Early Antlerless Season (Gun before Bow)

Judoka95

I won't be going out. Ohio starts shortly thereafter for us, so we'll focus on that early season.

I still to this day don't believe how 8F, 8G and 8J get in on it, but 8H is not. I'm happy to a degree, lol, but still....one has to wonder where or how that decision was influenced. 

I hope to get out at least the (4) weekend days.  If possible, I will take one mature doe the first week and another one the second.  

I prefer to let the carcasses age about a week, to get the meat thru rigor-mortis, and I only have room for one in my “deer fridge”.  It will surely be way too warm, for skin-on carcass aging in my insulated garage, in mid-September.  

I am hitting our venison supply hard right now, to make space in the freezer.   I’d like to add (3) mature deer to it over the next year.  Getting two doe out of the way early would allow me to be more selective with my (2) buck tags later.  

I would definitely like to save one of those two buck tags, for the Holiday ML season, which has become my new favorite time to hunt deer.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phade said:

I won't be going out. Ohio starts shortly thereafter for us, so we'll focus on that early season.

I still to this day don't believe how 8F, 8G and 8J get in on it, but 8H is not. I'm happy to a degree, lol, but still....one has to wonder where or how that decision was influenced. 

7J has 38,000 permits for this year but no early season?  Highest in the state - makes no sense. I have a stand in a small spot in 7J and would love to take an early doe and fill the freezer.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phade said:

Very strange about 8H… but that forces me to branch out and hunt new spots, so I guess that’s a good thing. 

20 hours ago, Judoka95 said:

I guess my real question was, who is going out for the early antlerless season???

It's a hard pass for me. On the off chance that I have nothing going on and there's a cool day I might consider it. But this time of the year is so busy and typically so warm that it's not something I'd care to do. I also like to save my doe till gun. A hot doe is better than any food plot and I'm not overrun with them. 

I will reserve judgement for a season or two. I want to see if the bow season becomes a hunt for nocturnal deer that are already in the survival mode that deer get into after the first day of traditional gun seasons. That of course will depend on how many people take advantage of the early gun season and the resulting pressure.

I am also wondering how the mountain bikers and the hikers on the state land will take this ever creeping deer season. Usually they flee the woods when the guns start. I also hope that those non hunters are smart enough to wear the required hunter-orange clothing. I don't believe that the legal requirement of orange (or pink) applies to non hunters.

As to myself, I doubt that I will take advantage of this new season. I do not enjoy feeling that trickle of sweat working its way down the middle of my back, or the whining sound of mosquitos when I am try trying to listen for incoming deer. Also trying to feverishly keep the flies from laying maggot eggs on the gutted deer before I can get it to a cooler of some sort cannot be a lot of fun.

I also am concerned about the heavy full foliage on everything from the ground up. The deer are hard enough to see even after the leaves all come down. The same concern applies to safety issues of not being able to see other hunters, even those wearing blaze orange and that includes the concerns I have of being seen by other hunters with rifles when full foliage is still on the trees and bushes.

I think a lot of these concerns are shared by other hunters or may become their concerns once they have tried a September hunt.

So, like I say, the jury is still out. It is one of those things where we will have to wait and see how it all works out before I can argue for it or against it. Unfortunately once something lke that becomes law, it take an act of God to get rid of it. But we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Im about to be an empty nester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same here,  so if I do manage to fill all (7) tags as I hope to,  I’ll probably be giving most of (4) deer away.  That is, except for the back straps and neck roasts, of those that I process myself.

In this area at least (wmu 9F), filling them tags does a lot more people more good, than not filling them.  

• Like 1

Man I spent a few months last year in FL for work, discovered and fell in love with surf fishing.. love seeing that rod bend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what part of the state you are in but you are always welcome to join… there are a few members here that I fish with

12 hours ago, Chef said:

Not sure what part of the state you are in but you are always welcome to join… there are a few members here that I fish with

I live upstate near Oneida Lake not too close to the coast. I do have a haddock trip planned for next month with some friends off the coast of Mass. I got tore up pretty bad on here a few weeks ago when inquired about eating too much venison... figured I'd get some fish to counter balance lol

not to divert this forum discussion too much but what do you fish for... stripers?

I am really looking forward to getting out there on September 10th.   We ought to be just about out of ground venison by then.  

I got the last of my shotgun zone deer guns sighted in good today, a couple of blinds placed, and shooting lanes trimmed.  

I am going to pull a coon trap that I had in my back corn plot tomorrow, and try to minimize my presence back there, until September 10.  I have been driving back to check that trap every day for the last couple weeks.

D18ED9DE-6D5F-46F3-B860-1A371CC609D6.thumb.jpeg.313215e5163b2f6b38135fbcb6929fda.jpeg

Hopefully, the does will be very well acclimated to the blinds and trimmed shooting lanes by then.  

I just need to decide on what gun to take.  I am leaning towards my T/C Omega 50 cal ML for several reasons: First, I have no intention on trying for a double, even though I have two dmp’s tags.  It will be warm and there is only room for one in my deer fridge.  

Second, the old Redfield wide field 2-7 scope on that ML is much nicer than the new Leupold/Redfield 2-7 on my Marlin 512.   Third, I have at least 4 times as much ammo (bullets, powder, primers) for it and it costs at least 4 times less per shot. Fourth, it kicks a lot less.  Fifth, I am very confident in it, having already killed a deer with it on January 1st of this year.  

The downsides are not having two quick follow-up shots, like I get with my Marlin 512, or four even quicker ones like I get with my Ithaca 37 16 ga or Remington 870 12 ga.  It is also just a smidge more of a pain to clean (I use T7 powder).  Cleaning has got way better, since I started using Traditions foaming bore cleaner and a bore snake.  
9ED44ADB-1868-4AED-AE58-EF96D83B3BF1.thumb.jpeg.8bb13303771db22490808d55498f57d4.jpeg

Just finalized the schedule for a trip down to my buddy's place in 3M for the 17th and 18th. So heck yeah, I'm in! It's also early bear in that wmu so I'll be double dippin'. Pics are from said friend. And for the record I wouldn't shoot the piebald fawn. I'd shoot his momma though . . .

20220820_190613.jpg

20220820_190329.jpg

20220820_190538.jpg

20220818_175327.jpg

vlcsnap-2022-08-18-18h06m53s918.png

vlcsnap-2022-08-18-18h09m16s823.png

• Like 3