Traditions Cleaning Question

RangerClay

Three years ago I purchased my first inline muzzleloader, a 50 cal. Traditions Vortex Strikerfire with the stainless ceracote .  I like the gun and it shoots fine but it will not keep from rusting after cleaning.  My previous muzzleloader, a Thompson Center caplock that I shot for over 30 years, I could clean, oil, and put away till next season.  But this Traditions I clean, oil, and put away to find rust in a month.  I have tried several different cleaners and different gun oils but nothing seems to work.  Is there a step I'm missing with these stainless barrels or does Traditions just have a terrible finish on their barrels?  I'm getting really frustrated because like most of you I like my guns in pristine condition.  I have never had anything like this before.  If it helps, I'm shooting Pyrodex and Powerbelts.  Any suggestions?

On 8/13/2022 at 2:46 PM, Daveboone said:

I had the same problem with my t/c inline, with triple seven. Funny, as I never have a problem with my sidelocks with black powder. After cleaning, I would wipe my inline with a good moist rag with Remoil. That took care of the problem.

i've used 777 for forever and truly believe it's garbage when it comes to a corrosion free barrel. clean it soon and you're fine. i've got blackhorn 209 in my safe i haven't fully dived into yet.

Similar issue here. I have a Traditions Vortex Ultralight. I clean it every time I use it, which is usually under 10 shots per year. Just enough to make sure that the zero hasn't moved. I'll check the bore after a few months and, while the bore is shiny, there is always a fine red dust. So I'll run a patch with remoil through just to keep it clean. I don't have ML experience besides this, so just assumed it was normal. Also, I have a goldenrod in my safe to help with humidity.