Hunting vacation

Swamp_bucks

Anyone put in for their time off yet for deer season?

I took the first day off just because I can’t wait all year and miss the first day.  Then I’m hoping to take from October 26th-November 8/9th, then from november 13-November 30.   Fortunate enough to have 3.5 weeks left going into the fall with no plans but to hunt.  We will see if it gets approved when I meet with my boss next week about it.  But I’m sure I’ll get called in or asked to pick up a shift in those days which as long as the weather isn’t good I probably will. 

• Like 2

I aim to use about 11 vacation days for hunting this year.  That will include Monday thru Friday of early ML week, up in the northern zone,  The Friday closest to Veteran’s day, for southern zone crossbow hunting,  a Friday for the late northern zone ML weekend (if I still have a buck tag), the last Monday of Southern zone Late ML season (if I still have a buck tag), and (3) days during the Holiday ML season (I will save at least one dmp tag for that).  

I am planning on being more selective than usual with my buck tags (holding out for 3.5 year olds, or a minimum of (4) points on a side), so the odds of me holding on to at least one buck tag till the end, and using all 11 of those days,  are pretty good.

That also depends somewhat on my being able to fill at least one dmp tag, during the early southern zone gun season.  If I can’t do that, I will probably revert to my usual “at least 3 on a side” rule for filling my buck tags.  We need at least (2) average sized deer in the freezer for basic survival, but I hope to fill all (7) tags.  

I get (20) vacation days all together, but the other (9) are used for summer vacation and taking our girls to college and bringing them home.  

My “hunting” vacations, up north, also include lots of fishing in October, and helping the in-laws get their place ready for winter.  We also go up there for Thanksgiving weekend, when I have a couple paid Holidays, in addition to the two of those that I get to hunt at home down south, during the new Holiday ML season.

For me, there is no better day to hunt than a weekday, when I get paid from work, but don’t need to use a vacation day.  That is why the new Holiday season is now my favorite deer hunting time, along with the fact that I should have plenty of deer around home, thanks to decent looking corn, turnip, wheat, and clover plots.  

I use to like Veteran’s day weekend, peak-rut, crossbow time the best, but those work —paid hunting weekdays in the snow, near the corn and the turnips now trump that. 

I take the week of NT muzzleloading season every year. It is my favorite weather, and even if I am not hunting, I could be fishing (like I am the first three days this year), riding my HD, etc.

I also take the last week of NT off every year...the week after thanksgiving. I always have my best luck then. Not a lot of people in the woods, and there is usually snow. I will also likely be up to the camp for a long week end Veterans Day week end. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...