Best Hunting tools

alozcarney

There are a few friends/acquaintances of mine who are interested in hunting, and they always ask what is the best hunting tools. I was reminded of the days when I first started hunting and bought the tools that I could afford, but ended up spending more money over the years than if I had saved up and bought better quality tools at the beginning.
I would like to see your list based on the following. How would you tell your younger self or a new hunter who has a finite amount of money and is just getting started what are the top 5 essential items to concentrate on? Order of the list indicates where you would spend your money, most on #1, etc. The amount I want to set is not based on a dollar amount since everyone's budget and financial situation differs.
Here’s mine:
1 - Optics (for this purposes binos and gun scope, spotter a separate item)
2- Frame pack - at least for where I hunt now
3- Boot
4 - Range Finder
5- Rifle (does not include scope)

I wish someone had mentored me on this when I was younger. I could have saved myself a lot of money.

1 - Quality boots and clothing. (things that are going to keep you warm and dry, not the newest camo pattern) A hand muff with some HotHands was one of the best and cheapest purchases I ever made. 

2 - Firearm in a tried-and-true caliber that is readily available

3 - Quality optics - again doesn't need to be the most expensive. I use Nikon ProStaff on almost everything. and don't get overly high-powered magnification. you're not going to be taking 600yrd shoots anytime soon.

4 - Functional pack for the type of hunting they will be doing. I like a small pack with multiple pockets to keep my gear separated.

5 - Seat pad or chair (how will you keep your ass warm and dry)

Parting advice: Keep it simple, the more crap you bring into the woods the more noise and movement you tend to make., and the more weight you end up carrying around. Leave the toys and gadgets for the guys on TV.

• Like 4

Here's what I use most (hence most important to me as primarily a bow hunter)
1. Climber and harness
2. Range finder
3. Varying layers of camo for different weather and one heavy suit for late season with appropriate footwear to match weather.
4. Field and butchering knives
5. Chest freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alozcarney said:
There are a few friends/acquaintances of mine who are interested in hunting, and they always ask what is the best hunting tools. I was reminded of the days when I first started hunting and bought the tools that I could afford, but ended up spending more money over the years than if I had saved up and bought better quality tools at the beginning.
I would like to see your list based on the following. How would you tell your younger self or a new hunter who has a finite amount of money and is just getting started what are the top 5 essential items to concentrate on? Order of the list indicates where you would spend your money, most on #1, etc. The amount I want to set is not based on a dollar amount since everyone's budget and financial situation differs.
Here’s mine:
1 - Optics (for this purposes binos and gun scope, spotter a separate item)
2- Frame pack - at least for where I hunt now
3- Boot
4 - Range Finder
5- Rifle (does not include scope)

Spam

• Like 2

1- cell phone. That has a hunting app that shows my wind, a weather app that I can check out for incoming storms and wind direction changes, a compass app that has come in handy a couple times, a flashlight, the ability to call a buddy for help with a blood trail or a injury. And I can BS on this site or take pics of something while hunting. Etc

2- range finder if a bow hunter

3- lighted nocks

4- heated vest and hand warmers

5- a bow - cause bow hunting is just the best.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's what I use most (hence most important to me as primarily a bow hunter)
1. Climber and harness
2. Range finder
3. Varying layers of camo for different weather and one heavy suit for late season with appropriate footwear to match weather.
4. Field and butchering knives
5. Chest freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My chest freezer pisses me off- hate digging thru the damn thing to find what I want. I need an upright but not willing to spend the $ when I already have a freezer now. But I bitch about that freezer every damn time. I even have different items sorted in bags in there and it's still a Pita.

• Like 1

Good quality equipment is a given, half assed equipment can make for a half assed hunt. For me the most indispensable item is a good quality compass, I am a wanderer for Deer and when hunting Rabbits, Hare or Coon with dogs you can end up a long way from where you started, it is easy to get turned around in big woods, learning to use and having a good compass makes getting back to the truck easy.

