anyone hunt in Hawaii

greybeard

I didn't listen to my wife, so I did not book a hunting trip before I went to Hawaii. I spoke to her about it the last couple of times that we were in the Islands, and she kept telling me to do it. I didn't do it and as I passed a ranch that books hunts I kicked myself, and am regretting my decision daily.

I saw lots of wild(feral) goats while we were driving around the Island and some had impressive horns. They also have boar,which I did not see, which would be my priority, but would hunt for goats .

I'm thinking of going back in the next year, or so back to the Big Island, and was wondering if anyone has any hunting experiences on any of the Hawaiian Islands., and their opinions.

I know someone from the local SCI chapter that did a cruise and after did a hunt.

I know he used the outfitters rifle and shot a goat and something else.....axis maybe.

Google up Pat Fisher hunting hawaii.

I know you can apply for DIY on some park lands for control work from what IIRC.

I hunted the Big Island 2 years ago on the Parker Ranch.They were heavily advertised as a hunting ranch but when I got there I was told that its not really a priority anymore maybe lack of interest.It is a working cattle ranch and thats the main source of income.I did get hooked up with a great guy that worked on the ranch who was ex military and a shooting instructor and he guided me on a goat hunt.He told me that the family members that own the ranch now just sell off property when they need money (they own thousands upon thousands of acres) and the hunting activity doesnt really generate enough income.All that aside he was a great guy and put me on plenty of animals.It was not a slam dunk, it took about 6 hours to find, stalk and kill a nice goat.Theres no fences or anything canned this is a wild hunt in some of the greatest terrain you'll ever see.If your going back I would say give them a call make sure they still offer hunts and definitely try to go during turkey season in the spring that island is loaded with huge gobblers and no pressure.I missed the season by 2 weeks and still kicking myself they are litterally everywhere on the island where there is trees and grass especially the north side.I used a borrowed gun from the ranch which was dead on.I have also heard about an operation called Hawaiin Safaris or something like that but no firsthand experience.Good Luck

LIOUTDOORSMAN..The ranch that I saw was the Parker Ranch. I've been researching it lately, and just got info about another place from Dinsdale. Now I'll check both places. I have at least a year before I go back, so I have some time.

The terrain is incredible, it's different from Kauai and Maui . I took a wrong turn one day and wound up driving 190 for a while and was amazed at the open land.

I never cared about goat hunting before until I saw some really nice horns on some. I would like to hunt boar and goats, but not sure if I want to spend the time, so will probably go with boar on my next trip.

I didn't see turkey, but the locals told me that there were loads of them. I did see 2 wild peacocks though. I love turkey hunting,but I doubt that I could add that for the next time... Maybe a trip after that one

Thanks for the info.

We went towards the end of the spring season and drove a rental car around the entire island.The northern part held some ranches that looked like they were in Wyoming or Montana.The turkeys were still seeking mates and we really did see loads of gobblers in full strut almost continuously during out trip.It was awesome and very frustrating at the same time as you could imagine.I'll bet it wouldnt be that hard to gain permission for a hunt but getting a gun onto the island is tricky with red tape but not impossible.My wife took me to a private beach in a resort where we had to walk through the golf course to get to a secluded beach area aprox 100 yds from the beach were huge longbeard gobblers strutting and gobbling for the hens in the middle of the day with tourists just walking by in bathing suits!!!!.The goat hunt was awesome and I ended up taking a nice cinnamon colored brown one that the guide froze the head  in the ranch freezer and we picked it up at the end of our trip and checked it in on the plane like luggage no problem.

LIoutdoorsman..

You answered my next question, which was about the taxidermy.. If I do hunt on my next trip, I thought that I would have the head(s) mounted there and shipped.

I'd love to see your photos.. I have dreams about the horns on some of those goats.....(Funny what you dream about when you get old...scarey !!)

New questions.. Were there any extra fees at the Parker Ranch ???

Would you hunt there again, or try another outfitter?

No turkeys near the beach where I was.The main things that I saw on the beach were turtles.. lots of them..There were loads of Mongooses running around too in the rocks, and brush. I'd like to hunt them with an airgun..  When they'd run, I'd squeak at them and many times they'd stop, perfect for a shot....

