Fast Eddie's Fables 2010

fasteddie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in my stand in Geneseo by 5:45 today . Needless to say , it was a bit chilly . I could see almost 500 yards to the East and over 300 yards to the West . I sat there until 10 am and never saw a thing . Did a walk-about through the overgrown field and woods . Both were a bit swampy as the land doesn't drain and the water just laus there . When the folks ride their horses on the mowed trails , it makes the going quite rough . Hell , if I had seen a deer up across the neighbor's horse pasture lot I would have been happy ........ but absolutely nothing ! alt=screw uhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/pissed.gif[/img].alt=screw uhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/pissed.gif[/img]..alt=screw uhttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/pissed.gif[/img]

Well , i was in the stand in South Bristol by 5:30 . It was a bit chilly ( 28 degrees ) and the leaves were crispy . I had put out some "Love Potion #9" which didn't do a anything to entice a buck . Was getting bored until about 9 am when a buck showed up after I had been on the grunt tube for about 10 minutes . He was about 80 yards downhill from me and really didn't look my way when I used the Grunt Tube or the Doe in Heat Bleat . He took his sweet ole time , walked down into the gulley and started up the other side . I hit the tube again and he appeared to be ingoring my calls . I started to video tape him and he headed back to my side . He crossed the hill about 50 - 55 yards below where I was and went into the smaller gulley south of me and disappeared .

Around 10 am ,I had to remove my harness and take my jacket off as I was roasting . At 11 . I called my son and we scouted the area for possible spots for gun season . I may go back down to South Bristol Manday with my oldest son .

Here is the buck I saw . It was an 8 point .......

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/parker-bows/New%20Album/New%20Album/?action=view&current=8PointatWoodys11-13-10.mp4

Went back down to South Bristol this am . Got goose bumps when I saw the sign for Dugway Road . Saw a buck by the side of the road near Hicks road and saw a doe as I made my turn down the drive to park . Those are the only two deer I saw all morning . I had to remove my blind as the property owner doesn't want us hunting from the ground during gun season . He's the owner so we don't argue . Checked out the shooting lanes for gun season . As far as we know , there will be 2 - 3 hunters on the adjacent property during gun season .

Wednesday looks like a crappy day so my youngest son and I may try Pittsford in the afternoon . It looks like rain in the am but clearing in the afternoon . Can't give up yet .

My youngest son and I are going to hunt in Pittsford tomorrow afternoon . According to AccuWeather , the rain should be letting up by 1 pm . But ............ I heard on the news tonight that there may be wind gusts at 40 - 50 mph late tomorrow afternoon so we could end up cutting our hunting short .

Going out today was a bust but I had to get it out of my syatem and my son wanted to get out . After it stopped raining , we were in the stands . There were some serious wind gusts and we got down after a couple hours of swaying in the breeze . We walked across the fiels and then walked through the thick stuff to see if we might spot deer but saw nothing . So much for bow hunting for the season . Gotta get ready for gun season now ..........

I got to Geneseo by 5:15 this morning . A bit early . I set up my chair blind where I thought my sister in law suggested and didn't care for the spot so I moved it to the other side of the upper pasture lot . I had my ML and Contender 7-30 waters with me . The 1st shot I heard was at 6:15 . Sun rise was at 7:12 . Saw 3 doe hauling butt across the lower pasture lot at 7:20 . Heard shooting all around in the distance . Several 5 round barages . I wasn't comfortable being constrained in the chair blind , walked up to my car , put away the ML & pistol and got out the 12 guage .

I walked over by the gulley and saw a doe at the bottom of the gulley . I checked several spots to try to get a clear shot and cranked off a round . She moved about 5' and dropped like a rock . The doe was about 60-70 yards below me but only about 20 yards horizontal distance . Saw another doe down there and shot again . I didn't have the buttstock in my shoulder ane wasn't sure if I hit the 2nd doe . She had run across the creek and booked . I walked out around and came into the gulley from the other side . It was all thorns and brambles and was thick with that crap . No sign of the other doe and no blood anywhere , I got tore up pretty good but I didn't want to leave a wounded deer laying around . After checking and rechecking , I was convinced that I hadn't hit the 2nd doe .

