Lest We Forget

Voting record on the NYS Safe Act

Just to have the voting record available on this forum, Here is the way your legislators voted on that so-called "Safe Act". Whenever you get the time, find your legislator's name and see how they voted. Do with that information what you feel is appropriate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SENATE COMMITTEE VOTE: – Rules – Jan 14, 2013

VOTING TO INFRINGE YOUR GUN RIGHTS – Ayes (18): Skelos, Libous, Carlucci, Flanagan,
Fuschillo, LaValle, Marcellino, Valesky, Stewart-Cousins, Breslin, Dilan, Hassell-Thompson,
Krueger, Montgomery, Parker, Perkins, Espaillat,
Gianaris; Ayes W/R (1): Hannon

VOTING TO PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS – Nays (6): Bonacic, Farley, Larkin, Maziarz,
Nozzolio, Seward

SENATE FLOOR VOTE: – Jan 14. 2013 Ayes (43) Nays (18) Excused (1)

VOTING TO INFRINGE YOUR GUN RIGHTS – Ayes: Adams, Addabbo, Avella, Boyle, Breslin,
Carlucci, Diaz, Dilan, Espaillat, Felder, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gianaris, Gipson, Golden, Grisanti,
Hannon, Hassell-Thompson, Hoylman, Kennedy, Klein, Krueger, Lanza, Latimer, LaValle,
Marcellino, Martins, Montgomery, O’Brien, Parker, Peralta, Perkins, Rivera, Sampson, Sanders,
Savino, Serrano, Skelos, Smith, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousins, Valesky
Ayes: 43; (Democrat:32 Republican:11)

VOTING TO PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS – Nays: Ball, Bonacic, DeFrancisco, Farley,
Gallivan, Griffo, Larkin, Libous, Little, Marchione, Maziarz, Nozzolio, O’Mara, Ranzenhofer,
Ritchie, Robach, Seward, Young
Nays: 18; (Democrat:0 Republican:18)
Excused: Zeldin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASSEMBLY FLOOR VOTE: – Jan 15, 2013 Ayes (104) Nays (43) Excused (3)

VOTING TO INFRINGE YOUR GUN RIGHTS – Ayes: Abbate, Abinanti, Arroyo, Aubry, Barrett,
Barron, Benedetto, Boyland, Braunstein, Brennan, Bronson, Brook-Krasny, Buchwald, Cahill,
Camara, Castro, Clark, Colton, Cook, Curran, Cusick, Cymbrowitz, DenDekker, Dinowitz,
Englebright, Espinal, Fahy, Farrell, Galef, Gantt, Gibson, Gjonaj, Glick, Goldfeder, Gottfried,
Heastie, Hennessey, Hevesi, Hikind, Hooper, Jacobs, Jaffee, Kavanagh, Kellner, Kim, Lavine,
Lentol, Lifton, Vito Lopez, Losquadro, Lupinacci, Magnarelli, Maisel, Malliotakis, Markey, Mayer,
McDonald, McDonough, McKevitt, Miller, Millman, Morelle, Mosley, Moya, Nolan, O’Donnell,
Ortiz, Otis, Paulin, Peoples-Stokes, Perry, Pretlow, Quart, Ra, Ramos, Roberts, Robinson,
Rodriguez, Rosa, Rosenthal, Rozic, Russell, Ryan, Santabarbara, Scarborough, Schimel,
Sepulveda, Silver, Simanowitz, Simotas, Skartados, Solages, Steck, Stevenson, Stirpe,
Sweeney, Thiele, Titone, Titus, W einstein, Weisenberg, Weprin, Wright, Zebrowski
Ayes: 104; (Democrat:96 Republican:7 Independent:1)

VOTING TO PROTECT YOUR GUN RIGHTS - Nays: Barclay, Blankenbush, Borelli, Brindisi,
Butler, Ceretto, Corwin, Crouch, DiPietro, Duprey, Finch, Friend, Gabryszak, Garbarino, Giglio,
Goodell, Graf, Gunther, Hawley, Johns, Jordan, Katz, Kearns, Kolb, Lalor, Peter Lopez,
Lupardo, Magee, McLaughlin, Montesano, Nojay, Oaks, Palmesano, Rabbitt, Raia, Reilich,
Saladino, Schimminger, Skoufis, Stec, Tedisco, Tenney, Walter
Nays: 43; (Democrat:8 Republican:35 Independent:0)
Excused: Crespo, Fitzpatrick, Rivera

Don’t know who your NYS Assemblyman is?