They have some kinda bird that looks like a hen pheasant with no tails,I'm probably gonna get it wrong, but  I think they are called francolins, or something like that.. I saw quite a few there and have seen them on Maui.. I "think" that they hunt them, but not sure.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from the dead.

Anybody ever hunt for FREE-RANGE, 100% FAIR-CHASE Axis Deer in Maui? 

I am most likely going to Maui for 9-10 days in June/July 2015 for my honeymoon.  If so, I am thinking about possibly doing a 1 day hunt for Axis Deer.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead.

Anybody ever hunt for FREE-RANGE, 100% FAIR-CHASE Axis Deer in Maui?

I am most likely going to Maui for 9-10 days in June/July 2015 for my honeymoon. If so, I am thinking about possibly doing a 1 day hunt for Axis Deer.

Is it really free range on an island? :)

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

From what I've read about the Axis in Hawaii is that are an invasive species and considered a pest to farmers and landowners you shouldnt have a problem getting permission to take one but it would probably be with bow..they might be against a gun being fired on the property. Then again they might not..

They even have a program to thin out the herds like whats going on out East in Long Island

Let us know how you make out.Hawaii is an awesome place

Good luck,

Just wanted to put it in perspective, what really is "high fence?"

A fence that restricts a deer because it can't jump over it lol.

From what I've read about the Axis in Hawaii is that are an invasive species and considered a pest to farmers and landowners you shouldnt have a problem getting permission to take one but it would probably be with bow..they might be against a gun being fired on the property. Then again they might not..

They even have a program to thin out the herds like whats going on out East in Long Island

Let us know how you make out.Hawaii is an awesome place

Good luck,

Looks like there are some outfitters in Maui who allow you to use their rifle so you don't have to travel with firearms to Hawaii for just a 1 day hunt.

http://www.hawaiisafaris.com/Hawaii-Game-Hunting.php < Pat Fisher. Read good things about him as a guide on the bowsite forum.

http://www.mauihuntingsafari.com/services-hunt-packages/ < another outfitter

Will the new wife be hunting with you, Biz??  Taking a day away from a honeymoon to go hunt by yourself may not sit well with her, no matter what she may be saying about it now.  If she goes with you, it might be OK, but if she doesn't, you'll never hear the end of it.  Just a friendly warning. 

• Like 1

Will the new wife be hunting with you, Biz??  Taking a day away from a honeymoon to go hunt by yourself may not sit well with her, no matter what she may be saying about it now.  If she goes with you, it might be OK, but if she doesn't, you'll never hear the end of it.  Just a friendly warning. 

Haha, no. She doesn't hunt. I did say "thinking about possibly" lol.  However, I did get the OK to play a round of golf in Hawaii by myself. Was thinking about ditching my round of golf for a deer hunt. I haven't brought anything up to her yet. Not until I know for sure if I even want to do it.  Might just be better off with a fishing charter, which is something that she would want to do.

Haha, no. She doesn't hunt. I did say "thinking about possibly" lol.  However, I did get the OK to play a round of golf in Hawaii by myself. Was thinking about ditching my round of golf for a deer hunt. I haven't brought anything up to her yet. Not until I know for sure if I even want to do it.  Might just be better off with a fishing charter, which is something that she would want to do.

Just want to help get your marriage off to a good start!  During the honeymoon she'll probably want you to be thinking about her, and NOT deer hunting or golf balls.  LOL  

Just want to help get your marriage off to a good start! During the honeymoon she'll probably want you to be thinking about her, and NOT deer hunting or golf balls. LOL

That's actually a bad start IMO. You should be doing what you love, regardless of the occasion as log as you tell her ahead of time and not springing it on her last minute. If she's not cool with it, there's still time to find another.

I was in Hawaii (main island) many years ago. They have a huge problem with feral jigs even back then. Went on a nature hike and our guide came across some fresh hog signs. Steered us in another direction because he didn't want to come across them. Telling us how dangerous they are and the destruction they cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk