My new Athlon binoculars

Wow !
Someone here awhile back talked about this brand , so with our upcoming trip to Alaska ,I figured Mrs Nomad would like a pair of binoculars, so she gets my old Steiners and I bought me these ! I’m not an optics guy by any means ,but these blow my Steiner Military and Marnie ones away . Crazy bright and clear ,cost me $179 . The reviews were all very good and I see why .

Cant wait to use them out there and hunting this season . If you’re looking for glass give them a look see , yes made in China . Lifetime guarantee .

814D91E4-9599-4381-946D-D83F97330728.jpeg

14514FC7-50B9-456E-BCFE-FC3C983D0D39.jpeg

• Like 6

Dang, I could have got them for you a bit cheaper as I have an account with them. Nice glass. I know a few people like them alot - they remind me of Vortex back in the early days of their business before turning into a mass/big box effort. I don't run any of their stuff personally, but I've moved a fair amount. Their scopes are good too for the money. Most of my optics are Sig Sauer, Bushnell, Vanguard at the ED level. I really like Maven but I can't justify the price gap between them and some of the legacy lines like Zeiss. The Argos line up is good though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phade said:

Dang, I could have got them for you a bit cheaper as I have an account with them. Nice glass. I know a few people like them alot - they remind me of Vortex back in the early days of their business before turning into a mass/big box effort. I don't run any of their stuff personally, but I've moved a fair amount. Their scopes are good too for the money. Most of my optics are Sig Sauer, Bushnell, Vanguard at the ED level. I really like Maven but I can't justify the price gap between them and some of the legacy lines like Zeiss. The Argos line up is good though. 

I may hit you up for a smaller profile bino than what I currently have in my Nikon.

Something easier to pack and carry?

15 minutes ago, phade said:

Thanks ! With what this trip is costing , getting them for free wouldn’t have moved the needle . Lol 

Also the wife bought a bunch of shoes , to see which looked the best with her dress for our daughters wedding. She sent them back and my prime acct had I pretty hefty positive balance , I also got hiking pants, and compression socks .

Edited by Nomad
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I may hit you up for a smaller profile bino than what I currently have in my Nikon.

Something easier to pack and carry?

For use in a blind I believe? If so, there are good options out there but my experience has taught me those are the pairs where you probably want to spend a bit more money on the lens quality in your situation. Generally you'll get the same good bino construction across similar price points (one not being better than the other), but the lens at the 25-28 objective size will be a factor because you want to get as much light transmission and ED is the way to go to help with low light viewing and aberration. Again, opinion, but I think aberration is worse in a blind IMO because of the way light is inside - it's either bright or dark, and that can cause issues with clarity and use.

For whitetail hunting, if I had a pair of 8x42 or 10x42 and an 8x28 or 10x25, I would put more more funds toward those small ones because of use frequency. That is my personal opinion.

I too run Nikon for my small pack binos - I got a steal on them due to closeout. Maven, the Athlon Midas, and the Sig Sauer Zulu 3 are probably the ones I would look at if I had to replace these Nikon. I would consider open bridge style to help reduce weight and profile as you noted. Keep in mind I do more stand hunting than blind hunting. If I were you, I might focus more on the lens as noted, which probably puts the Maven at the top of those three. JMO.

Sig Sauer is making a name for themselves in the low to mid market across scopes, binos, and RFs. I've sold a ton of them and people rave on them.

Edited by phade
  • Thanks 1