Savage/Nikon Package

Five Seasons

• 1 month later...

my wife bought me the Savage .308 last year, got me the cheap model without the scope but i threw on a Tasco 3x9 and used it last year for deer season in NY and PA. Had a hell of a time finding the right ammo for the gun as it can be very finiky to what it likes to shoot. I found 150 grain Remington rounds worked the best. I tried the 180 gr. Winchester and had no luck. Went through 2 boxes of shells and it just never wanted to stay true. Once i dropped down to the 150 gr. I was dead nuts on 4 out of 5 shots at 125 yards. I blew the front leg off a deer running a death sprint across a corn field during a drive i was sitting on last year. she was about 200 yards out. too bad the guy that found her shot her in the a** with a 300 weatherby mag and wasted all the meat.. needless to say i wont be hunting with them guys again.lol def a great gun tho.

for an over the counter "stock" rifle they are the most accurate gun out there IMO, I have a model 11 in a 243 and its a 400 yard gun and iv shot to 500 at steel plates, 2 furthest kills were 312 yard headshot on a walking coyote and 380 yards on a woodchuck, accu trigger takes some getting used to when shooting at live targets , there deadly, Remington 700's are the best deer gun iv come across, take a beating and still e reliable, good luck,

my wife bought me the Savage .308 last year, got me the cheap model without the scope but i threw on a Tasco 3x9 and used it last year for deer season in NY and PA. Had a hell of a time finding the right ammo for the gun as it can be very finiky to what it likes to shoot. I found 150 grain Remington rounds worked the best. I tried the 180 gr. Winchester and had no luck. Went through 2 boxes of shells and it just never wanted to stay true. Once i dropped down to the 150 gr. I was dead nuts on 4 out of 5 shots at 125 yards. I blew the front leg off a deer running a death sprint across a corn field during a drive i was sitting on last year. she was about 200 yards out. too bad the guy that found her shot her in the a** with a 300 weatherby mag and wasted all the meat.. needless to say i wont be hunting with them guys again.lol def a great gun tho.

you shot at a sprinting deer at 200 yards?

I've got a savage m-111 in 30-06 synthetic stock combo with a bushnell scope on it shootin 150 gr fushion.... Love it!!! Past three years I've taken it outa the case to check zero before season and it hasn't changed a bit... Longest kill with it was a 175 lb boar hog in Florida at 325 ish ... Past couple trips to gander I've seen 308 on the shelf just as often as 30-06 is available .... And when do we ever buy a new toy when we've "got the money", lol... Never works out that way for me but hey, a man needs his toys!!!!

I'm sorry, please clarify for me what typical gun hunter is?

drives, shooting at running deer, etc. I'm pretty sure you knew that though, and you're just egging me on so you can go on a rant about how ethical you are and you're not the guy pumping gas in his hunting gear on Saturday afternoon all set to meet up with his buddies and push a block of woods. And that's great if you're not that kind of hunter, but they're out there.

or perhaps you're condoning shooting at running deer at 200 yards?

Edited by Belo

drives, shooting at running deer, etc. I'm pretty sure you knew that though, and you're just egging me on so you can go on a rant about how ethical you are and you're not the guy pumping gas in his hunting gear on Saturday afternoon all set to meet up with his buddies and push a block of woods. And that's great if you're not that kind of hunter, but they're out there.

or perhaps you're condoning shooting at running deer at 200 yards?

Although I don't agree with the unethical shooting displayed on this thread, no one is egging you on, you made a blanket statement that displayed your distaste with gun hunters. He probably just wanted to clarify the meaning of that statement before anyone jumped to conclusions. Now you're just backtracking realizing what a fool you made of yourself.

Lets not even bring up you and ethics in the same sentence, I have a few references I'd not like to have to dig up. I'm sure you know which ones.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

200 yards running ? That's a chip shot, IV personally seen multiple coyotes shot at 3-353-360-480 yards full out bookin it through fields, only done it once myself as there hard to hit usually keep shootin and ya can compensate, , dont be a hater on gun hunters just because you can't pull off the shot or are afraid to , typical douchebag

well let me ask the guys down on running shots a question. You have a deer standing at your self imposed renge limit, what ever that is. Lets say you are practiced and confident to 100.200 or 300 yards. have a great steady rest and feel great about putting the deer in the cross hairs. You shoot and the deer takes off running. What is your next move?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

well let me ask the guys down on running shots a question. You have a deer standing at your self imposed renge limit, what ever that is. Lets say you are practiced and confident to 100.200 or 300 yards. have a great steady rest and feel great about putting the deer in the cross hairs. You shoot and the deer takes off running. What is your next move?

I know, I know, they figure they missed and keep hunting  seen it to many times

me on the other hand, I have no problem shooting running deer

however

with all the 20 yard broadside standing still .. wounded deer I read about on here...they probably should figure out how to kill one sleeping, and move up from there .....

Once a deer is hit imo, there is no unethical shot. Unsafe shots? Yes...unethical...No.

If I think I hit it, I'm plugging away until I hear click click click click click click...click click click...lol.

That would be after the first shot on your H&H.  lol

I would probably forget to pull the bolt again before it was gone.

Once a deer is hit imo, there is no unethical shot. Unsafe shots? Yes...unethical...No.

If I think I hit it, I'm plugging away until I hear click click click click click click...click click click...lol.

That was kind of where I was going but I have seen so many deer take off and show no or very little sign of being hit. Do you hold off on the second shot until you see a stumble? Is it only ethical to take that second shot if you "know" the first one connected? what if you did miss the standing shot? If that is the only etical shot to take so you aren't a slob hunter then why on earth go out in thewoods with anythig other than a single shot? I guess so when there is a group of really deaf deer that come in you can get standing shots on a few of them....lol

(the term "you" was not directed at you Phade it was in general)

200 yards running ? That's a chip shot, IV personally seen multiple coyotes shot at 3-353-360-480 yards full out bookin it through fields, only done it once myself as there hard to hit usually keep shootin and ya can compensate, , dont be a hater on gun hunters just because you can't pull off the shot or are afraid to , typical douchebag

Ill call you out on your bull , you saw a coyote shot at 480 yards while running full speed ? I would love to hear more .