Salmon River

diplomat019

Yes, it was fun times back in the day. Still good I hear. I would always go on a Wed or Thurs morning, never the weekend.

Getting back to advice - as stated earlier by Rob, braid is a good option for your mainline as you can get more and stronger line on your spool and cast farther (20# braid is the diameter of say 5# mono). If you use 20# test braid,use a floro leader of less weight, say 12# or 14# because if you need to break off it will be easier.  You will need to have the tag end for this set up be the leader side as the split shot will just slide too easy off the braid.

If you get hung up,head back upstream in the direction of the hang up to pull loose. Know when to let up on using your rod to pull a snag free to prevent snapping it.  Especially with braid, if you need to pull the line to break loose or break off, take a small piece of a wooden dowel to wrap the line around or it will slice right through your skin.

Also with braid, be sure to take up the slack next to your reel onto the spool immediately after you cast and flip the bail to eliminate line twist and wind knots. You need to pay more attention when using braid.

It was always an adventure. There used to be a lot of snagged up line in some places and sometimes it was a surprise to see a fish jump on the line you got snagged on.

That's all I've got, you'll learn a lot by doing it and figure out what works best for you. Have fun.

• Like 1

If you have a boat, I'd highly recommend going into the estuary and casting crankbaits for salmon. It's much more fun getting them to crush a thunderstick than snagging them in the river surrounded by 100 people. You won't "hook up" as many times as in the river, but you're looking for the aggressive fish that snap at baits. If you've ever pike/muskie fished then imagine a fish 3 times the size smashing a plug. I started out in the river but haven't fished it in 3 years now, the people and the snagging aren't fun to me. I'll resume the river fishing in November when the steelhead are in and the people are out. If you want specifics on where/what to use let me know.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I've been fishing the salmon river for the las 13 years, so I've learned a thing or two up there. I may forget a thing or two, but you're more than welcome to pm me. End of sept is a good time to catch salmon. Some years the main run is later, but there will be fish in the river. 

First you'll want a good pair of waders with either felt bottoms or some type of screw in the boot. Last thing you want is to be swept down river while fishing. I suggest getting a breathable wader since the weather will probably be warmer. 

Id suggest one of you guys to buy a big net, but its not 100% necessary as you can beach or ask someone to net your fish.

Bring a good set of sunglasses. I prefer polarized in order to see the fish resting and coming up river, but its more about protecting your eyes. You will get hit with random split shot from someones line if you fish there enough. I almost knocked a guy out when my split shot recoiled back after a fish popping off.

Buy plenty of split shot and hooks. I use the tin split shot up there and prefer #2, but a lot of people hate them. You wont be able to buy lead split shot in NY. For hooks I used blackird hooks in #2, but mustad is a very popular choice to use up there too. I wouldn't go much bigger than #2 though.

You'll want a 9ft rod or longer. If you fly fish, you'll want a 9wt (8 being the absolute minimum) I fished for years using a cabelas medium action noodle rod, and caught a ton of fish. Now I use a fly rod and would never go back. 

Not gear but learn how to tie a snell knot. It'll increase your hook up ratio big time. Any knot will do though. I also suggest you learn how to tie it standing with gear in your hands. Once you move, your spot is up for grabs and someone will take it. If you're respectful with a group of guys, they may allow you in the rotation of spots that guys will usually do. 

Bring a vest if you can. Not critical, but it'll help big time when you're tying out on the river. 

Bring a good stringer if you can in order to keep fish in the river.

Use maxima chameleon line. Pretty much a standard up there and since its the same color as the water, its pretty good. I used 12 pounds for years with great success, but I use 15 now since switching to a fly rod.  

Learn how to bottom bounce. These fish wont be biting, so you're really trying to floss them. The steelhead will bite, but they will be far and few between when you'll be up there. If you're lucky, you'll hit a run of coho. I've never been able to, but all the videos tell me that I want to one day. Be careful how you lift, you don't want to be hit for snagging. 

For bait I use atlas mike eggs, but since the salmon wont be biting, there's nothing wrong with a bit of sponge. 

Get to the river early if you want to save a spot. Guys usually get there when its dark to capitalize on the first light run and to save a spot.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought it was kinda dumb to have to catch a fish in the mouth that isn't eating and is going to die anyway. But I think they felt they had to do something to tame the crazy treble hook snagging.

Will they hit something....yes out of reflex they will on occasion. I was so good at it that I could float it right into the mouth or across the mouth if I could see them. Used to joke with my buddy that he had 3 shots and I was gonna take him.

If your floating a fly they often breathe those in. But many times the line will just catch in the mouth then you hook them.

I've caught some nice browns while salmon fishing that def took the bait.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I never cared for them to eat. It was better smoked but I used to give it all away. 3 -25 #salmon was a lot of fillets. I would have someone ask for salmon and give them like 50 lbs. Lol

Just a blast to fight them. The salmon river is def an experience.

47 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I always thought it was kinda dumb to have to catch a fish in the mouth that isn't eating and is going to die anyway. But I think they felt they had to do something to tame the crazy treble hook snagging.

I need to brush up on my salmon biology. I thought some made the run multiple times but you’re saying that not in this case? The ones in the river are going to spawn and die? To reach 25lbs the fish must’ve lived a few years I imagine. So they only make the run on their final year?

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

13 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I need to brush up on my salmon biology. I thought some made the run multiple times but you’re saying that not in this case? The ones in the river are going to spawn and die? To reach 25lbs the fish must’ve lived a few years I imagine. So they only make the run on their final year?

Atlantic salmon can survive to spawn more than one time.

Chinooks, and the other Pacific strains die after spawning.

• Like 1

So the salmon aren’t eating at this stage? How’s flossing different than snagging?

Will they hit something....yes out of reflex they will on occasion. I was so good at it that I could float it right into the mouth or across the mouth if I could see them. Used to joke with my buddy that he had 3 shots and I was gonna take him.

If your floating a fly they often breathe those in. But many times the line will just catch in the mouth then you hook them.

I've caught some nice browns while salmon fishing that def took the bait.

It isn't, it's the legal form of snagging...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Bring back J—Plugs and 40lb Mono and I’ll make my return and Wade in shorts and sneakers! Mud shark Mania in Pooooolaski!

c47584c2fdd7ba5a197bac3d13069e37.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

The pacific run salmon live in the lake for 3 years usually. Some small amount can be 2 or 4 years old. The Atlantic salmon return to the lake. Also huge rainbows and brown in there when the water cools down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:
Real IDs allow entry into Canada without passport right? 

lol I meant valid. Idk what real Id is.

EDIT - I just googled and CT says if you have gold star top right corner its a "Real ID"? So I guess I do have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by BizCT
  • Haha 1