Hillary Endorses Poaching Crack Down

Hillary Clinton Joins Fight Against Elephant Poaching

The news comes just a few weeks after President Obama pledged $10 million to slow illegal wildlife trafficking in sub-Saharan Africa

By Amanda Taselaar July 18, 2013

Follow @timenewsfeed

Despite international bans, demand for ivory from elephant tusks has grown so strong that it has devastated elephant populations in Africa. Now former secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, wants to help.

According to the Washington Post, Clinton has met with representatives from many environmental groups and National Geographic to formulate a plan. “She will use her political connections as America’s former secretary of state to enlist other world leaders in the effort to curtail the illegal ivory trade.” Because China buys about 40 percent of the ivory traded globally, she will focus her efforts there, according to the South China Morning Post. Clinton’s move comes just two weeks after President Obama announced new funding to curb elephant poaching: He has earmarked $10 million to combat wildlife trafficking in sub-Saharan Africa.

The African elephant population has dropped from 1.2 million in 1980 to just 420,000 last year. According to the Post, about 30,000 elephants were killed illegally last year, with their tusks selling for as much as $1000 a pound. (The U.S. banned the import of ivory from African elephants in 1989, with the exception of antiques). While all elephants have been devastated, the African forest elephants are particularly at risk. These elephants are smaller than the renowned savannah African elephant and live in more open forest clearings that easily attract poachers. The Wildlife Conservation Society estimated that their population has fallen by about 76 percent in the last decade.

Reuters

A Kenyan wildlife ranger inscribes markings on the 775 elephant tusks, weighing around 1300 kg (2900 pounds), that was seized by the port police at the container terminal destined for Malaysia in the coastal town of Mombasa July 3, 2013. REUTERS/Joseph Okanga (KENYA – Tags: ANIMALS CRIME LAW) – RTX11B58

(MORE: Obama Moves to Fight Wildlife Trafficking in Africa. But the Real Work is in Asia)

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/18/hillary-clinton-joins-fight-against-elephant-poaching/#ixzz2Zsws9yV5

Our her daughter...

Dang.....never thought of that!

I didn't know this til' today;  but the wife of that dude running for NYC mayor who likes to show his junk on the net; Hillary has called her a second daughter and was the aide to go through to get face time with ol' Hil.

Maybe she can be VP.

Edited by Dinsdale

Hillary is a person, that's going places.She did a great job running the Commission on Health Care Reform in this country, under old "MonaBill"  Look at all she did for NY. while she was Senator. Then the record amount of traveling she did as Secertary of State, screwing things up royally abroad. I'm telling ya, she's a lady that gets things done, LOL.

Imagine the presidential democratic choice ....... Miss Hilary or crazy eyes Cuomo. Scary isn't it? And then consider that the Republicans will probably put their usual opposition candidates that no one has ever heard of, or who can't form a complete sentence with their foot stuffed firmly in their mouth. It's a pretty depressing picture isn't it?

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head there Doc. The republican party just can't get with the times. No matter how mad the working man gets at the liberals, the republicans only seem to come up with candidates that want to talk about no abortions and no gay rights.

I will be voting republican no matter who it is, almost guaranteed. But can anyone name me a viable candidate? Hell, the democrats already have two names coming up to take more of my money and give it to the welfare rats. Pretty sad state for the republican party when the voters want a change, and they don't even have names in the hat yet

Imagine the presidential democratic choice ....... Miss Hilary or crazy eyes Cuomo. Scary isn't it? And then consider that the Republicans will probably put their usual opposition candidates that no one has ever heard of, or who can't form a complete sentence with their foot stuffed firmly in their mouth. It's a pretty depressing picture isn't it?

Probably Marc Rubio from Florida. You might remember him sneaking a sip of water when he thought the camera's were off. He looked like a little kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Sorry to say but I don't see a Republican beating Clinton or Cuomo in 2016.

You hit the nail on the head there Doc. The republican party just can't get with the times. No matter how mad the working man gets at the liberals, the republicans only seem to come up with candidates that want to talk about no abortions and no gay rights.

I will be voting republican no matter who it is, almost guaranteed. But can anyone name me a viable candidate? Hell, the democrats already have two names coming up to take more of my money and give it to the welfare rats. Pretty sad state for the republican party when the voters want a change, and they don't even have names in the hat yet

NJ Governor Christie, SD Senator John Thune, and Paul Ryan is my guess who will race in the republican primary. Edited by mike rossi

You might be right regarding Paul Ryan......forgot all about him.

As for Christie.......he didn't want it last year. I believe he just recently had lap band surgery for his weight issues , which could cause concerns for some voters who think he isn't physically fit to be President. Maybe he will run on the Republican ticket in 2016.

You might be right regarding Paul Ryan......forgot all about him.

As for Christie.......he didn't want it last year. I believe he just recently had lap band surgery for his weight issues , which could cause concerns for some voters who think he isn't physically fit to be President. Maybe he will run on the Republican ticket in 2016.

They prefer them to be mentally unfit though... Not that Christie isn't a bit of a showman,(he has a bit of an ego and tries to come off as a tough guy) but he if he ever wanted to give up politics & law the guy could do great as an actor or comedian, check him out on youtube. Even people who dislike his politics cant help but like this guys humor... Last I heard he was in fact thinking about the presidency. John Thune also said he wasn't interested a few years ago... I think Ryan would have had a better chance than Romney, but I don't particularly care for either Ryan or Romney. Then who the heck knows what female candidate they might draw out? Palin isn't likely, but maybe her or another women... This should be an interesting one...

I think Christie would have a legitimate shot in the general election.  But, I don't think he'd survive the Republican primary- anyone he's running against is going to trot out all of the pictures of him with his arm around Obama, and all the party hardliners are gonna vote against him.

I think Christie would have a legitimate shot in the general election.  But, I don't think he'd survive the Republican primary- anyone he's running against is going to trot out all of the pictures of him with his arm around Obama, and all the party hardliners are gonna vote against him.

That's the problem. The far right dictate who wins the primary but the moderate voters from both parties decides who gets elected.
  • Like 1