ADKHunter73

Hi everyone,

I am just joining the site, I browsed over some forums here in the past, this seems like a good place to chat with fellow hunters and get some good information.  I recently started hunting the Adirondack Mountains(I have been a farm hunter my whole life), it's difficult to pinpoint travel routes, patterns, etc....I know a lot of it has to do with food in the woods, but the woods are so vast, its hard to be on the right ridge at the right time.  Anyone have any experience on big woods hunting?  Are there any little things to look for?  I have a couple trail cams set up and am getting a few good pics, but 99.9% of the time its after dark.  Thanks.

It can be tough up there. It's such a huge area the deer can be anywhere. I hunted Hinkley Res. for 7 years straight and only took 2 bucks out of there. Most days I saw nothing. 

Your best bet is to hunt near what ever food you can find. The little luck I did have, up there, came from  hunting near a cluster of apple trees, that butted up to a meadow that was on  private land.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  -   So what part of the ADK's do you hunt?  I hunt the ADK's also in area 5F and hunting is not the same as hunting downstate where there are lots of fields that provide planted food for the deer.

My suggestion is to get out and scout some areas and get to know the area.  Finding a lake or pond would help because it and all the small streams that feed it provide water which all animals need. You will find deer sign there.  Some of the areas I hunt have very low deer population density BUT you will find large,mature bucks that don't run miles when surprised by the hunters presence.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Anybody interested in a club, we have 1250 acres of leased land and  a camp and bunkhouse on it. Small membership, but carefully chosen to avoid "people problems"....other words, we all get along. It's gotten to the point where I won't hunt state land anymore because I love the camp atmosphere----familiar faces, familiar land, nobody right around the next tree, wear camo without fear of getting shot, mealtime, sharing stories with the others...I started on state land where I grew up downstate and have ended up here....wouldn't have it any other way...North Woods tough but a great challenge...have to experience it to understand why we do it...besides, we have good deer populations (3 miles east of Cranberry Lake) and am successful almost every year....we have 10 guys and consider up to 13.

[email protected]

Edited by pa3190

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CapDistPatriot
      I was waiting for the glass to break on this guy. Cool Video
      https://www.wusa9.com/video/news/nation-now/deer-wont-stop-knocking-on-guys-door/465-b62e3b2d-c05f-4b0b-b658-345dfe1a1242
    • By Padre86
      Anyone here ever tried calling for black bear in the northern zone of NY (mostly referring to Tug Hill and the ADK's)?

I've heard that in certain areas which have similar vegetation and terrain to NY (western Oregon and Washington) calling black bear is a tactic used by some hunters, as traditional spot-and-stalk hunts aren't really feasible and baiting and hounding aren't allowed.

I was thinking of trying some calling this coming fall.  I'd be interested in talking to anyone else who has tried this method.
    • By grampy
      At the Woodlawn Sportsmens Club!  Been waiting for almost two years to become a member! I first went there with my grandson, for his NYS, archery, and then firearms, safety courses. They really did a terrific job giving the courses, and put so much into it. As each instructor was very good, and my grandson loved it there! I was then invited back to do a Deer Search seminar for them. And the turn out was great! Met some really good guy's that were members, who graciously offered to sponsor me.  They have a nice 3-D archery range, as well as elevated shooting platforms. Along with an indoor and outdoor firearms range along with a trap range. And so much more, on a beatiful property.  I'm looking forward to meeting, and sharing with new friends, and possibly becoming a NYS certified safety instructor. I think my grandson is more excited than I am, as he really likes to shoot, and it's much closer than our farm property. So with his busy sports schedule, we can just zip over there, most any time. Most importantly, is that this is an organization, that publicly promotes the safe use of firearms. And in this day, every bit we can do as individuals, helps us all.
    • By stabe710
      Guys,

I make and sell taxidermy pedestals made from a special reclaimed hemlock. This reclaimed wood is very unique showing a lot of grains and knots that give the pedestals a one of a kind look. If anyone is interested in purchasing a pedestal please give me a call or shoot me an email. 
      Thank You,
      Jonathan Stabe
      845 629 1688
      [email protected]

• By Buckstopshere
      Kind of cool, looking back through last fall's archived trail cam shots. Back in November, I got a text from a hunting buddy saying a landowner saw a buck standing in the middle of the road in the sunlight, around 10 am. Obviously, in love. Luckily, I had a trail cam on a zip-tied overhanging branch not far away. So I drove there, pulled the card, and sent a photo of the buck to the landowner. He ID'ed it and said it was the buck...5 point, no brow tines, tips of tines broken from fighting already. That buck hit that scrape no more than 10 minutes after it crossed the road. I never got a photo of the buck before or since. To me it shows as the rut progresses, bucks get the urge to move more and more in the daylight and ...late morning is potentially as good as early morning on the stand when they are on their feet.  
      11.1.16 Buck at zip-tie Rich saw cross road .mov