DEC Announces Habitat Management Workshop for Private Landowners

Learn Tips on How to Manage your Land to Benefit Wildlife

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will conduct its first Habitat Management Workshop for private landowners on Saturday, August 24, 2013, at the Hanging Bog Wildlife Management Area in New Hudson, Allegany County. The workshop will feature presentations from biologists and a brief field trip to help private landowners learn how to manage their property in a way that benefits wildlife.

Over the years as our forests continue to mature, there has been a drastic decrease in shrubland habitat in New York," said DEC Regional Land Manager Emilio Rende. "Many species of wildlife rely on this type of young forest habitat for food, cover and breeding areas. Since much of the land in New York is privately owned, private landowners have become primary stewards of our wildlife and woodlands and can play an important role in helping to maintain critical wildlife habitat."

Local private landowners are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity to learn property management strategies that benefit wildlife and various programs available to help. To register, please contact Emilio Rende at 716-372-0645 or at via email.

The workshop is co-sponsored by the New York State Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF), the Ruffed Grouse Society and the Quality Deer Management Association. Space is limited to 30 participants, so please register soon. There is a registration fee of $10, which includes refreshments and lunch. Please make checks payable to the New York State Chapter of the NWTF. The deadline for registration is Friday, August 16th.

If this was held for region 6/7 I'd probably attend. Distinct habitat differences between 9 & 6, wonder if they would adjust for that.

[email protected] email contact Emilio Rende )

The climate, soils & topography differ, but the needs & biology of wild turkeys and ruffed grouse doesn't, so I think the same fundamentals apply throughout a species range. For example the soils in one region might support oak and in another aspen. But the practice of maintaining uneven, but young forest, for ruffed grouse doesn't change whether its oak or aspen... It might get a little trickier if you are talking Merriams wild turkeys Verses Eastern wild turkey, were the same species split into distinct races to occupy different habitats 1,000 miles apart, but statewide the same basic principles apply. Contact your favorite conservation organization and ask them to set up a seminar in your area.

Good work shop focused on 2nd and 3rd stage successional forests. visited multiple clear cuts in different stages of regrowth. the look of horror on some people s faces at new cut with 10"tops and slashing everwhere was priceless, when asked what do youdo with the tops the answer was always leave them!!! when you see the benefit they provide 5/10/20/25/30 years down the road it will amaze you. and yes info was given out and ny does offer free accessments as do other states, and some financial help is available