How many deer would it take?

ridgerunner88

On 8/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, BizCT said:

I love red meat, but eating it 180 days per year does not seem smart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right, you should be eating steak at least 200 days a year. And lots of bacon and hot dogs and sausage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, BizCT said:

I love red meat, but eating it 180 days per year does not seem smart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In our house wild game fish &fowl is all we eat 7 days a week 365 /yr 

We do not buy meat at the store if we don't kill it catch it or grow it we don't eat it ,you will never find domestic store bought /farm  raised meat in our house  been that way  for 60+yrs

• Like 6

Our focus area is so overpopulated that we kill 20+ deer a year collectively. A few years I shot 10 myself. Our buck to doe ratio is much more balanced and we see more bucks every year. We eat 3 to 4 deer a year. I take great care of it and share some amount of it with friends and family. I have 30lbs left from last season, so I'll be more picky this year until its gone

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TLR said:

We do not buy meat at the store if we don't kill it catch it or grow it we don't eat it ,you will never find domestic store bought /farm  raised meat in our house  been that way  for 60+yrs

you're eating fowl and fish. that makes sense. please re-read my comment about eating red meat 180 days per year

1 hour ago, TLR said:

That’s impressive TLR.   

1 hour ago, TLR said:

That’s impressive TLR.   

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

this was my thought too, but would include about 5-10 pounds of pork butt/shoulder to grind 80/20. 

I don’t add anything to the ground except I mail add some ground beef to ground venison for a meatloaf or burgers.   Usually though if it’s burgers it’ll be beef.   90% and sometimes 85% lean.    80% is the tastiest but makes a heck of a mess with the grill and arteries.   

5 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I don’t add anything to the ground except I mail add some ground beef to ground venison for a meatloaf or burgers.   Usually though if it’s burgers it’ll be beef.   90% and sometimes 85% lean.    80% is the tastiest but makes a heck of a mess with the grill and arteries.   

yeah this is for sure a personal preference. I think 80% is still pretty lean all things considered and I get a little more out of my venison this way and it sticks a little better. Heck I do 50/50 for sausage and at some point you're not eating wild game anymore lol.

My point was that you can stretch your venison if you're creative. Lot eat the heart and liver too. Not a liver fan but I'll never waste a heart again. Our new lab is on a meat diet and I'm going to save a lot of the scraps I normally toss for him this year too like flank and other edibles. 

• Like 2