I crossed the creek and got to the deer . She was a pretty good sized doe . My sister in law checked around and didn't see the doe or any blood . I field dressed the deed after taking a few pics . Took some video but I can't get into PhotoBucket .

Took my pack , gun , etc up the bank and got the sled and some parachute cord . Never would have gotten the deer through the thorns & briars so we hauled it up the hill a little bit at a time . It took us almost an hour to get it up the steep bank and I was sucking wind when we finally got it to the top . She had a 40 1/4" girth .

My sister in law asked where the deer was when I shot . I told her it was 5' from where it layed . She said , "why the hell did you shoot it when it was in the gulley" ? I told her that it was the only opportuniy I had so far ...........

After I got it in the trailer I had my sister in law go to her stand and I did a long walk to see if I could I could push anything her way and check for blood . Nothing . I had a partial knee replacement about 3 years ago it it bothered me a bit . Must have been the gully climbing along with old age . Felt whipped when I got home so i'll butcher the deer tomorrow . It should be okay , it's 41 degrees right now .

I set up a tent blind in Geneseo this am that allowed me to view half of a pasture lot and an open field . I was set up by 6:30 and stayed there until 11:30 . I didn't see a thing . Around 10 am my sister in law walked along the gulley edge to see if she might kick anything out and then went up and down her lane-way . Nuttin ! I had heard shooting north of me between 7:30 - 8:30 . It was cold and breezy .

I left at 11:30 , got something to eat , took care of a few things and was back in the blind before 2 pm . Still nothing . At 4:45 I saw a doe and a fawn walking up the middle of the adjacent field about 200+ yards away . I packed up and left just after 5 pm .

Drove to Geneseo this am and was in the blind by 6:20 am . There was about 3" of snow on the ground . I saw 3 doe run across the field to the west of my position at 7:03 . Thought maybe some hunters spooked them . They were too far for me with the ML but if I had been sitting in my sister in laws stand . I would have had about a 60 yard shot . At 7:33 I saw movement through the trees in that same field and 5 more slick heads went down the field heading north . I hadn't heard much of any shooting all morning long . Didn't see anything else and at 11 I took a walk down the laneway and half way to the woods . Saw very few tracks heading east / west . It was 31 degrees this am with a "really feel " temp of 13 degrees . I walked across the north end of the field that the deer had gone through but never saw any tracks . I walked across the field and never saw any tracks of the 8 deer that I had seen much earlier . The wind had drifted the snow and covered them up . I called it quits at 12:30 and headed for Groveland.

When I got to my Mother's house , I figured I would get warm and visit before heading to a stand . At 3 pm I told her I was going to get my gear and head for the woods . Stepped outside and there was a strong wind blowing from the west which would be detrimental to hunting from my stand . I figured the cold wind had beaten me today and said nuts to it and went back in the house .

Here is some video of the area I hunt in Geneseo

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/parker-bows/Forum%20Stuff/?action=view&current=GeneseoHuntingSpot.mp4

Made the trip to Geneseo again . Sat in the same blind . Saw a couple fox playing in one of the fields . At 8 am , I saw a doe and two fawns poking across the neighbor's field about 200 yards from mo spot . At 10:30 I got out of the blind bot my nippers and headed down to the laneway . I cleared a spot that put me 110 yards closer to where I had seen the deer for the last two outings . Moved the DogHouse blind to the cleared spot .

Needed a break and drove to the DEC office in Avon to check on something and then went to get something to eat . Checked out the Avon Gun Shop and headed back to Geneseo .

Sat in the relocated blind until just after 5 pm . Got my gear together and started to leave . It had gotten fairly dark . When I was 1/2 way to my car I looked down the field and could see movement . I looked through the binos and could see 8 deer slowly crossing the field . I wasn't about to shoot as it had gotten too dark and wasn't legal .

Those buggers are smart and know when it's safe to come out !

Those buggers are smart and know when it's safe to come out !

I swear they can tell time. And one of them must have a copy of the hunting regulations. Also I believe they have a calendar hidden out there somewhere. In previous years I have seen those critters come out on my lawn to feed on my shrubs in broad daylight on the exact day following the end of the season. How do they do that???

Doc