how to hunt swamp bucks?

asav2013

I have leased 410 acres with 4 buddies of mine for the second year in a row half of which resides right out my back door which is really nice but I can't see to be able to figure out how to hunt these swamp bucks 60 acres or so of it is thick dense swamp . IV tried sitting on the outside of the swamp and some on the inside where ya can but its super thick every where . Any one got suggestions how i can get my hands on one of these giants i see pre season and on camera ? Any help would be nice for this up coming season as i will be scouting some and hanging stands here in the next few months. Thanks. Adam

Scout, scout, scout!

You must find the route they're traveling, when they're traveling it, and why. Whether it be food, safety, avoiding the heat, or bedding.

Early season can be the easiest time to pattern deer if you put the time and effort into it.

The worst thing you could do is to just jump in the swamp and hope they don't know you're there. Bow season is long, take your time!

• Like 2

Easiest time to scout a swamp is after it has frozen up. You can then get in/around/through parts of the swamp that are unaccessible when not frozen. A snow-covered, frozen swamp will tell you much about the deer who use it. A freeze up late in the hunting season is perfect: Your scouting will reveal where the deer bed and what routes they travel when under hunting pressure.

Easiest time to scout a swamp is after it has frozen up. You can then get in/around/through parts of the swamp that are unaccessible when not frozen. A snow-covered, frozen swamp will tell you much about the deer who use it. A freeze up late in the hunting season is perfect: Your scouting will reveal where the deer bed and what routes they travel when under hunting pressure.

X2 The largest deer I have ever seen was laying down in a grass patch 200 yrs out in the middle of a swamp.Smart old boy,it saw me and crawled out to the other edge stood up and went into some low lieing pines.IT had a large body and massive 10 point rack.Walked slowly threw the swamp,never caught up to him. 

Big deer love swamps, plain and simple, so we know they're in their, that's the good news. The bad news is that swamps can drive a man to drink trying to figure out how to hunt it. In my opinion most swamp bucks are nocturnal anyways so wait until the rut to hunt it. Swamps are notorious for having hidden routes that are for entry only and escape only. It's important to find these spots and put very little pressure on him. Chances are during the rut not only will those bucks leave the swamp, but they'll probably attempt to push estrous does back into it and the actions could get reallll good!

many times a large swamp will have slightly higher ground..maybe a small 5 to 10 ft hill.  I've often found the bucks bedded on these spots.  Bucks tend to use these higher spots to gain a better view or perhaps to stay dry.  try to locate and sneak up to these spots.

Good luck

I have seen big bucks swim across swaps to avoid hunters. You have to drive them. Learn the escape routes and don't overlook the obvious escape that you might just pass on. The biggest and the best live here and they will outwit you.

Hey ASAV2013..............good luck getting those swamp bucks. But in case you don't, send them across the road to my land just down the road....lol. Many of those same bucks bounce back and forth from the swamp you are hunting, to my property.  Best advice is to watch those trails coming out and set up high on the edge in one of the pine trees. I have good luck covering scent by scratching on the bark of the pines and getting the pine sap smell going. Pretty strong cover scent, and set back into the pine boughs is tough for them to pick you out.

Good luck this season.

be careful with this,some swamps are natural springs and wont freeze very well

• Like 1

I don't know whether it's true of all swamps, but the ones that I have been in have so darn many trails that it is hard to figure out which one to stand at. Honestly, it seems like deer travel through swamps is basically random. You can locate at good busy looking trail intersections, but they are everywhere also. Plus, I'm not sure how much of the action in swamps is actually done in legal shooting hours. I have spent a lot of time hunting our swamp, and have yet to actually see or get a deer there even though the trails are always mudded up with all kinds of fresh-ish tracks. Obviously, there is something that I haven't learned about swamp hunting .... lol.

Whitetail addiction  is right...I'm lucky enough to have all swamp areas lower than what I hunt...even on our place...so I have stands set up to watch the swamps...many a morning I go in 2 hrs before light to hear buck chasing doe trying to get them off us and into the swamp or buck fighting just before they head down into the swamps...most of the bigger buck I've shot were either sneak up out of or down into the swamp...but it's real difficult sitting in my stand watching a monster moving around 300yrds away  and only being able to wish him to come my way and then never see him on our place....That's happened several times...

