for.  One year in the late 60's/early 70's  where I grew up, the back tags were white.  That was a peak year of hunting accidents for "brush shots" during deer season.  Don't suggest having really light colored back tags in the white/pale yellow range.

Through college, my back tags were large with large lettering on card stock paper - no smudging on there as there were all pre-printed by the state and each dealer was provided a few cases of tags (It was not fun finding another place to get your tags when the closest dealer ran out and you had to try the next county [the days before google, mapquest, etc]). The dealers/Sport Shops had to record what tag number they issued to whom and send in to the state. 

It was nice having a pre-punched re-enforced hole to use to attached the tag to a deer.

Of course the turkey and fishing licenses were on separate paper.

I was told ONLY the back tag can be in the tag holder on your back. Nothing else not even the carcass tags or they can write you up.

Back home through the mid-1990's the carcass tags were considered used/invalid if pre-detached from your license/back tag.

According to the 2012/2013 regs, it only says back tags are required to be displayed on your back except for in the North Zone and Catskills.  Nothing about requirements for separating the carcass tags before going afield.

I just keep mine together so I don't have to worry about when switching jackets/vests for the weather and I just have to move the license holder with everything in it.  I also keep my permit for Sterling State Forest there too.

The licence plate #'s on the backtags are pretty pointless unless a perps tag falls off durring a pursuit or he leaves it at the scene of a violation.

Much like the inspection stickers on your vehicle, the color is the most obvious clue that tips off LEO's and gives them good reason to investigate further if it doesn't match.

The licence plate #'s on the backtags are pretty pointless unless a perps tag falls off durring a pursuit or he leaves it at the scene of a violation.

Much like the inspection stickers on your vehicle, the color is the most obvious clue that tips off LEO's and gives them good reason to investigate further if it doesn't match.

How do they know anything by the color of them? They are the same color for consecutive years in a row.

Wow my heads a spinning! I just get copies of the tag and put the original on my back a copy on my pack one on the camo poncho  and another on my arse!

But what is the actual point of having to wear them is what I'm trying to figure out? So far, I cannot see a valid reason for having to wear them. I didn't say its difficult to do.

How do they know anything by the color of them? They are the same color for consecutive years in a row.

That kinda proves my point just how many folks don't pay much attention to little details like what color their tags are before they stick a phony on their back.

2010-11 I believe was yellow..

2011-12 was tan..

2012-13 was green...

Your guess is as good as mine as to what color they will be for 2013-14....but if the one you've been using all these years has been good to ya, no sence messing with it now,lol.

• Like 1

That kinda proves my point just how many folks don't pay much attention to little details like what color their tags are before they stick a phony on their back.

2010-11 I believe was yellow..

2011-12 was tan..

2012-13 was green...

Your guess is as good as mine as to what color they will be for 2013-14....but if the one you've been using all these years has been good to ya, no sence messing with it now,lol.

What I meant was they cycle through those 3 colors and that's it. How do they know the green one you're wearing isn't from a different year? The only one you have a chance to read the numbers on is the yellow. And don't worry about me, I hunt mostly public land so I make sure to dot my I's and cross my T's! I get checked all the time.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

What I meant was they cycle through those 3 colors and that's it. How do they know the green one you're wearing isn't from a different year? The only one you have a chance to read the numbers on is the yellow. And don't worry about me, I hunt mostly public land so I make sure to dot my I's and cross my T's! I get checked all the time.

I don't think they would know if it's from a different year unless you gave them another reason to check it up close and personal. Obviously a yellow or tan tag on a green year is gonna raise a red flag even to an officer just doing surveillence from afar..... as dumb as it may sound, people do it thinking something is better than nothing I suppose. It's these blatant dumb arses that are often found in violation of other infractions upon closer inspection.

I wasn't insinuating you were doing anything wrong..... just my dry sence of humor, but my money is on tan again this year if you wanna take a gamble and try to save a few bucks!;)

When I've caught trespassers All I had to do was tell them to turn around so I cold get their info..those went to court and were fined...ones that didn't happen with the ECO said ...could find....talked to no proof...

Whats the big deal about having to wear a back tag...unless the ECO tend to be A_holes about them/

Lets see living out in the boonies and I see someone sneaking around our place with a gun in hand...They are in less danger if I see a back tag or not? I'll let you decide which....

When I've caught trespassers All I had to do was tell them to turn around so I cold get their info..those went to court and were fined...ones that didn't happen with the ECO said ...could find....talked to no proof...

Whats the big deal about having to wear a back tag...unless the ECO tend to be A_holes about them.

Lets see living out in the boonies and I see someone sneaking around our place with a gun in hand...They are in less danger if I see a back tag or not? I'll let you decide which....

PS...here's a deal ...get rid of the tags and implement mandatory orange...That way ppl know the person wondering around with a gun is a hunter and not a bad guy ;) Well not that trespassers aren't bad guys

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

The numbers on the tag include the year.

I always have a problem with back tags because I always seem to have a backpack along, and it is on while I am in motion and of course off when I am on stand. Also, often there is a change of outer wear when I get on stand (trying to beat the sweat problem). It makes for a whole lot of wrestling around trying to pin that tag onto a different garment. And of course I usually forget to pin it on until after everything is zipped up. That's usually when I discover that my back tag is pinned to something I just covered up with my camo suit .... lol. ... start over.

my tag is always in my bag. All I hunt is private land. Only time I've worn it is when I hunted Darien for deer and pheasant. Normally I don't even tag the deer till I'm in the barn. I see the logic for the rule but don't like it. We don't all wear our drivers license around around a necklace when we drive. It's in our wallets. Does that mean we're driving illegally? Not to mention the tag makes noise rubbing against a tree...

Backtags are for identification purposes. They were implemented for this purpose. Have used the numbers off the back for prosecution once. It only takes one situation to appreciation their use.  I support their existence and believe they should continue to be used in the Southern Zone.

In that case , wouldn't you support their existence in the northern zone too ?

If I have to continue wearing a back tag , why don't they make them with black numbers on a blaze orange back round ?  Maybe someone might think twice before  doing something illegal . Better yet......maybe I won't get shot in the back .