Go to:     http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?sh=search

Fill in your address and result will show your NYS Assemblyman and your NYS Assembly district number. Write it down somewhere.

Don’t know who your NYS Senator is?

Go to:   http://www.nysenate.gov/

Fill in your address and result will show your NYS Senator, his addresses, and your NYS Senate district number. Write it down somewhere.

Want to see how these reps voted on the Safe Act  look at listings above and locate their name.

• Like 4

hopefully the pro gun candidates will make it known when they run against the anti gun politicians.

The currently elected senate as well as the senate districting, facilitates pro-hunting bills. However legislation must also pass the assembly, which is not facilitative. It is the handful of hunting-friendly down state democrats in the assembly who can make things happen for us. Even a few of them can influence other democrats and make a divisive bill a bipartisan bill, especially if they sponsor or cosponsor an assembly companion bill. The assembly is the weak link to deal with, and the handful of hunter-friendly assembly members, particularly democrats, fortify that link.

Very important topic, so should it be pinned.

Now should one vote the 25 Republicans out in favor of the Safe Act and vote in MORE Liberal Democrats?

Kind of a lose - lose situation  isn't it!

Whether its a lose-lose situation I guess depends on how many republican values you as an individual identify with. I don't think a handful of pro gun democrats can sway their party on gun control bills , but I don't rule out that they can persuade enough of their cronies to cooperate on things related to pro-hunting changes in NY state environmental conservation law.

The NY senate seems to go along with just about anything we want regarding environmental conservation law as long as we show them enough of us want it and we outnumber any opposition to it. The senate has a lot of both republican and upstate representation, if you will. But to enact something into law (as you and ants know) it must also pass in the assembly. The assembly is not represented as heavily by upstate, republican ideology (in lack of a better way to put it). It is not uncommon for pro-hunting bills to pass the senate but not survive the assembly. A few democratic friends in the assembly is the most realistic approach IMO. Educating them so that they can better sell our agendas to their fellow democrats is also a good idea.

I will tell you all how I am going to use this record. Those in my district that voted for the Safe Act will be voted against regardless of who is running against them (I have one of each). They will receive an e-mail and a letter explaining why. Those that voted against the Safe Act in my district will receive my vote ... again, regardless of who their opposition is. Democrat, Republican, independent, Liberal, or Conservative be damned. This vote will not be cast for or against any particular ideology other than against those that made it clear that they think the 2nd Amendment is dead. Gun owner supporters will also receive an e-mail and a letter explaining my vote. There will also be "letters-to-the- editor" published to further explain my vote in a more public way.

It's really that simple. A single issue vote (for this coming election anyway). I want my vote to send a message to all NYS legislators that a vote against gun owners rights has consequences to their future in politics. I want them to feel the pressure of the NRA, and the understanding that it costs dearly to disregard gun-owner rights and the 2nd Amendment. We need to assert our strength and bring a fear of the gun-owner vote again. If large quantities of gun owners did the same (for this one election), there would be a powerful message sent that would ensure that people like those that callously voted in the dark of night for an action that was clearly aimed at gun owners, would never again dare to pull such a stunt.

I realize that by the time the election rolls around, most of those who were so enraged will all be calmed down again and worrying about many other things that are more current or more in  tune with their own personal ideologies. I also understand that there are those that feel they must vote party affiliation regardless of whether the recipients are truly working for us or against us. I can't control their votes, but I can control mine. And this time I have a single message for those guys and I am going to make sure they understand what that message is. And hopefully there will be many others that join me in sending this message to Albany and all those that intend to ever get there as legislators.