I believe swamps and marshes are the best and easiest place for a hunter looking to bed hunt and to tag a mature buck when all else is equal. Its relatively easy because scouting it is ridiculously easy mentally and logisitically. The hard part is the simple physical demands of hunting such conditions.

You should have already scouted the beds and trails out and prepped the trees by now. This time of year to do that is plum crazy and exponentially more difficult. Going in blind as you are in this situation...look for points, bowls, islands, and transition lines. The beds will be there.

• Like 1

I agree with phade ... Coming from Huntin bucks in Florida swamps I happened to have a local wma close to me that is 80% swamp ( no gators or snakes) and I love it , easier swamp to hunt than down south except when it gets cold but not cold enough to freeze solid makin it near impossible to get back to ur stand when there's only a thin layer of ice ... I pray for either a really mild winter (reg or hip boots) or a reaaalllyyy cold winter so I can walk on the ice no problem... But the high thick ground is obvious for bedding and trails can be seen easily dry or wet ... Not to mention I'm the ONLY one " crazy" enough for most used to big dry woods Huntin around here to walk in a lil water so I have the whole place to myself , but sounds like ur in private ground anyhow ... But even with the water n thick stuff look for the trails even if there's water, they don't give a damn ! The bucks I'm Huntin bed out in the wet sawgrass and wade through the water n grass to get to the dry heads where my stands are ... Good luck man

My swamp hunting has been minimal...  Most swampy area's seem to be hot spots for night activity and bedding from what I have seen yet this is usually in November.  I have seen more activity in swaps during early season bow. 

Questions

1)Do you think the size of the swamp makes a difference? 

2)How about elevation?

3)Do you think the use of these area's changes due to food, rut, season, water levels. 

EX: Do you think a buck would rather use a swamp higher in elevation during the warmer periods vs cool, rut period down in the low areas w/doe?   

Does it seem like more doe frequent the lower lying swamps? 

WOW I just remembered hunting the Cold river in Long Lake 1993-94.  It was cold, snow covered ground with a layer of ice on top about 8 inches. Crunchy does not describe how noisy walking was this day, it was deafening!  I was approaching a large swampy area down hill.  (I had a feeling about it, it felt and looked perfect!  I was on edge!!!) About 50-100 yards across and about 400-500 yards long with a small piece of land sticking out 80+ yards in front of me.  The 50 ft or so I needed to go to see the area took about 35 minutes or so.  It was still way too loud and fast, even prone I broke though the ice covered snow...  My last 2 slides into clear view saw a buck run up the opposite hill.  Never caught up to him...  That was fun.  So crunchy and exposed I gave him up after inspecting his tracks. 

He heard me approaching yet stayed to see what I was, once identified I was busted and he was gone.  :banghead:

Deer seem to avoid the heavy thick swamps on my property and the really soft stuff you have trouble walking in, guess what so do they, look at the design of the feet.. I see deer skirting but never really going into swamps and really have to question the idea that deer hang out in swamps. There's a lot of definitions for what a swamp really is but the O.P. did say thick swamp and in that case just hunt the outskirts...

Edited by sits in trees

Deer seem to avoid the heavy thick swamps on my property and the really soft stuff you have trouble walking in, guess what so do they, look at the design of the feet.. I see deer skirting but never really going into swamps and really have to question the idea that deer hang out in swamps. There's a lot of definitions for what a swamp really is but the O.P. did say thick swamp and in that case just hunt the outskirts...

All I can say is WOW!!! All those trail and tracks going in and out and all through the swamps I've hunted by must have been my imagination! Theres no question that deer hang out in swamps. I've watched them walk out into the middle of them and bed down for hours on a dry spot not much bigger than the deer itself.

Agree....deer love those high and dry spots in swamps. One swamp technique we have used is for a couple of guys to watch such high spots while another, or a couple more slide through the swamp hoping to move deer off their beds with the hope that they will move to the spots being watched. Our experience suggests that deer choose not to leave the swamp during most of the day. Rather, if jumped, they will simply move to another high spot within the swamp. Note: for this type of hunting the guys doing the moving will need 16" rubber boots...or maybe even hip waders to get to some of the secluded spots.