Back Tags..Why?

Arrow Flinger

my tag is always in my bag. All I hunt is private land. Only time I've worn it is when I hunted Darien for deer and pheasant. Normally I don't even tag the deer till I'm in the barn. I see the logic for the rule but don't like it. We don't all wear our drivers license around around a necklace when we drive. It's in our wallets. Does that mean we're driving illegally? Not to mention the tag makes noise rubbing against a tree...

Theres no regulation that says you have to wear your drivers license on a necklace. Theres also no exemption to the backtag regulation for private land.

The numbers on the back tag are also specific to the hunter and the same every year. So if some one really wants be tricky when breaking laws, borrow your buddies back tag.

Be more entertaining if he didn't know you'd switched it until they showed up on his stoop. :D

I think a lot of you guys are missing my original point. I have no problem wearing one, been doing so for 30 years, and I follow all the laws to the T and get checked on the public land I hunt regularly. I have yet (knock on wood) to be written a ticket for anything in my 30 years of hunting. My point of the thread is that I don't see a logical reason for them. If they are for identification purposes they should be on a lighter background with bigger numbers so you can read them from farther than 10 feet away. Brown background with black letters is not easy to read!

Yes PA no longer requires wearing the backtag.  I've been wearing my backtag while hunting for 35 years now, it doesn't bother me.  It shows I paid my fee, and that I am a licensed hunter.  The only tricky part is moving it from bird coat, to deer coat, to duck coat, to archery coat, etc.

Theres also no exemption to the backtag regulation for private land.

Well if we are talking all hunting not just deer...concerning back tags ...there is an exception...see no license is needed...there would be no back tag required...

Small Game License Exceptions

All residents must have a valid hunting license in their possession except:

• Resident owners primarily engaged in farming, lessees and members of their immediate families do not need a hunting license when hunting on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating.
  • Native Americans living on a reservation do not need a hunting license while hunting on reservation lands.

I think a lot of you guys are missing my original point. I have no problem wearing one, been doing so for 30 years, and I follow all the laws to the T and get checked on the public land I hunt regularly. I have yet (knock on wood) to be written a ticket for anything in my 30 years of hunting. My point of the thread is that I don't see a logical reason for them. If they are for identification purposes they should be on a lighter background with bigger numbers so you can read them from farther than 10 feet away. Brown background with black letters is not easy to read!

I have been reading this post throughout the day and I figured the best way to get the right answer is to call and ask. I called the DEC in Syracuse and talked to one of the officers there. I asked him why you needed to wear a back tag. His response was for identification purposes. I mentioned what you said about seeing it from a distance and he said if they see you committing an infraction they will nit use binocs to get your number they will approach you. I asked why you did not need tag in nz and Catskill park but needed one in sz. He said that law has been in affect for years and I would have to ask a state legislator because he can't tell me why, just that it is the law. Also told me if your bag tag must be onoutermost garment. Which we know. If you where backpack it must be on backpack. If you take backpack off it must be on jacket. He said they are being told to ticket this automatically now. He is not sure why all of a sudden. He told me Togo and get extras of my back tag and that way I have one for outer garment, my backpack, etc. That way I will not have to. i worry. I don't see the DEC where I gun hunt but I bow hunt a lot of property adjacent to state land. Might need to get some extra back tags. Don't need to get a ticket for something stupid like that.

I find it pretty strange that certain laws and seasons are so different from the Northern Zone to the Southern Zone. Yes I can understand things that are habitat or population based might differ from one area to the next, but some of the general regulations such as back-tag requirements are ridiculous to be different from one place to another.

There are some things that differ that I can understand such as the rifle laws for deer hunting. When it comes to things that affect non-hunting residents as well as hunters, then it is understandable why it becomes a locally controlled ordinance. But a back-tag?

• Like 1

Whats the big deal and all the crying about wearing backtags?  I hunt North, South, rabbits, coyotes, waterfowl etc and my light wt gear, insulated gear, backpack, game vest, snow camo, and max-4 gear all have their own back tags on them.  Finally the state gives something away FREE take advantage of it.  The holders are only $1.99 max and you pay for them once unless you loose them.  I buy my license and go back the next week when its not so busy and get 6 extra back tags.  When I first thought of this I called DEC to make sure it was ok and there is nothing against it even the Officer said "Hey they're free get all you need."