I will tell you all how I am going to use this record. Those in my district that voted for the Safe Act will be voted against regardless of who is running against them (I have one of each). They will receive an e-mail and a letter explaining why. Those that voted against the Safe Act in my district will receive my vote ... again, regardless of who their opposition is. Democrat, Republican, independent, Liberal, or Conservative be damned. This vote will not be cast for or against any particular ideology other than against those that made it clear that they think the 2nd Amendment is dead. Gun owner supporters will also receive an e-mail and a letter explaining my vote. There will also be "letters-to-the- editor" published to further explain my vote in a more public way.

It's really that simple. A single issue vote (for this coming election anyway). I want my vote to send a message to all NYS legislators that a vote against gun owners rights has consequences to their future in politics. I want them to feel the pressure of the NRA, and the understanding that it costs dearly to disregard gun-owner rights and the 2nd Amendment. We need to assert our strength and bring a fear of the gun-owner vote again. If large quantities of gun owners did the same (for this one election), there would be a powerful message sent that would ensure that people like those that callously voted in the dark of night for an action that was clearly aimed at gun owners, would never again dare to pull such a stunt.

I realize that by the time the election rolls around, most of those who were so enraged will all be calmed down again and worrying about many other things that are more current or more in  tune with their own personal ideologies. I also understand that there are those that feel they must vote party affiliation regardless of whether the recipients are truly working for us or against us. I can't control their votes, but I can control mine. And this time I have a single message for those guys and I am going to make sure they understand what that message is. And hopefully there will be many others that join me in sending this message to Albany and all those that intend to ever get there as legislators.

that's a good point ,and I agree, tell them why you're voting against them and if worst comes to worst you're voting in another with the same view..........so nothing really lost.

Here Here!

• 5 months later...

I hate to tell you but I know Magee and I think he's on his last leg.  I am from Oneida.  He is done soon he can barely walk or talk.  Great guy and farmer but he is done

The eight democratic assembly members who voted to protect gun rights are important to us. I know Magee from Oneida is one of them, who are the  other seven ?

I hate to tell you but I know Magee and I think he's on his last leg.  I am from Oneida.  He is done soon he can barely walk or talk.  Great guy and farmer but he is done

Has he been replaced? If so his successor needs to be grilled a bit on where he/she stands on the SAFE Act. If his position is to be vacant until the next election, you all need to stay on top of it all until you have candidates to interrogate Interview. Examine voting records. Check with whatever gun advocacy organization that you belong to. They usually have done some research on up-coming candidates. If we're losing a pro-gun legislator, we need to be sure that the replacement is pro-gun. 

There is more to it than who voted for or against it. My senator is Ritchie who voted against it Russell My assembly person voted for it.  However dig deeper.  When they asked for the message of necessity, not one senator stood up against it to include mine.  I have called her on it also.  All it takes is one to stand up and say they are against the message of necessity and it stops.  Not one to include the 18 who voted against it stood up.  Then when the budget came around, they all voted to fund the 28 million for the safe act.  If one senator stood up this would never have passed as the public uproar would have been before it was voted on.  Just saying look into those who voted against it and see what they did after.  A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf. 

I am purposely keeping it simple and straight forward. A simple up or down vote on these people to send to them a straight forward message that can't be confused. You vote anti-gun, I'll vote for your opponent. That is why I said that I am a single-issue voter this time around. I know there are other issues that need to be dealt with, but for this particular election, if you voted for the act, I am voting for your opponent. If you voted against it, you get my vote. That is the simple message I want to send and I don't want that confused by any other issues regardless of their merit. It is time that gun owners put the fear of God back into politicians, and we have the single issue to do that with if we can stay focused and on target.

We have a unique situation available to us this time around. We have a situation that has unified almost all gun owners and has caused  a significant united uprising. I have never seen this magnitude of anger and I don't foresee ever seeing it again. It is an opportunity that if squandered will never be available again. The trick here is to keep the campaign focused, simple and easy for the masses to get behind. That's the best way to maximize the effect of this opportunity. If we begin to head off into independent side directions, or in anyway complicate the message, we lose all benefit of the uniquely united position that we have. A simple, straight forward, focused, voting message is a statement that will last for many generations and make the politicians understand again that gun rights are dangerous to mess with if they value their careers.  