Al

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, airedale said:

Good quality equipment is a given, half assed equipment can make for a half assed hunt. For me the most indispensable item is a good quality compass, I am a wanderer for Deer and when hunting Rabbits, Hare or Coon with dogs you can end up a long way from where you started, it is easy to get turned around in big woods, learning to use and having a good compass makes getting back to the truck easy.

Al

Your going to accidentally start a whole other thread on compasses.

anything i bring is important or i don't bring it. lol

rarely ever do i go into the woods without a rangefinder. if hunting with a gun then it's also shooting sticks. I could hunt in plain clothes with no calls, scent reduction, or lure scents. i can even get a most deer out without field dressing if i needed to. got to make the shot count though.

if it's cold or wet it's got to be something to block wind and keep me from getting wet.

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

1- cell phone. That has a hunting app that shows my wind, a weather app that I can check out for incoming storms and wind direction changes, a compass app that has come in handy a couple times, a flashlight, the ability to call a buddy for help with a blood trail or a injury. And I can BS on this site or take pics of something while hunting. Etc

2- range finder if a bow hunter

3- lighted nocks

4- heated vest and hand warmers

5- a bow - cause bow hunting is just the best.

Beware of your number one.  Mine cost me a monster Adirondack buck, 2 opening day of gun season’s ago.  While you are hunting, the best place for that smart phone to be is in your pocket.

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

im a quick draw with the phone.  Got a pocket in front of my jacket.

I am super careful with mine, after that misfortune (2) years ago.   Unless I am in one of my very well concealed blinds, I only bring it out when I am damn sure there is no deer in close.    The 3 ft high, weathered-barnwood walls that I have around most of my blinds, are great for smart phone usage though.  Even a sharp-eyed hen turkey, 10 yards away, had no clue when I was texting away in there this spring.

A08A41D6-8584-455A-9B89-3BDC3508FF82.thumb.jpeg.5d4b464e9718a14f9f731ab01c07cdcc.jpeg  

A good comfortable stand.

Game ears  if your not use to hearing game vs being a visual hunter. Kiĺl a lot more game with your ears. Especially bowhunting.

Good rangefinder and learn when and how to use it. Mark trees  bushes shrubs before the game your after shows  up.

A good knife. And learn how to use it properly and sharpen it.

Never really needed  binoculars as mu shooting is usually under 50 yards and the woods is thick enough not to see further. Before game cams  i used them to monitor game.out in fields . But cameras show me whats around a lot better.  Out west where it more spot and stalk i can see the need. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

A good comfortable stand.

Game ears  if your not use to hearing game vs being a visual hunter. Kiĺl a lot more game with your ears. Especially bowhunting.

Good rangefinder and learn when and how to use it. Mark trees  bushes shrubs before the game your after shows  up.

A good knife. And learn how to use it properly and sharpen it.

Never really needed  binoculars as mu shooting is usually under 50 yards and the woods is thick enough not to see further. Before game cams  i used them to monitor game.out in fields . But cameras show me whats around a lot better.  Out west where it more spot and stalk i can see the need. 

I don't carry binoculars in the field anymore either. I do have an old monocular that came from my sister's Marlboro miles that I keep in my pack. It's great when the sun is going down and you think you see a monster buck that has snuck in, but usually it's just a brush pile that has been there all day.

Very interesting thread . I enjoy seeing what others use and why , I’ve never owned a range finder or shooting sticks yet some put them at the top of their list .

Must me a Larry thing , but I never go,in the woods without binoculars ,ever . But in farm county I may want to see what that deer is at 500 yards, or even a better look at a rack in thick stuff 50 yards off,or a trespasser across the field  . 

I’ll always have binos, knife, flashlight, and a bandanna,actually the last three everyday all day year round  , add a cheap combo rifle and glass , Muck boots and I’m ready for deer season .