I have been reading this post throughout the day and I figured the best way to get the right answer is to call and ask. I called the DEC in Syracuse and talked to one of the officers there. I asked him why you needed to wear a back tag. His response was for identification purposes. I mentioned what you said about seeing it from a distance and he said if they see you committing an infraction they will nit use binocs to get your number they will approach you. I asked why you did not need tag in nz and Catskill park but needed one in sz. He said that law has been in affect for years and I would have to ask a state legislator because he can't tell me why, just that it is the law. Also told me if your bag tag must be onoutermost garment. Which we know. If you where backpack it must be on backpack. If you take backpack off it must be on jacket. He said they are being told to ticket this automatically now. He is not sure why all of a sudden. He told me Togo and get extras of my back tag and that way I have one for outer garment, my backpack, etc. That way I will not have to. i worry. I don't see the DEC where I gun hunt but I bow hunt a lot of property adjacent to state land. Might need to get some extra back tags. Don't need to get a ticket for something stupid like that.

If they were gonna approach you if they see you committing a violation then what do they need to look at your back tag for to identify you? They just ask to see your license. It just makes no sense to me. It is a good idea to get extras for all your packs and coats. I'll have to remember that when I get my license this year and ask for 5 back tags! And judging from his comment that I highlighted, it looks obvious to me that back tags are more about writing tickets than anything.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

"For identification purposes.....", really, what horsecrap. Why not just tattoo a number on the forehead of every American...for identification purposes!! When one is required to wear a number (forehead tattoo, or back tag), the suggestion is that the govt. considers the wearer to be a threat of some sort. We hunters are suspect....hence, we must wear a number on our backs so wimpy citizens and govt. henchmen can blow the whistle on us. My vote: Do away for back tags!

I find it pretty strange that certain laws and seasons are so different from the Northern Zone to the Southern Zone. Yes I can understand things that are habitat or population based might differ from one area to the next, but some of the general regulations such as back-tag requirements are ridiculous to be different from one place to another.

There are some things that differ that I can understand such as the rifle laws for deer hunting. When it comes to things that affect non-hunting residents as well as hunters, then it is understandable why it becomes a locally controlled ordinance. But a back-tag?

Doc....Although the other 49 1/2 states don't seem to think that there is any value in requiring hunters to wear backtags, due to the general response on this thread, it seems VERY important that we hunters in the southern zone of NY continue to wear them..

NO PROBLEM... I'll pin the silly thing to my hunting coat, vest, backpack, or whatever, just as I have since 1963.....

Kinda like that no hunting on Sundays for deer or pheasants...That makes a LOT of sense... Oh...Wait... That was CHANGED, wasn't it...??

Or that no hunting with RIFLES....That makes a LOT of sense... Oh...Wait...

That was changed, wasn't it...??

Dang... I am so CONFUSED..!! I think it's time for my NAP....

Edited by Pygmy

"For identification purposes.....", really, what horseshit. Why not just tattoo a number on the forehead of every American...for identification purposes!! When one is required to wear a number (forehead tattoo, or back tag), the suggestion is that the govt. considers the wearer to be a threat of some sort. We hunters are suspect....hence, we must wear a number on our backs so wimpy citizens and govt. henchmen can blow the whistle on us. My vote: Do away for back tags!

Ooookay.  I am all for a good conspiracy, but this is even a little out there for me.

• Like 1

Looked at current regs from former home state - some will make you jealous, others you will cry over:

• DEC recommend separating license from back tag
  • back-tags must be worn while afield (no zone or other exemptions)
  • No hunting on Sunday
  • 400 squares of hunter-orange gun deer season and for small game during gun deer season
  • if hunting in a deer blind, 400 squares of hunter-orange must be displayed 10 ft from the blind and 3 feet off of the ground
  • if archery hunting during deer gun season wearing 400 squares of hunter-orange is required
  • no small game hunting during deer regular shotgun season
  • deer archery Sept 1 - Jan 31st (includes crossbow)
  • Antler-less gun season - a week in October and another in December
  • baiting/salt licks allowed on private land only
  • must report any Sika deer taken to the Division of Fish and Wildlife
  • Spring Turkey - 1 beard male (no fall turkey season)
  • Turkey public land hunting is by drawing for specific week
  • Mourning Dove - limit 15 birds/day

You get 4 deer tags - 2 antler less (no or less then 3 in. antler) and 2 doe tags with your license.

Can buy a choice tag and a Quality Buck tag for a buck with minimum of a 15" antler spread (one set only per hunter)

Residents can purchase additional doe tags.

It will cost me $300 or more to go back to hunt (license, buck tag, gas & tolls).

The state east of the Mason-Dixon line, Delaware.

No hunting on Sundays, but can chase Red Fox on Sundays.

Fishing 7 days a week.

No beer/alcohol in the grocery stores.

No rifles except .17/22 for squirrels, and use on ground dwelling varmints like ground hogs.

No rules on coyotes yet as they are just migrating in the last couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...