anyone hunt in Hawaii

greybeard

Listen if you got a chance to hunt Hawaii go for it whether its your honeymoon or not.Hawaii is an awesome place and not a destination youll go back to right away, if at all.You'll kick yourself later on if you dont.

Got this nice cinnamon goat on the Parker Ranch on the big Island

post-3304-0-34866800-1390004894_thumb.jp

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Island, A goat(Billy). Maybe I'll stop in one day, and we can discuss the hunts.(I don't want to spend time on the computer these days)

The GOLDEN YEARS just threw me a curve, but hopefully I'll get back soon for black Hawaiian ram. Then, hopefully, pig and then to Maui for Axis.

As  wrote earlier, my wife wants me to split the hunts over 3 years so she can spend more time there. She picks the hotels and they have everything she wants so she doesn't care if I go off to hunt. We've been married for most of our lives, but maybe as newlyweds it'd be different

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I don't hunt much in New York anymore so I don't have anything to post here these days. However, I have hunted in Hawaii a few times since my last post so I thought I'd mention that . In fact, I  just returned to New York on Tuesday and had successfully hunted rams on the trip.

I had some fun and successful goat and ram hunts on the Big Island and  also saw some boar, but the boar were not what I was looking for so I passed on them. I've seen some really great turkeys and even got 3 to gobble at my calling, but I haven't hunted them in Hawaii. I called just for the fun of it.

I know that I previously wrote that I was going to boar hunt and even try for Axis deer on Maui, but I got too hung up on the goats and it became an addiction of sorts I guess. I only changed to rams because, last November, I convinced myself that the ram Euro mounts would look good in my room, next to the goats, and they do. I still scout for goats to photograph them, but took a break FOR NOW from shooting another one.

I've learned a lot about hunting in Hawaii, and I really enjoyed researching, online, on the phone and by scouting while on Hawaii Island.

My wife and I love being on the Islands, so adding a hunt to our vacation is a great addition for me.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone who reads this post will vacation in Hawaii and want to hunt,  but if so I thought that I should mention this.

One outfitter, on the Big Island  offers hotel  pick up before the hunt and drop off  at the hotel after the hunt. That may work well for anyone who vacations there with their spouse. It frees up a rental car(if you rented one) so that  he/she has opportunities to shop, etc.

I'm curious, what are they hunting for, and on which Island(s).  I like to hear about how hunters are doing on the various Islands. Each Island may have different species of game to hunt.. My next hunt will probably be for feral rams again because that's my new addiction, but after that I'm not sure  so I like to keep up with current stories of Island hunting.

(They call the rams that I've taken on my last  trips Black Hawaiian Rams, but I believe that they are a different specie than what the  hunting preserves call Black Hawaiians. If, I recall correctly, the Black Hawaiians on the mainland are a breed initiated in Texas.)

3 hours ago, greybeard said:

Jeremy K,  I hate to admit this, but  I am obsolete, and  did not know what IG was. I just looked it up  and learned and read what he was hunting for. I'm a bit behind the times with technology.

I'm not that far ahead , i just started using a few months ago to follow some riders,fighters and hunters.

I taught myself to text on my flip phone in April so I could get a text message from the outfitter in Hawaii. I liked the text message because I could save it and then I would not forget info that I needed to know for the hunt....

I think that texting is as far as I'll go until I'm forced to change.

Jeremy K.... I enjoy watching New Yorkers hunting in various places. I'm not sure if too many people do that also. So, I don't know if you're interested in this, but there are 2 guys from Western NY who hunted Hawaii and have the hunt  on Youtube.. I just found that these guys have a local tv show and saw the episode on line also. They hunted goats/sheep/boar..

If you are interested let me know and I'll give you the episode...

I had only horns(no skull) done on some goats. I attached 2 of them unnaturally because that's the only way that I could eventually display them on my wall.

I'm having the 2 rams, that I shot in May 2017 done(European Mount) in Hawaii . I'm not sure where I'll hang them, but just wanted them.

I found another picture so I thought that I'd add it to here with some info.

We went to Kauai after the Big Island in May 2016. We took a helicopter tour over the Island because we wanted to see Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast from the air. As we flew over the Island the pilot showed pointed out an area where he boar hunted. I had just finished a goat hunt on Hawaii and hadn't prepared to hunt Kauai so I decided to scout for, and hopefully learn about possible future hunting. I knew that Kauai didn't have sheep, but they do have goat and boar hunting, There are even some blacktail deer in spots on Kauai, but I think that the success rate is low.

After asking locals where "boar areas" were I set out every morning, with a camera to see if I could find any. One morning, I managed to spot 2 pigs and spooked them. I saw where they were heading and cut them off through the thick brush. I got within 25 yards and had a stare down with the bigger one for a bit before they meandered off. I got some pictures and figured that Id research Kauai/Niihau hunting when I got home.

I found some , and spoke to hunting outfitters on Kauai  for boar . I, also, learned  a LITTLE about hunting on the Island of Niihau which is privately owned and has a free range  boar/ram package as well as Audad and Eland hunting. I don't know too much about Niihau hunting, but the little that I know sounded interesting. The Niihau hunt includes  11 mile helicopter  transportation from Kauai and back.  I wasn't sure when I'd get back to Kauai so I put hunting there  on my bucket list, but then decided to see about ram and boar hunting on the Big Island. I found an outfitter who hunted various game including boar and rams , which is where I've gotten the rams Nov. 2016 and May 2017, and just haven't gotten my head into doing the boar hunts yet. DSC01519.jpg