How many deer would it take?

ridgerunner88

Advanced alien beings create a supercomputer, called Deep Thought, to figure out the answer to the so-called Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. After calculating for 7.5-million years, Deep Thought determined the answer was the number 42.

Venison is lower in cholesterol and fat than other red meats and is fine to eat that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s certainly Healthier but 180lbs per year cannot be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Venison and perch/walleyes are my favorite protein sources.  I was surprised to read online that venison seems to have more cholesterol than other critters, beef in particular.  That, of course, does not mean that it is not a healthy choice.  It has less calories than most other protein choices.  I think the high cholesterol of venison may have to do with the fact that the muscle tissue is relatively dense.  Venison chops and fried perch - surf and turf - oh my!

Edited by jperch
misspell
  • Like 4

How long is a piece of string ?

180 lunches is not 180# s of meat in my world , 1/2 pound per day would be plenty , I believe some Hamburg joints sell 1/4 pounders and they sell very well to the lunch crowd .

One big buck or a couple of does , 4 fawns , one average buck and a doe , or two fawns and an average buck , are we using wolc123’s girth chart ? So many factors .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How long is a piece of string ?
180 lunches is not 180# s of meat in my world , 1/2 pound per day would be plenty , I believe some Hamburg joints sell 1/4 pounders and they sell very well to the lunch crowd .
One big buck or a couple of does , 4 fawns , one average buck and a doe , or two fawns and an average buck , are we using wolc123’s girth chart ? So many factors .

Four bucks is only eight balls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here in NE part of the state your average mature doe weighs about 120lbs. Some bigger and others smaller that are young. Bucks yield a little higher percentage and very old or very young deer yield less. You get about 35% of field dressed weight in well trimmed meat. So for .5 lb or so per day you're about 2 deer. If you shoot a big mature buck that weighs more and gets more that might enough by itself.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

yield from most deer is about 45-50% of its dressed weight.  So figure about 45-50 pounds of meat per deer unless its a big one.   An average 110 pound doe is only gonna yield about 40#s of meat.   
I trim fat and silver skin pretty meticulously and get around 40% at most. I feel like 45-50% seems high even for a buck.

• Like 1

I trim fat and silver skin pretty meticulously and get around 40% at most. I feel like 45-50% seems high even for a buck.

Yes I agree but I meant after field dressing. I usually get 45-55 lbs after making burger etc with stuff added.

If you get a 120lb doe and lose 25-30lbs field dressing, then the deer is maybe 90lbs. So 45-50% at best is 40-45#s of meat. So we are about the same #s. And that's with no damage and depends on the person cutting.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 is all I shoot

But I have personal rules l follow. I go by weight on bucks not rack size. If I kill a buck in bow season then I use rack size to decide if I will shoot the second buck it has to be bigger. 

I like to hunt. As I've gotten older l've learned we have only a set amount of hunting seasons in us and I'm going to enjoy the one's I have left.

• Like 2

2 is all I shoot
But I have personal rules l follow. I go by weight on bucks not rack size. If I kill a buck in bow season then I use rack size to decide if I will shoot the second buck it has to be bigger. 
I like to hunt. As I've gotten older l've learned we have only a set amount of hunting seasons in us and I'm going to enjoy the one's I have left.
If everyone only hunted to fill tags then we'd retain way less than half the hunting population every year. If you can't enjoy just being out there idk why you'd even do it. Thinking about older generations of family members that used to be serious hunters i totally get the limited seasons left.