Tag exchange

Slugger09

you have to bring the head with tagged attached to either the check station in Ridge or DEC HQ in Stony Brook............you should always call before you go to make sure someone is available to issue the bonus tag...I may be wrong on this one, but pretty sure they are only issued if you take an antlerless deer.

ok, spoke to someone at Region HQ today regarding Bonus DMP's...............the website is currently being updated with the correct info and should be available soon........according to them, the bonus tag's will only be for antlerless deer, they are also starting a program that will enable successful hunter's to email photos of the filled tags to them, eliminating the need to bring the deer head and filled tag to a check station, in the message they left they didn't specify if tags will be able to be printed out, mailed or how you will get another.

ok, spoke to someone at Region HQ today regarding Bonus DMP's...............the website is currently being updated with the correct info and should be available soon........according to them, the bonus tag's will only be for antlerless deer, they are also starting a program that will enable successful hunter's to email photos of the filled tags to them, eliminating the need to bring the deer head and filled tag to a check station, in the message they left they didn't specify if tags will be able to be printed out, mailed or how you will get another.

So you're saying the info on there now is not correct and not updated?

It's partly correct, according to them there is conflicting info and it will be updated, when I spoke to someone yesterday I explained how one part said bonus tags will be only for antlerless deer, and then it went on to say those who use bonus tags for antlered deer will not be issued another bonus tag. They did not say whether or not they will totally eliminate the process of allowing deer to be checked in and have tags issued in person or if they are going to the email process only.......the info about youths being allowed to use crossbows is totally incorrect.

Edited by jjb4900

It's partly correct, according to them there is conflicting info and it will be updated, when I spoke to someone yesterday I explained how one part said bonus tags will be only for antlerless deer, and then it went on to say those who use bonus tags for antlered deer will not be issued another bonus tag. They did not say whether or not they will totally eliminate the process of allowing deer to be checked in and have tags issued in person or if they are going to the email process only.......the info about youths being allowed to use crossbows is totally incorrect.

I guess we'll see if the link I provided eta updated. Although not clear as gin, I think most folks can see the BOLD and make sense out of it.

This topic has nothing to do with the youth crossbow.

For me, Not the end of the world if i can't earn a bonus buck. but it changes my decision process in terms of what I decide to Shoot. Have to be more selective. Also, I'm not sure ill bother with getting doe tags. Between bow, muzzle and rifle plenty of meat, and 2 bucks.

For me, Not the end of the world if i can't earn a bonus buck. but it changes my decision process in terms of what I decide to Shoot. Have to be more selective. Also, I'm not sure ill bother with getting doe tags. Between bow, muzzle and rifle plenty of meat, and 2 bucks.

agreed, i think this may have the reverse effect that they hope for (thinning herd)

my neighbor for example is a LI big buck hunter, really takes some impressive animals. he only shoots the does to get the "earn a buck tag" with the policy change he will prob take his 2 bucks and quit years past he has taken 4 or so bucks and 4 or so does

Yep that's the way it goes, i always looked to fill the freezer with upstate deer and hunt for a wall hanger here on the island, however last year my neighbor gave me a steak from his buck he shot on Long Island, and that was one delicious piece of venison.

That's exactly it Danny. I always like to save my reg tag for rifle upstate. Getting that bonus buck tag was a way to justify shooting a buck with bow that was decent but not "what I'm after". Just have to be more selective now. Again, not a huge deal.

Think about the bucks that get an extra year on them then. Should be really impressive and may end up what you really want then.

Its true geno. I wasn't happy at first but now guys can't shoot 5 bucks legally on the island anymore which hopefully will lead to more and bigger bucks in the years to come.

John

wow its true? 

as far as bigger bucks in the years to come with the deer take going to be essentially lower, id say some extremely big deer will begin to hit the ground over the next few years and more of them. i mean there are a ton of guys out here that do a lot of poaching unfortunately and take way more then the legal share. "oh i shot 8 bucks on LI this past season" well you can not do that legally and there is a lot of guys i talk to who say stuff like that.

but we shall see john, with a decrease in tags will come an increase in deer which is NOT what this island needs so i doubt it will stick for seasons to come.