Bowhunting the regular season

WhitetailAddict11

This topic has been covered before I'm sure, but as I sit here at work hiding in the back room looking through property line maps of course (haha), searching for potential land to ask permission, I'm disappointed us diehard bow guys can't bow hunt during the regular season. A few of the these places I have my eye on I plan to ask permission for bow only just to get my foot in the door for the first year, and because I would prefer to bow hunt anyways. It's a bummer though that I would have to be done on these properties after November 15th until the very late season. What's the states thinking behind not allowing bow during the regular season?

You can bow hunt during regular season

Q: May I use my Bow/Muzzleloading tags (either-sex and antlerless tags) during the Regular Season?

A: No. Bow/Muzzleloading tags are only valid during the special bowhunting and muzzleloading seasons depending on which privileges you purchased. Bow/Muzzleloading tags are not valid during the Regular Seasons, except in Westchester and Suffolk Counties or by junior archers hunting with a bow during the regular seasons.

--so does this mean I can hunt with a bow during the regular season but must tag a buck with my regular season tag?

Yea you can bow hunt during regular season but you have to use your regular season tags. At least that's how it is in the southern zone I believe it's the same way up north

this.

i've done it on my one stand that's a little too close to some houses (although legal) for comfort. Honestly though the archery season is long enough that I generally don't have the urge. I also have only used my mz during late season.

I'd like to see them change the tag structure to "2 bucks per year" regardless of when you take them. I know a lot of guys who would rather take 2 during bow then 1 each season. I believe they don't do this because how the numbers would be impacted by gun though.

btw, You can use your regular season during late if you didn't know.

I enjoy bowhunting much more than using a slug or a MZ. But, I find that once gun season rolls around, I rarely pick up the bow again. Especially late season...I actually enjoy that time with the MZ specifically.

I have used a bow in areas closer to houses, legally, during gun season. Some of these spots can be gems because of the pressure moving the deer to such areas. Like I said, though, I enjoy bowhunting more, but it's a tool of the circumstance in that instance.

• Like 1

I enjoy bowhunting much more than using a slug or a MZ. But, I find that once gun season rolls around, I rarely pick up the bow again. Especially late season...I actually enjoy that time with the MZ specifically.

I have used a bow in areas closer to houses, legally, during gun season. Some of these spots can be gems because of the pressure moving the deer to such areas. Like I said, though, I enjoy bowhunting more, but it's a tool of the circumstance in that instance.

How can you legally shoot in areas closer to houses? Is there a special permit required or something?  I thought that 500 ft rule for rifles applied to bows too.

How can you legally shoot in areas closer to houses? Is there a special permit required or something?  I thought that 500 ft rule for rifles applied to bows too.

the only way is if you own the house or have permission from the owner.

It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

• so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
  • within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
  • within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
  • You may hunt waterfowl, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet in the direction you are shooting.

In most instances, they are neighbors or distant family members who give me permission to do so. As long as you have permission, then all is good. One elderly neighbor lets me hunt within 75 yards of his home with the shotgun (only shooting away from the house)...I often give him a doe each year and cut up his firewood.

People often fail to realize how far 500 ft really is in terms of distance to a house. Alot of people probably break that rule, sometimes unknowingly.

I remember reading somewhere that if you took a 500 ft line and drew a circle around a house, that it'd eat up 17 acres or something along those lines.

Edited by phade

In most instances, they are neighbors or distant family members who give me permission to do so. As long as you have permission, then all is good. One elderly neighbor lets me hunt within 75 yards of his home with the shotgun (only shooting away from the house)...I often give him a doe each year and cut up his firewood.

People often fail to realize how far 500 ft really is in terms of distance to a house. Alot of people probably break that rule, sometimes unknowingly.

I remember reading somewhere that if you took a 500 ft line and drew a circle around a house, that it'd eat up 17 acres or something along those lines.

yeah i used google earth's measuring tool and it's quite a distance. Dumb rule for archery if you ask me.

late season meaning muzzleloader/bow,  you can use your regular season buck tag?

correct. so if you drop a buck with your bow and do not harvest one with gun, you can use regular season to take one with the mz or bow in late season. It's hard to believe the DEC allows that, because it actually makes sense :)

There's some idiot who hunts with a bow behind my parents house, barely 2 acres. He hunts from his backyard and is like 175 yards from my parents house and 1 other house. The deer he shoots always run onto other people's property and down the roads, etc. He never worries about asking for permission to enter somebody's property till after he shoots the deer.

yeah i used google earth's measuring tool and it's quite a distance. Dumb rule for archery if you ask me.

correct. so if you drop a buck with your bow and do not harvest one with gun, you can use regular season to take one with the mz or bow in late season. It's hard to believe the DEC allows that, because it actually makes sense :)

But it doesnt make sense for areas that have extremely low or no doe tag allocation.