Too early to set up my ground blind ?

luberhill

11 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

@Biz and myself never take ours down......as long as they survive the winter your good to go.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Yea I’d have to put a post under the center of the roof or I’m sure the snow would crush it.

I have 2.. one is an Ameristep doghouse , the other is a Rhino..

The rhino doesn’t have the ties on the side to tie brush and sticks to it ..

I only use them when the weather is real crappy 

40962637-B02B-4562-A4C8-0A95B4C2B9C9.jpeg

31 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yea I’d have to put a post under the center of the roof or I’m sure the snow would crush it.

I have 2.. one is an Ameristep doghouse , the other is a Rhino..

The rhino doesn’t have the ties on the side to tie brush and sticks to it ..

I only use them when the weather is real crappy 

40962637-B02B-4562-A4C8-0A95B4C2B9C9.jpeg

I have one just like that, and I am going to set it up and stake it down next week.  I want to give the deer a couple weeks to get used to it, prior to the September 10th opener of shotgun antlerless deer season, here in wmu 9F.  

I got mine at Aldis for $ 29, about (5) years ago.  I killed a monster bb (35” chest girth) out of it the first year with my crossbow, so it has already paid for itself in tender meat.  

A week later, I suffered a brown recluse spider bite on my hand, while I was hunting in it, so I didn’t hunt much out of it after that.

0ne of the poles got busted by the snow load later that first winter.  I replaced that broken pole with one from an old tent that I had, and I used it on a few rainy days up in the nz early ML week, the last couple years.  No action up there from it yet, but I’ll probably try again this year if it’s rainy.  

I need to pick up some shooting sticks first (no good gun rest in those), but I hope I can get a mature doe out of it, during this year’s early September shotgun antlerless season.  

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have one just like that, and I am going to set it up and stake it down next week.  I want to give the deer a couple weeks to get used to it, prior to the September 10th opener of shotgun antlerless deer season, here in wmu 9F.  

I got mine at Aldis for $ 29, about (5) years ago.  I killed a monster bb (35” chest girth) out of it the first year with my crossbow, so it has already paid for itself in tender meat.  

A week later, I suffered a brown recluse spider bite on my hand, while I was hunting in it, so I didn’t hunt much out of it after that.

0ne of the poles got busted by the snow load later that first winter.  I replaced that broken pole with one from an old tent that I had, and I used it on a few rainy days up in the nz early ML week, the last couple years.  No action up there from it yet, but I’ll probably try again this year if it’s rainy.  

I need to pick up some shooting sticks first (no good gun rest in those), but I hope I can get a mature doe out of it, during this year’s early September shotgun antlerless season.  

I didn’t even know those spiders were present in NY state ?

Im in the fingerlakes region and have never seen or heard of them here.

Last year we had a heavy snow here while mine was still up but it didn’t seem to bother it much

16 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I didn’t even know those spiders were present in NY state ?

Im in the fingerlakes region and have never seen or heard of them here.

Last year we had a heavy snow here while mine was still up but it didn’t seem to bother it much

I have a good supply of spare poles, leftover from an old 10-man dome tent that I had .  It used two different sizes poles.  I was able to modify the smaller ones, to use in the $ 29 Aldis pop/up. It’s still a little big diameter, to fit in the pop-up’s holding pocket easily, but I can make it work.  

The canvas of my old 10-man tent flew away somewhere around Watertown, on Highway 81.  I saw it starting to lift up out of my boat, and I put the hammer down.  I really hated that tent, and the sight of it billowing out and flying across a valley in my rear view mirror, was most welcome.  

• Confused 1

I'll be setting one up this weekend in Ohio. It's a cheap hub blind on clearance and I'll be setting it up with the intent of leaving it up through hunting season. It'll be in timber so I hope that once staked and tied down it'll be fine. As snow falls, I'll add the PVC pipe to support the roof. If it breaks, ah well. Really looking for it to serve as a midday break spot for lunch or a nap, or a place to get out of the rain/elements a bit, and still be in the action. 

• Like 1

I have a turkey blind still up that I figured I'd leave for the deer season. If you have a spot like mine where it's very well protected from stronger winds and rain I think it's never too early. The only reason I'd wait is for spots that are susceptible to strong winds and wear and tear. I have one in the orchard that blew away twice last year lol. 

I also don't understand why some guys put there's out the week before gun either. that's too late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diplomat019 said:

Is that yours?  I’ve been thinking about doing something like that. Get me a couple old pallets and put them together. Maybe draping some camo burlap or just stacking branches and leaves on it.

No .... but a couple years ago I dragged a couple Pallet's into the woods and made a triangle out of them , topped them with branches around July and just left them be . Used them during hunting season !  I did it in July to let the local population get used to it . Worked well !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

No .... but a couple years ago I dragged a couple Pallet's into the woods and made a triangle out of them , topped them with branches around July and just left them be . Used them during hunting season !  I did it in July to let the local population get used to it . Worked well !

I kinda have this vision of bringing a couple pallets in the woods. Getting some type of brackets and making a nice big blinds where I can put a chair in there and be able to move around a little bit without being noticed. Maybe have space for another person or so as well.

side note.  I got a 4s dmp.  How bout you?

• Like 1

Just now, diplomat019 said:

I kinda have this vision of bringing a couple pallets in the woods. Getting some type of brackets and making a nice big blinds where I can put a chair in there and be able to move around a little bit without being noticed. Maybe have space for another person or so as well.

side note.  I got a 4s dmp.  How bout you?

4H and 4B !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I like that pallet fort idea, especially if you can bring them in via a quad or whatever. Puta  plywood roof on and you're good to go!

Ideally id like something like that.  Build a ground fort with maybe 6-8 pallets.   Then screw posts off the corners and lay a plywood roof on top.