EHD is back - 2022

BizCT

36 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

That's what happens when you get trophy only hunters regulating the deer herd. Should go to earn a buck tag for that county.

Who on this forum besides @Dom hunts Dutchess county? I only did twice last year.

I think zero rain since May is a bigger factor

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 12:04 PM, BizCT said:

Who on this forum besides @Dom hunts Dutchess county? I only did twice last year.

I think zero rain since May is a bigger factor

I hunt in Dutchess. Its been super dry. Our pond is down about 1-2 ft. Last year I had a few dead deer rotting away in the swamp. I haven't seen any this summer yet but I haven't been up in a few weeks. 

It only makes sense if you allow all them old doe to walk around unchecked they're gonna get sick and spread it.

LOL you’d know mature bucks are more prone if you studied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It only makes sense if you allow all them old doe to walk around unchecked they're gonna get sick and spread it.

to me old is close to fully mature or older. not anything less than 5.5 years old. i'm an advocate for stacking up old nanny doe left and right to lower the population if needed. that doesn't have anything to do with EHD though. just a guess on my part but seeing how they're done growing and typically nursing one or less fawns, they require less water. that's where you'll find a concentration of biting midges that transmit EHD. EHD otherwise doesn't care about age.

• Like 1