Fast Eddie's Fables 2010

fasteddie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headed to Geneseo yesterday am and had a deer start to cross the road 1/2 mile from where I parked . Was in my blind by 6:30 and stayed there until 10:30 . Saw a lone fox around 8:30 . Not much shooting happening . Walked down through the pond field , into the woods , and back through some thick stuff . Never saw a thing . Drove down to the village , got something to eat and used the john at walmart .

Headed back to the property . As I passed Country Club Road , I looked at the field to the south and saw 2 deer running across the field and they ran behind a hunter that was facing the other way . He didn't see them until they were past him . He was smart enough to be facing the other way because if he had shot at the deer , he would have been shooting toward the highway .

I was back in the stand by 1:30 and stayed until 4:30 . Left the stand while it was still light out because I didn't want to cross the rising creek in the dark . Saw absolutely nothing !

I have had the Honda ATV parked in the back yard for about a month . Although I had it covered with a tarp and a new ATV cover , I figured it was time to put it away as we have some deep snow forecasted . I put some Sta-Bil in the tank and ran the Honda for a while . It's 22 degrees out with a "really feel " temp of 3 degrees . As long as I kept moving it wasn't too bad but it was still cold never the less .

I'm getting too old to go out and hunt in this kind of Temperature . I remember hunting in cold like this years ago . It was soooo cold that I got out of the treestand to walk and warm up . I took about 5 steps from the treestand and had 3 doe step into the lane-way . I aimed and shot the largest one . When i was field dressing the deer , my knife hand was freezing so I switched hands to warm up my right hand inside the deer . When i cut the does esophagus , I barely ticked my finger with the blade and it required stitches .

So now I don't just consider hunting in the cold but also what has to be done after the kill . If the winds die down , it won't be so bad . I'll be watching the forecast for the week ..........

I was driving by the Gun Club a few days ago and fired the load out of my ML as it had been in there since Nov 20 . Cleaned the ML today and put a charge in it as I pretty much plan to head to Geneseo tomorrow am . I am hoping that since no one has been hunting since Sunday that things may have quieted down and the deer might be a bit relaxed . My sister in law said there isn't much snow down her way but it's still going to be cold . I'll take my trailer with me just to be optomistic ! Hoping the roads won't be too bad !

Struck out in Geneseo today . I was in the blind for 3+ hours this am and saw nothing . It had snowed pretty good for a while . I took a walk but it was rough . The ground isn't frozen and retains water . There are horse trails and walking them is like walking through a gushy plowed field . The woods is underwater and the creek / ditch doesn't flow . Anyway , I was trying to walk through the pond field on a horse trail and lost my balance . I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and saw 3 tails hauling butt . I assumed they were doe and they were heading toward the ditch so there was no way to try to tail them . I walked back up to my vehicle by way of the gulley . Saw nothing .

Went to the village and got something to eat . Was back at the blind by 1:30 and stayed until 4:15 . In the future , I think I will avoid this hunting location if there is a real wet season . I would like to be able to get the okay to cut a couple trails in the gulley and bow hunt that spot .

So , today was a bust but at least I saw a few deer . Saw some on the way home also ( in fields off Rt 390 ) .

I might give Groveland a try Saturday .

I got in my stand before daylight this am . It faces South so the cold wind was blowing at my face . I have a cold and spent most of my time wiping my nose and suppressing any coughs . Got down and did some walking . Never saw anything . Visited with my mother and left . The sun came out this afternoon but I am all congested and figured I had enough . I have a sore throat and really feel crappy .

I was really bummed out with not seeing anything as I had been quite optomistic . Not much time left .

I had seen vehicles pulled off at different spots along the roads on the way to Groveland . All of them were gone when I headed home around 12:30 . Apparently I wasn't the only Wimp out there today .

I see that all gun season. Everyone gone by 1pm. In the late season I notice more movement in the second half of the day so I tend to sleep in and hunt afternoons. I got to the state lands at 11am Sunday. Trucks all over. I take a walk and come out and all of them gone.

Hope you are feeling better to get out there tomorrow and finish the season off with a bang. If I didn't have a 40' container coming to unload tomorrow, I would have called in to go out but I just can't do it. Good Luck and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...

Well , i'll be heading for Geneseo in a few minutes . I want to take down my hunting blind and set a trail cam in the gulley to see what traffic there might be as I would like to put a treestand there this summer . I hope the creek isn't too high to cross .