Venison Collection Endeavor 2010 by Fletch

Fletch

10/28 pm

Got out for an hour behind the house. Got up in one of my closer stands a perminent one. It is more a gun stnd but gives me good view of a couple areas I wanted to see. And I had to get out a few minutes early and I did not want to bug up my hot stand!! Did not see anything.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10/30 am 38

Went down to my buddies prop with my brother. I sat in my ladder stand in the hole. About 7:30 I had a doe and a fawn come in behind me. They were around me for over an hour. The doe would not give me a shot! The fawn was a button buck and he was eating leaves off briars 4 feet from the base of my tree. Man that was a tense hour she was a good doe and was 2 steps from a shooting lane twice. Saw one very big fresh scrape on the way in with a good size track in it.

10/31 am 37

Hunted behind the house for 3 hours with my brother. Put him in a hang on and went down to my hot ladder spot. He had the 1.5 8 point come out behimd him and walk right by him at 10 feet and could not get a good shot. He also saw a doe and fawn earlier a ways out.

I say one unknown back through the oines around 7:20am. At 9:00 I had the same 8 point, he may have 9 I thought I saw a small kicker, come by me and walk exactly in front of me where he did the other day at like 15 feet. Still looking for something not 1.5 years old.

10/31 pm 42

Went over to my buds property with my brother for 2 hours. Sat in my ladder stand in the hole. Saw a doe and two fawns out 100 plus yards. They spooked from something. The wind was changing a lot, Not sure if the winded me or what.

My brother had a small doe by him all night and did not get close enough for a shot. She bedded 45 yards from him he had to shoo her off when he got down from his stand.

11/1 am 34

Spitting snow off and on this morning. I was walking in before light and headed toward my hot ladder stand and could not get to it. I have to cut up through what I call the wood lot before crossing a small stream to get to my spot. Well right before I get to the woodlot I hear antlers clicking and leaves crunchin and twigs snapping. I stop and listen to two bucks spar for the next 15 minutes trying to make a plan. I had my perm stand about 40 yards behind me so it is getting a touch brighter so I decide to back out to that. The bucks finally stop and I hear them headed toward the stand I wanted to get in but I can not head that way now.

I am in the stand and around 8:30am I hear one coming from my left and he cuts the creek about 40 yards below me and heads up and away from me. Looks like my friend the 8 or 9 point 1.5 year old. Then about 20 minutes later I hear something making a racket in the woodlot and hear deer walking. Two bucks come up over out of the woodlot right up acroos the creek and by me at 10 feet or so and up the hill in front of me. The first was what looked like a spike and the second a 6 or 7 both 1.5 year olds so they got the pass. It was a very tempting shot wide open and broadside!! ;D 

Man I need to see an older buck. A couple more days I might have to take one of these young one if they keep tempting me. I know I am out of town 4 days next week and then it is 7 days and bow is over. Ick!

11/1 pm 41

Back out behind the house for 2 hours. Got to the hot stand. Another nice night to hunt. Cold and quiet. About 5:30pm had one coming in from behind left. It is my old buddy the 8 again. He passes at 14 yards broadside and gets a 3rd or 4th pass. About 10 minutes later one comes in from front left it is a new 6 pointer, another 1.5 yr old, he come right in front of me at 10 feet and gets a pass. I am about goin nuts with these close encounters, I have had a bunch in my face close. Thankfully not one has even looked at me twice and I have drawn on a couple.

That is 5 buck sightings today, 4 different bucks and had a shot at all four of them. Where are my does??

11/2 am 28

Out behind the house with my brother this morning. I bumbed at least a couple deer on the way in, that did not help. I saw a lone doe 100 yards out at 7:20am and then at 9:00am my buddy the 8 point came by about 30 yards out. His days are getting numbered! My bro saw none.

11/3 am 28

Brrr cold. Making progress only jumped one on the way in! Saw 3 or 4 around 8:20 going through the pines may have been the triplets but could not see to well. I am gonna lay off this spot for a couple days and hunt another spot.

11/3 pm 51

Well my earlier plan went south. I got waylaid at work and only option I had time for was out back. Just hit my perm stand since it is only a short ways in so as not to disturb mutch. I saw my 8 again just before last legal shooting time. He crossed about 50 yards below me He is one active dude! Best part of the night I had a bald eagle fly right over me what a bird. He was not real big so must have been a young one but super just the same.

Cool Fletch. Love seeing those Eagles. I'm on Rt 17 for almost 4 hrs and I see alot in the western Catskill area. Word of caution about the eight, I would hate to see him do the vanishing act on you, never know at this point when he will lock onto a doe. Good luck!

11/7 am 27

Hunted behind the house for 2.5 hours with my brothers. I had a doe and 2 fawns run past me at 7:30 or so. No idea what they were running from? At 8:20 had the 8 or 9 point come out and swing in back of me going out. I can called him and he did come back across my right side. He was not coming in close though and I had a small lane at 30-32 yards. I decided to take him and drew back and accidently hit my trigger before I got anchored and shot into the ground under him ::) He jumped off and I canned and stopped and turned him and he finally just walked away. Guess subconsciously I did not want him!!!

11/8 am 30

Out back for 2.5 this am. I bumped one going in and I was able to get in stand with out blowin it outa there. I had 2 deer running and chasing around me for 15 minutes before light and I could not see a thing! ??? Also had one walking out to the left of me. Light came and never saw a deer!

My brother did jump a buck runnin with two does yesterday and with the buck I had finally responding to the can and the chasing this am I would say they might just be starting. It should be a good next 10 to 12 days. Too bad i am out of town through Friday! :)

11/13 pm 60

Whew it is warm out! Went down to the hole prop. with bro in law. Sat. 2.5 hours just before dark had a doe run by and a buck not far behind her. Did not get much of a look but he seemed to be a bit bigger buck than I have been seeing. A nice white rack and good sized body. They are definetly starting to chase. The gun opener may be a big one.