Fast Eddie's Fables 2010

fasteddie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to South Bristol this morning and hunted with my oldest son . Debated on whether to use the treestand or Doghouse Blind . Used the ladderstand . There were 3 doe eating near the tent blind . One of them was right next to it . The blind is about 40 yards from the treestand . Anyway , I saw 5 doe , 2 doe fawns , 2 racoons and had a hawk landed on a branch 20' from me .

One of the doe fawns was eating acorns 5 yards from where I was sitting .

We went up to our vehicles around 11 am . My son had seen several doe and two 8 pointers and said the bucks were beyond his range with his recurve . He was going to haed to his property in Italy Valley to hunt with my youngest son for a couple days .

I had planned to hunt the less steep side of the property this afternoon but had an intestinal problem and came home . My stomach was way off and I didn't want an accidental discharge !

Went back to South Bristol this am (Monday) . Saw 5 doe on Walworth-Palmyra Road and a 6 point standing in the road on Route 28 1/2 mile north of Rt 96 . Had to almost stop for the buck to get out of the road .

Spooked a few deer while walking down the trail to the stand . Saw 2 doe and 2 fawns between 6:55 and 7:15 . One of the fawns was munching acorns about 5 yards from my stand . Went for a slow walk at 10 am and saw nothing . Sat in the tent blind for an hour and then went to my vehicle to get some coffe and a couple of granoloa bars . Walked down and sat in a stand on the south side of the gulley antil 4 pm . Saw some scrapes but no rubs . Saw a fox and e turkeys .

Had a real crappy day . I was in my stand in Groveland at 6:25 am . Heard a loud banging noise about 8:30 and saw a 4 point crossing through the woods quickly . Heard more noise . Turned around and saw 3 trucks with trailers driving in the field behind me . They were cutting up and loading scrap metal from old farm equipment that had been auctioned off . The hunt was ruined so I left and visited with my mother .

Since I was in the area , I stopped down and visited with Heatmizzer .

Went down to a stand in Geneseo and sat from 2-6 pm . Didn't see a thing !  ???  Got down and looked toward the south end of the field and saw 3 deer . I stepped into the laneway but the leaves were noisy so I crossed into the adjacent field where the soybeans had been removed . It was a quieter walk . There was a buck standing across that field at least 200 yards away . If I had a crossbow , I could have shot him .  :;)  He stood there and watched me as i continued up the field . When I got to the gate at the Laneway , I nocked an arrow . I took about 5 slow steps . One of the fawns apparently spotted me and bolted and all 3 took off . So much for bow hunting !

I took pics with the bino cam but the subjects were too far away .

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/parker-bows/?action=view&current=10-20-10Sharyns.mp4

Saw the tail end of a doe around 2:30 in a Geneseo stand . About 5:30 a doe and her two fawns crossed the field about 200 yards away . Then at about 5:50 a doe and her fawns came across the adjacent field and were checking out my 2D decoy . They blew at it , ran and came back but beyong shooting range . At almost 6:15 , I saw 3 more doe and a buck in the adjacent field . In total I saw 1 buck and 11 anterless deer . All but one was between 5:30 and 6:15 .......... Couldn't find my night vision goggles !  ::D ... ::) ... ::)

Climbed up in a stand in Pittsford and was settled in at 6:20 am . Sat there until 9:30 and never saw a deer . I did see a red fox . I was on West Bloomfield Rd south of Thornell . Left there and dropped some stuff off at my son's house in Honeoye Falls and then went to the DEC office in Avon . Went to Geneseo and got something to eat .

Went to my sister in law's property on Lima Rd and was situated by 3:00 . Around 4 pm , I saw a deer way across the field . I filmed him . IT was a small buck and looked like he had a rack on one side . He milled around a layed down at the edge of the field for about 20 minutes . Around 5 pm he got up and left . My sister in law called me at 6 and said a front was forecasted to be coming in fast and there was going to be high winds so I might want to leave . I got down and saw 2 deer in the laneway . I walked down along the edge of the field to see if I could get a shot . Got about 150 yards , heard a deer blow and they were gone . Got into the laneway and saw 3 doe in the adjacent field but it was too dark to bother with them .

