Goals for the 2022 Season

Splitear

It’s the time of year that I start thinking about what my goals are for this years hunting season. The past year has blessed me with a new baby girl, a new energy for youth development work after Covid, and just an overall desire to enjoy all of the great things that I have available in my life. So, here’s what I hope to accomplish in the 2022 hunting season…

1. I am taking one of my 4-H members hunting for the first time next month. He just got his first hunting license, and we are meeting next week to settle on a gun and learn some outdoor skills. This year I’m going to take him squirrel hunting, and I am confident I can get him on a few bushy tails next month. Then, I hope to have him come along with me on a few deer hunts in November. I’ll have him help me with cameras, scouting and placing a ground blind. 
2. I was gifted an old Winchester Model 12 dating to 1913 (4 digit serial). I got it cleaned up as well as I can, and finally found some 2 1/2” 20 gauge shells online, which arrived earlier this week. I would like to kill a mess of squirrels with this old gun this season. 
3. I would like to expand my squirrel cooking experience. Growing up, we only fried the young squirrels and used the old ones for chowder. I’ve been looking at other recipes, and would like to expand my menu. 
4. I would like to finally kill a deer with a muzzleloader. I’ve bagged deer with every other legal tool, but have never taken one with a muzzleloader. My T/C New Englander is going to get a good amount of time in the field this November. 
5. Take a deer with a bow and a gun. It’s been years since I’ve had a multi-deer year (my highest was 11 in one season back in Illinois). We’ve been tearing through last years harvest, and I’d like to have 2 in the freezer this year. I’m going to do my best to take one during archery, and one during gun season.

I think that covers what I would really like to accomplish this year. Nothing too lofty, and regardless of what happens, I’ll just be happy to get some time in the outdoors and share that experience with the next generation.

What are you goals for 2022?

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 9

One deer for the freezer. And always hope it plays out to get two with the second being a decent buck. I like to get an early doe then play for the buck the rest of the season.

A deer in the freezer for my hunting buddy for his family.

Then a new adventure into some duck hunting ... And with this adventure one duck will be considered a win. Lol. The ponds can't be all froze over come December or this is out the window.

And to enjoy the time in the stand after all the hard work this spring and summer.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We're hunting three states again this year. 2021 was our toughest in terms of encounters. We passed several 3.5 yo and the 4.5+ stayed just outside of bow range for me all year. My partner tied into a 4.5+ in MO but the deer survived with a brisket wound. Luckily I got one buck in MO and was happy with it despite it being the smallest rack I've taken in years on purpose (put down a 2.5 injured buck in 2020). By far our least productive season ever, despite having fun and having a material amount of mature buck encounters.

So, I think we're looking to be more successful in short and again have fun. Second season on our Ohio ground so we know it well, and our Missouri ground is mostly set up w/stands already to use right away. 

• Like 3

Generally unchanged from past few years, although I will admit to being more ambitious with higher hopes having more time on a new property and some food plots and lots of off season work that I hope pays off.

1. Always at the top of my list is to enjoy the time away from a hectic life. Enjoy my woods therapy and not to make it feel like a chore.

2. At least 2 hunts with my oldest 2 boys, even if we don't see a bit of brown.

3. Put at least 2 deer in the freezer with a goal of 3 (2 bucks and a doe or 2 does and a buck, it all works out).

4. A 2.5 or better bow buck, preferably a 3.5 but I wont eat tag soup if a nice 2.5 gives me a shot.

• Like 2

It’s mostly about the meat for me.  I would like to put (3) mature deer in our freezer this year.  We used to go thru (4), but my wife and I will be empty nesters after Aug 26.  

I would be very thankful, if the first two were early antlerless gun-season does, killed between September 10 and September 18.  

Most years, I look for antlered bucks with at least (3) points on a side.  It has been more than 10 years, since I “settled” for less.  If I can manage even one of those early does, then I will be upping that to at least (4) points on a side.

I would make an exception for a buck with less points, if I could clearly tell it was a 3.5 yr old or older (not sure if I have ever killed one older than that).  

Both of my deer hunting spots in the Southern zone, and my spot in the Northern zone, have current deer populations that are considerably above optimum.  For that reason, combined with my enjoyment of deer hunting,  I will not stop after killing those first (3).  

There are lots of folks out there who really appreciate any venison that I can give them.  I have a next-door neighbor, who has more than a half dozen kids, and has been out of work almost a year, due to illness.  They love venison.  I will be hunting until all (7) of my tags are filled, or 1/2 hour past sunset on January 1, 2023, whichever comes first.   

• Like 3

1. To have a fun filled season with family and friends.

2. Get my wife her first buck. 

3. Get my stepson the best of opportunities possible for another wall worthy buck, and teach him at the same time how to scout and pattern these creatures 

4. Get out a few more time than last year. 

5. Smash some night time coyotes! 

(that being said) anyone in finger lakes region wanting coyotes shot with some open ground to scan, id gladly try to help you out. :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chef said:

I have one goal for this season and he is it… this will be the 3rd year after him

f7bd78cecb182016e9c787239bccf7a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any pics of him yet this year?  I have one I have had on cam for 2 years now and havent got a pic of him yet (Big Sixy).  Hoping hes around for this season. 

CSS '21 4.JPG

• Like 1

I have a few goals this year

1. Enjoy every minute in the outdoors and have fun- There's nothing better than hunting and fishing, so enjoying every second is of the utmost important

2. Spend as much time hunting and fishing with friends and family as I can. I may be giving up hunting some better spots in order to hunt with friends, but the experience is well worth it! 

3. Take my dog out hunting as much as I can. There's nothing she loves more than going hunting and I love hunting with her too, so its a no brainer

4. Try to get a nice buck with my bow. Always a goal of mine every year, but the importance is slipping down the list.

5. Get my first grouse over my dog. Never got a grouse before, but I wont hunt for them if its not over my dog

6. Get a mallard duck. I shoot so many black ducks and wood ducks, but always whiff on mallards. 

7. Get a bear this year

• Like 2

Two deer with the bow,maybe three. Last year I got one small doe with the bow and one average one with the gun. Both were opportunistic,the first I saw when I drove home to pick up something and the 2nd I saw when I went to the barn to feed the horses. 

I really would like to get so.e deer in the woods this year,haha

• Like 1