Pizza

MPHunter

Wondering what you guys that make pizza at home use for sauce. Buy it, make it? We use this canned sauce and we like it...pretty much tomatoes and some garlic. Half pepper steak and onions and half cheese done on the grill tonight dd6cde4a66262bbd5a48422c03fbd24d.jpgc38ba92c9a7e7a02df4fe56a2d1a519f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7abad571a4ef684cfe85a2d52b8ad0c0.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Thank me later. Available in most grocery stores between buffalo and Syracuse.  Although its a few more bucks than the Don. 

4CB8CE2C-9902-41A4-B90E-50C886C49B54.png

I'll have to check that out next time I'm in Buffalo and hit a Wegman's.

We make our own as our family has a few pizza shops. 65-75 years running and won Best Pizza in Rochester running away the one time we entered. Got to the finals and doubled the vote count on the #2 finisher head-to-head.

Sugar and Lemon juice....

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

We make our own as our family has a few pizza shops. 65-75 years running and won Best Pizza in Rochester running away the one time we entered. Got to the finals and doubled the vote count on the #2 finisher head-to-head.

I need more!!!
Crushed tomato? Or paste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, MPHunter said:

Wondering what you guys that make pizza at home use for sauce. Buy it, make it? We use this canned sauce and we like it...pretty much tomatoes and some garlic. Half pepper steak and onions and half cheese done on the grill tonight dd6cde4a66262bbd5a48422c03fbd24d.jpgc38ba92c9a7e7a02df4fe56a2d1a519f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7abad571a4ef684cfe85a2d52b8ad0c0.jpg

Never thought to do a pizza on the grill??? That looks delicious!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phade said:

Any Barstool Dave Portnoy pizza reviews?

• Like 1

I make homemade spaghetti sauce, then use tastefully simple pizzeria seasoning when I make pizzas just sprinkle on the sauce . Battalingi dough. 
my Gma’s sauce recipie has chicken, spareribs, sausage, and meatballs all cooked in the sauce over 4 hours so it has a ton of flavor. I make it in bulk and can it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phade said:

Which ones? Id love to check them out. Ive been here 30 years and havent found a decent pizza yet! COME AT ME WNY!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Which ones? Id love to check them out. Ive been here 30 years and havent found a decent pizza yet! COME AT ME WNY!

We appreciate your honesty!

-SENY/CT

BTW, @Jeremy K told me you guys have Pizza Hut and Dominoes that you may want to check out.

Edited by BizCT

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I need more!!!
Crushed tomato? Or paste?

It's a sweet sauce. We find that most people really like it. I'd say the sauce throws 1 out of 25-30 people for a loop because they don't like sweetness. It's an original recipe dated back to the 40's/50s. But it's extremely unique - I haven't yet found anything similar across all of my travels. We do find people are very loyal to it since it's not replicated elsewhere. People from the towns where we have shops - who move away and come back to visit family - often make it the first meal as a pilgrimage of sorts. Pretty humbling for the family. It's also not cheap. Premium pricing due to ingredient cost.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Never thought to do a pizza on the grill??? That looks delicious!!!

I didn't actually "grill" it. I just used the grill like an oven. Pre-heat with all burners on high until temp is about 550. Turn off the middle burner and set the pizza on pan over that with the outside burners still on high. If the top is done but underside needs a little more cooking turn the middle burner back on and finish with the grill lid up.  

• Thanks 1

I use homemade sauce for my pizza. We like a very very thin crust and sometimes we use homemade pesto as a base sauce or just olive oil. On the thin crust pizzas cooked in our wood fired oven less is more when it comes to toppings and sauce.20200507_185015.thumb.jpg.3d9caa61bd22af8c5390cdd8a8356e45.jpg

We use a garlic paste under our white pizza which always ends up being the favorite

• Like 1

I didn't actually "grill" it. I just used the grill like an oven. Pre-heat with all burners on high until temp is about 550. Turn off the middle burner and set the pizza on pan over that with the outside burners still on high. If the top is done but underside needs a little more cooking turn the middle burner back on and finish with the grill lid up.  

I have a stone that I put right in the BBQ. Gives the nice charred bottom
acd1a1c7d321c04cd7894628e1bf1b22.jpg

• Like 3

A trick to note if you're trying to balance crispness with soft dough on the inside. Set a small amount of water inside the oven or grill on a cast iron skillet, etc. Right next to the pizza. About five minutes before completion. It'll put in just enough moisture as the crust seals up at the end.

Edited by phade
  • Thanks 1