Been waiting for this issue to surface. I called this out way back in January, with emails to our representatives Maziarz and Corwin to block the funding for the safe act. Their response was once the govener had so much support,little could be done to block the bills funding, as ways would be implemented to establish emergency funding, as they called it. Did our elected officials miss an opportunity to block the Safe Act from reality, or did they?

No I doubt they could have blocked it, but voting against it shows you are really against the safe act.  Jumping from one side of the fence to the other to keep in good graces is not acceptable in my books  They vote against the safe act go to rallies and say how they are for the sportsman and gun owner they vote to fund it.  I told me senator this.  If you support us why didn't you stand against the message of necessity.  and say I want time to read and understand this and get input from my constituents as well as debate on the floor of the senate  All it would take was one no.   umm nope that would not be politically good.  Then vote for the budget.  I told her one out of three does not put you in my good graces.  In may I traveled to Albany for a message of necessity rally.  we had over 400 thousand signed post cards demanding they take the bill sponsored by assmeblyman katz to repeal out of committee where it died and bring it to a vote.  We lobbied and I met with an assembly person from NYC in his office. I asked him if he voted for the Safe act he replied he did.  I asked why he would support unconstitutional legislation.  He stated it was an emotional time and something had to be done.  I asked did you vote with your emotions or your mind.  He would not respond.  he said there are things in the works to change it.  I asked when do you plan to push the legislation out of committee.  he dismissed me.  My own assemblywoman refused to meet with me.  She told me I needed tio make an appointment and dismissed me.  

Edited by bubba

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you should now who they are and what they stand for on more than just guns.  here are reps will just about pick up a gun and join the fight if it comes down to it. lol  makes my voting job easier in that sense.

For me this year's state elections are already decided. I am voting a single issue, and that is the Safe Act issue. The voting record on that law is my litmus test. If you voted for it .... you're out of here!

I know, that flies in the face of everything that we are told to base our vote on, but for me this is a special election. I have just watched a lot of our legislators trash the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I watched them employ some of the sneakiest tactics that border on illegal, and should indeed be made illegal. I watched them all fall in line behind this miserable excuse for a Governor and that includes a lot of Republicans as well, showing that their politics is far more important than any independent thought on the issue of gun rights. Every character flaw that a politician can have was bared in that vote. I also picked up on a new philosophy of legislators in that they now hold their constituents in contempt and currently feel beyond the reach of the voters. They make fools of us and feel untouchable.

Well, this year it is important to put that "touch" back into public service. It is time to restore that fear of the voter again rather than the contempt and disrespect. I can think of no other issue to express our outrage over and to demonstrate that  even a minority can join with others to create an upset, and to show these guys that disrespecting constituents can be risky to their political careers. It may even involve holding my nose and voting for somebody that I would normally not even consider voting for.

So this is the year to put the fear back into politicians. We have the issue. We have the gun owner's rage. We have mostly a scene of gun owner solidarity if we can keep this issue alive. For the first time in forever, we have had gun owners demonstrating, and pretty well fired up about this Safe Act. It is a once in a lifetime situation of solidarity that could make the gun owning lobby something that will not be tested again for a very long time.

To put it another way, if we do not seize this once in a lifetime opportunity, we will be clearly demonstrating that the gun lobby is a paper tiger to be laughed at and bulldozed over with even more invasive laws to an extent that we can't even imagine. So am I going to worry about issues like fiscal and social responsibility? .... Not this year. That will wait until after I have sent my message this year to these legislators. For me this year is the election to take back our right to hire and fire these guys and let them know exactly why it is being done. To me that is currently the most important issue. At stake is the credibility of the voters. You can't get any more important than that.

I have edited the original post of this thread to add information on identifying your NYS senator and assemblyman for those that are wondering about that. It's easy to use. You just type in you postal address with the zip code, and your results are instantly provided. Then look up these people in the text of this post and see how they voted on the Safe Act.

• 7 months later...