Took some video of the buck that I have to upload yet .

Drove to Groveland this am and was in my stand by 6:15 . Enough moonlight where I didn't need to use a light . Got strapped in , sat back and relaxed . At 7:45 a buck has heading North in the woods about 70 yards away . The wind was blowing from the South . 15 minutes later , he headed back the way he had come from . It was a spike but he was a big bodied deer . Weird ! Around 8:45 a red fox went by my stand . I got down from the stand at 10:30 and walked a bit . Grabbed my gear and walked up to my mother's house .

Had some coffee and lunch , chatted and took a nap .

Went back to the stand at 2:30 and stayed until 5:30 . Saw NOTHING ! It was quite windy and the treestand was rocking . I had checked things out to make sure there weren't any "widow makers" . I should have taken some Dramamine for motion sickness ! The wind made it pretty nippy .

Went to South Bristol this am and met my youngest son there . I walked him down to the stand that I normally use because he didn't know where the other stand was and then i headed forthe other stand . It was 29 degrees at 6:30 am . Just past 7:30 a 5 point came in behind me at about 5 yards . I was debating whether or not to take a shot and my hand was so cold I couldn't close the jaws on my release . Later on I saw a spike as well as 8 does between 7:45 and 10:00 .

Somewhere around 8:30 I heard a noise and figured my son had taken a shot . Right after that 2 doe hauled butt through the brush behind me . Almost 1/2 hour later two more doe came down but there was too much brush to get a shot at all . At 11:30 I met with my son . He had shot a button buck from my stand and it wasn't hard to track . It went about 10 feet and dropped . His 810 grain arrows have some serious knock down power . I suggested that he go up to his truck and drive to the bottom and I would drag his deer downhill and meet him . That worked out pretty good . He took me up to where I was parked . Had some coffee and he headed for home to process his deer . He said that if I got in a bind to call and he would come back .

Got in a stand on the opposite side of the gulley by 1:30 and stayed until 5:15 . I saw a 4 point , 8 doe and 3 not sures . I had a doe fawn come up the trail at about 15 yards . She looked pretty small ! Give her another year . It was a beautiful afternoon ! Someone was hunting the adjacent property  and 4 doe came crashing through the small gulley south of me . Although I didn't get a shot , it was a great day !

Saw a bunch of deer feeding in the fields on the way home . I left South Bristol around 5:45 . I didn't want to hit one before dark and have to drive back down there in the am . There are some gulleys and nasty thickets . It's bad enough tracking during the daytime let alone at night .

Another crappola day . On the way to south Bristol I had 2 doe cross the road in front of me about 5 miles from my destination . I was putting my hunting clothes on when my son showed up . He went to the north side of the gulley and I went to the south side . It was ccccccccold out . Was in the stand by 6 am and finally got down at 10:30 . Didn't see a thing and neither did my son .

My son was having a problem with the outlet in his garage that the freezer and fridge were plugged into . I drove 42 miles home to get my electrical test tools , etc and drove 40 miles to my son's house . After a couple hours , I finally got it working again . Hunting can wait another day .

No deer , no fox , no racoons and just a few squirrels , I know in the past , during the rut , I would see does in open fields feeding during the daytime and staying clear of the bucks when they weren'r ready . NOTHING !

Went to Pittsford this am and met up with my youngest son . We sat in stands about 400 yards apart . I was situated in my stand by 5:45 . Stayed until 9:30 and never saw anything other than a red fox . Hadn't seen anything there in two outings .

I headed for Geneseo . Got something to eat and went to my sister in law's property on Lima road . We were standing behind her house and watched 3 small doe moving through the brush on the adjacent property , jump the fence and run across her pasture lot . I set up my Hub Blind in some brush along the fence-line and put some brush in front of it . Sat there all afternoon . At 5 pm , a doe came out of the small gulley and looked my way . She knew something was wrong and walked across the field at about 70 yards . Then she stood behind my SIL's house and stared for a few minutes . Busted ! I tried to convince my SIL to let me put a ladderstand up along the fenceline but that was a "No" ..... bummer