Land Shopping

phade

15 hours ago, crappyice said:

I often talk about my hunts at my buddy's in Columbia county and really like his set up primarily because of his neighbor. He is extremely lucky to have a guy across the street who "knows everyone" and can do and teach him everything farm related. Bonus- he doesn't hunt and has bunches of acres that he is generous sharing.
Meeting the neighbors would be a priority of mine if I were not going to be there year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree.  i'm extremely lucky that my neighbors 'know everyone' and seem to keep an eye on my place.  Having a bad neighbor situation could easily ruin the experience.

43 minutes ago, virgil said:

Totally agree.  i'm extremely lucky that my neighbors 'know everyone' and seem to keep an eye on my place.  Having a bad neighbor situation could easily ruin the experience.

Even at 45 minutes from my house I was concerned about vandalism/theft at my camp. The first year or so I didn't leave anything of value behind. Now after a few years of no issues, and getting to know the neighbors, I have no concerns. I got lucky and ended up with great neighbors - if I was doing it again I would for sure try to meet the neighbors before purchase.

• Like 1

Just another view, if you were building a lodge with smaller acreage but as deluxe or spartan as you want with whatever you see fit sky box blinds, trails, ponds, food plots, truck and or utv. I would think you could at least break even plus have an asset to sell if you ever want to even if only as a residence. As the owner you could book it for yourself and friends whenever you want and take bookings for fishing, skiing or whatever when available. As for security you can put in ring cameras which will alert when anyone goes near them with an alarm on buildings or have caretaker in exchange for free rent.

• 1 month later...