Cougar

pointman

I am still waiting to get Bigfoot or a Yettie on my trail camera. All joking aside. I know there are lots of fox on my property but have yet to get any on trail cam. Most trail camera's have a slight deal, I have tested mine by just doing, by just walking by at a normal pace, and I was out of the picture by the time the camera too a photo. Most trail camera's do not have a instant trigger.

Also what was the chance of 1 lone mountain lion getting hit by a car ?

Edited by HectorBuckBuster

I am still waiting to get Bigfoot or a Yettie on my trail camera. All joking aside. I know there are lots of fox on my property but have yet to get any on trail cam. Most trail camera's have a slight deal, I have tested mine by just doing, by just walking by at a normal pace, and I was out of the picture by the time the camera too a photo. Most trail camera's do not have a instant trigger.

Also what was the chance of 1 lone mountain lion getting hit by a car 

Very Slim if Upstate NY, but kinda high in Greenwich CT.

With the New York state moose population estimated to be near 600 animals , why is it there are very few photos taken of them from trail cameras ? They are certainly not elusive when compared to other species. Was the mountain lion that was killed in Connecticut captured on anyone's trail camera ?

There are a ton of pics out there.  I have a few friends that hunt up north and use trail cams.  They get multiple pictures each year of cows calfs and bull moose.  

I pray that Mt. Lions get a breeding population in NYS, I would rather hunt lions than Whitetails anyway.

You have lion dogs now or will you be getting them?  How much land you have sewed up for running those cats?

I'll stick to WT deer................

You have lion dogs now or will you be getting them?  How much land you have sewed up for running those cats?

I'll stick to WT deer................

Let's be serious, it's never going to happen in our lifetimes.

But if it did, I would buy a couple of dogs from outwest. Then land-wise, there would be tons of farmer's looking for people to come in and get rid of lions who are eating their livestock.

• 1 month later...

I am probably going to regret saying this...but I actually called the DEC in early December 2010 after seeing what I thought was a mountain lion at the crack of dawn one morning on my drive to work after a big snowstorm.  I live about 20 minutes south of Lake George.  I was fairly certain it was a mountain lion, but didn't think it was a wild animal, I thought it might have escaped form the ADK Zoo or something.  It was about 20 feet from the road on the edge of the woods.  The DEC basically laughed at me and then I went home and told my family and they did the same.  The DEC said that it was probably a coyote or bobcat so I figured I saw wrong. 

That weekend, I went to a hunting camp in the southern tier for the last weekend of gun season and told the guys what I saw.  They showed me a printed up trail cam picture that they caught of a mountain lion at the camp.  I will see if I can get them to send me the digital image so I can post it here.  

I was excited when I heard about a cat they found in CT, and even more excited to hear it passed through NY right around the time I called the DEC. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mountain lions used to be in NYS....

I am a firm believer they are in the state. DEC will swear they are not here and like you said, will laugh at you or the thought, but they are here.

Do I think there are a lot? No. but I think there are more than people think in the state...

I took a picture of a track that, to me, looked like it could be a cougar track. I compared to pictures online and books, it looked close but I couldn't be 100% certain. I'll try to find the pic, it was years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am probably going to regret saying this...but I actually called the DEC in early December 2010 after seeing what I thought was a mountain lion at the crack of dawn one morning on my drive to work after a big snowstorm. I live about 20 minutes south of Lake George. I was fairly certain it was a mountain lion, but didn't think it was a wild animal, I thought it might have escaped form the ADK Zoo or something. It was about 20 feet from the road on the edge of the woods. The DEC basically laughed at me and then I went home and told my family and they did the same. The DEC said that it was probably a coyote or bobcat so I figured I saw wrong.

That weekend, I went to a hunting camp in the southern tier for the last weekend of gun season and told the guys what I saw. They showed me a printed up trail cam picture that they caught of a mountain lion at the camp. I will see if I can get them to send me the digital image so I can post it here.

I was excited when I heard about a cat they found in CT, and even more excited to hear it passed through NY right around the time I called the DEC.

Dont regret saying it. Few years back we went down for gun season in the southern tier, and our host had some trail cam pictures of one from about 2 miles away. It was a mountain lion, there was no denying it. I think they are here, and dec laughs it off like oh crap the people are onto us!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1382028326.400952.jpgi took this pic at camp opening weekend of bow the track was about the size of my fist. I think it's a dog but not sure

I can't really tell from the pictures but it is usually prettry fool proof if you can see any nail marks at the front of the print , it is canine. Cats have retractable claws and aren't out while walking.

There was one killed on the northway near lake George, last year or the year before. dec had denied sightings up until someone nailed it with the car. then they said it wandered in from the midewest. I have personally seen one on two different occasions one summer. It was quite obvious it was the same one and they were virtually in the same spot. i heard a local had picture of it from earlier in the summer, so it was in the same area for a summer. as far as breeding no way. i get no kicks telling BS stories, DEC.

There was one killed on the northway near lake George, last year or the year before. dec had denied sightings up until someone nailed it with the car. then they said it wandered in from the midewest. I have personally seen one on two different occasions one summer. It was quite obvious it was the same one and they were virtually in the same spot. i heard a local had picture of it from earlier in the summer, so it was in the same area for a summer. as far as breeding no way. i get no kicks telling BS stories, DEC.

It was killed in ct, spotted in lake george the winter before by former dec.

• Like 3

Huh.

Oddly enough, there are cat "guru's" here on the site who seem to laugh at the notion of cougars in NYS. That is until there was the confirmed one that passed through and was killed in CT.

I don't claim to have seen one, but I've heard some pretty compelling eye witness stories.

Actually, most of the "gurus" here point out that the one time in recent history that there was an actual cougar passing through NY, there was plenty of documented evidence (tracks, scat, fur, etc), not just eye witness accounts.

Edited by Sogaard
  • Like 2

Actually, most of the "gurus" here point out that the one time in recent history that there was an actual cougar passing through NY, there was plenty of documented evidence (tracks, scat, fur, etc), not just eye witness accounts.

Precisely. And we have asked for pics over and over and over, and guess what we get. Nada.

There was absolutely NO evidence of the cougar that wandered through NYS released to the public prior to it being killed in Greenwich CT.  In fact for months after it was killed NYS DEP was stating that it was a released pet.  Only after CT determined the animal to be a wild cat, did NYS release evidence to the public.

Hence the one and only cougar known to have walked through NYS might never have been known to us if it wasn’t killed in CT and proven to be a wild animal by CT state

Edited by mmkay