how many deer

whitetailfreak

not a pissing match,just approximate doesnt have to be exact.about how many deer harvested and how many years hunted.i dont get one every year could at least take a few doe a year but if i have meat still in freezer sometimes ill pass them up.as for bucks when i see shooters which i call older bucks not necessarily big bucks just older ones they are usually out of range for me and i personally let young bucks pass even though the people that hunt the property go by if its brown.just curiosity because i see some guys in here have the answers for every senario and talk how they have deer so close they were licking there toes and amaze me by the answers i read almost think jackie busman of michael wadell are getting in on it.just my opinion.i ve been hunting for quite a few years and learn something new every year.

Back when I was young enough to still remember each deer and each turkey I had killed, I started a little tally on my desk calendar each year to keep track.... Not  for bragging rights... I just thought it would be neat when I was a grey haired old fart to know how many critters of certain species I had taken in my life...Many guys guys my age ( and younger) have taken more..many less.. It  has  less to do with one's skill as a hunter than it does other factors, like time to hunt, quality of your hunting territory, the amount of money you can invest, etc. etc.

All  said, I am now getting to be a grey haired old fart...

According to my records, in 46 years of hunting, I've taken 97 whitetails and 117 turkeys...

Well, I started off hunting in SW PA where the deer population is 2xs that of NY.  You were allowed 1 buck per year, and the counties I hunted were unlimited doe, so long as you were willing to pay the $6 per tag.  In my family there were several farms to hunt.  I hunted another farm where I worked as a kid, and then there were the "urban" deer I hunted around Pittsburgh.  I've been hunting now for a total of 23 years.  In that time I figure I've taken 18 bucks, and as for does... I have no idea.  I'd bet I'm pushing 100.  The most does I took in one year was around 15.  Back when I was a kid and had plenty of time to hunt after school and could hunt all of archery, all of muzzleloader, and all of rifle.  Ah... good times... :)  So, an estimate would be... oh, call it 100 even I guess.  Dunno... maybe less...

I hadn't mentioned Nuisance Permits as I figured i'd get slammed . I got my foot in the door with a farmer a few years ago after I saw him being interviewed on TV News about crop loss due to deer coming from Mendon Ponds Park and Powder Mill Park . We have taken several doe in the past few years . The guy farms a lot of property .

We see a lot of bucks in the fields where we shoot the does but they tend to disappear during bow & gun seasons .